Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How long do FI Trigger Points last??
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChrisReale
Mine just took a shit on me after about 7 months. Should i expect a bit more life out of them, or do they just crap out whenever they feel like it?
Bleyseng
I wish I could have seen that!! wow, how did they do that!

Usually, they last quite awhile so maybe they were old to begin with.
Geoff
ChrisReale
They were new, as of Nov. of last year. Maybe I need to clean them off better?
Qarl
Here' an auction for 50 of them. Currently closed, but they are on E-bay all the time...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2415654727
ChrisReale
Karl, Im talking about the FI trigger points that fire the injectors. They are inside the dizzy. I got rid of the points and replaced it with a Pertronix a while ago.
Qarl
Oops... sorry!

Doh! It's 1:00 am here! wacko.gif
Bleyseng
You can clean them off carefully and sand the points to true them up. Lube the cam blocks and re-install. What makes you think they are toast?
Geoff
ChrisReale
I developed a misfire at all RPM's. Sometimes it would plague me, sometimes it wouldnt. When it was missing, I would stop, and pull injector connectors, and on 1 and 4 it would do nothing to the running, but 2 and 3 would bog down. I wa not getting any continuity between ground (12) and (22) on the Trigger Points themselves. I just cleaned then up a bit, and got continuity on both sides, so we will see how it goes tommorow or Tuesday. I cant think of anything else that would cause a misfire. I have spark on all cylinders, and when I pulled the plugs on 1 and 4, the plugs were dry, like no fuel was getting squirted in....
Bleyseng
Grounds!! check the ground block at the back of the engine with all the white wires going to it. I use a little dielectric grease on them to keep water out and current flowing.
Geoff
ChrisReale
I checked the grounds, and everything was plugged in. Plus, I thought that the grounds paired 1 & 2 together and 3 & 4 together. So, if there is a ground problem, I would be seeing 1 and 2 screwing up, not 1 and 4 like the points control. That said, I did notice they were a bit dirty, not filthy, but kinda cruddy. What should I use to clean them up? Not to mention they are a PITA to get at.
Bleyseng
Hell, I can't remember this late but I think the pairing is 1&4 -2&3 so this is probably your problem. It does rain around here so grounds getting funky are a good bet.
Geoff
McMark
I took my ground prong off last Friday. It was a pain, but it only took about and hour and some cursing. I should have put some dielectric grease in there like Bleyseng said. But I cleaned all the connecting parts with some sandpaper. After doing that and replacing my plug wires (got some Belden wires at work for $15) things seem to be running better for me.
ChrisReale
Are there any ground inside the dizzy that I need to look over? pain30.gif
Jeff Krieger
Ben Watson's F/I book says to test the d-jet trigger points this way:

"With the engine shut off and the ECU harness disconnected from the ECU, check the resistance between ECU harness terminal numbers 12 and 21, then from numbers 12 to 22. One measurement should show very low resistance while the other should show an open circuit. Now rotate the crankshaft 360 deg. The pair of terminals that showed continuity should now show an open, and the pair that showed the open should now show continuity. If these conditions are not met, repeat the test at the trigger points to determine if the problem is in the component or the wiring harness."

You can also use the method in http://persweb.direct.ca/aschwenk/djettest.pdf to test the trigger points.
ChrisFoley
I replaced an original set of trigger points for a customer last year. No good reason why they shouldn't last 100,000 miles. They don't pit the way ignition points do, but the rubbing blocks will eventually wear down. Chris, did you use any lube on the lobe?
djm914-6
Racer Chris,
We have gotta talk. Give me a shout sometime via email or phone (evenings).

David McLaughlin
Burlington MA
djm914-6@attbi.com
781/273-4841
ChrisReale
I did more testing late last night. My trigger points seem to be ok. Looks like this is ground related. I am going to spend some time tuesday cleaning up the grounds for the FI. Thanks for the idea's.

Jeff, Thanks for the info on testing
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.