Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Changing a /6 belt isn't so bad!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
patssle
After reading how terrible and hard to change a belt on a /6 engine is - I wasn't looking forward to fixing my squealing belt (ended up figuring there's a good reason flat-sixes have 6 washer-rings for the fan pulley - my pulley was loose and rattling).

Getting the washers/pulley on by feel takes a few tries but is easy along with the belt and tightening it. I am no longer afraid of changing my /6 belt and definitely won't be cutting any holes into my firewall!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
GeorgeRud
Though I didn't put quite as many bends in mine ( I cut the wrench shorter), I found this to be valuable. Being able to see what you're doing is so over-rated!
mepstein
Nice! I had thought about having scotty make a hatch but seeing your cool tool, I think I will leave the firewall alone.
patssle
It did take a few bends to get it right because it's a fairly thick wrench - it kept hitting the pulley. It still may not go all the way on the nut but it's good enough. Whereas my dad's decades old Craftsman easily cleared the pulley when the engine was out of the car. He didn't want me bending his original. wink.gif
Mark Henry
One thing I always wondered is how you set the timing on a stock /6?

I have the extra pulley on my fan pulley (smog?) I'd have to cut that part off.

I'm thinking I'll still do the hatch, but this would be nice to make for the event of just a belt replacement.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.