Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel sender calibration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
HalfMoon
Is there such a thing?
Mine is empty when the gauge reads 1/4 tank. Don't ask how I discovered bananabang.gif
Dave_Darling
Not really.

The light in the gauge should go on when there is only a gallon or two left in the tank. Hopefully that still works? If so, rely on it over the needle in the gauge.

The sender just varies resistance from full to empty. I forget which way is which; it might be that higher resistance is a lower reading on the gauge? The only way I can think of to calibrate it would be to add a resistor in series with the sender, or in parallel with it.

If the light isn't working, you should probably pull the sender out and check it over; possibly clean it up so the float moves smoothly.

--DD
HalfMoon
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 20 2014, 01:37 AM) *

Not really.

The light in the gauge should go on when there is only a gallon or two left in the tank. Hopefully that still works? If so, rely on it over the needle in the gauge.

The sender just varies resistance from full to empty. I forget which way is which; it might be that higher resistance is a lower reading on the gauge? The only way I can think of to calibrate it would be to add a resistor in series with the sender, or in parallel with it.

If the light isn't working, you should probably pull the sender out and check it over; possibly clean it up so the float moves smoothly.

--DD

Rats! Essentially it either works or it doesn't. My light does still work so that's good but I want a reliable reading so I guess I'll get a new sender :-(
Mike Bellis
I think McMark did a write up on rebuilding the sender unit. You can try to clean the resistor wire with lacquer thinner and a que tip before getting more invasive. You need to carefully open the sender to get to it.
HalfMoon
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Sep 20 2014, 12:04 PM) *

I think McMark did a write up on rebuilding the sender unit. You can try to clean the resistor wire with lacquer thinner and a que tip before getting more invasive. You need to carefully open the sender to get to it.

Uber grood piratenanner.gif
I'll look for the thread.
Dave_Darling
That may not fix the problem. The gauge in my wife's SC was like that when we bought the car. The problem was the gauge, not the sender.

I suggest removing the sender, and measuring the resistance across the gauge output. (From "G" to the three-line ground symbol.) Check it with the sender right-side up, and again with it upside down. Someone here will remember the correct range; I think it's on the order of 90 ohms - 0 ohms? Verify that first. If that measures OK, then I would suspect the gauge. See if you can swap with someone else, or pick up a spare. You might be able to borrow one for testing.

--DD
HalfMoon
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 20 2014, 12:11 PM) *

That may not fix the problem. The gauge in my wife's SC was like that when we bought the car. The problem was the gauge, not the sender.

I suggest removing the sender, and measuring the resistance across the gauge output. (From "G" to the three-line ground symbol.) Check it with the sender right-side up, and again with it upside down. Someone here will remember the correct range; I think it's on the order of 90 ohms - 0 ohms? Verify that first. If that measures OK, then I would suspect the gauge. See if you can swap with someone else, or pick up a spare. You might be able to borrow one for testing.

--DD

Another good suggestion!
My tank is soon to come out (for a sway bar installation) so I can attack this at the same time :-)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.