Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Old Relays anybody?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
I am looking for some old relays I could use to look at /fix /tinker with? Anybody got a few they could send me?
Joe Ricard
Pm me your address.
bd1308
Joe you got mail! I cant wait to get some of these old buggers to play with IPB Image
bd1308
IPB Image
Mueller
what the heck are you doing with them to need more than 1 or 2 to "play" with?? IPB Image not much inside of them, when they do go bad it's normally due to rust, or pitted contact points
bd1308
i was thinking about them. I think I could fix them.....or at least I will have a project while my 914 is in louisville getting fixed or something IPB Image IPB Image
Dave_Darling
Here's a link to an expanded version of my "914 electrical 101" presentation from some of the Rambles in years past: http://members.rennlist.com/damp_dave/electric.html

Pics of the outside of and inside of a relay:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Hopefully this helps you understand what's going on in there before you start tearing the relays apart.

--DD
bd1308
Dave, thanks for the pictures. Yeah folks, I'm gonna try to see if some of these guys can work again....so we could have a few cheap relays for extras. I am also building a relay tester too! So if you have any lying around, I sure could use them. I may not be able to get them to work....i'm mainly doing this out of boredom....this is what i do when i'm bored instead of getting into trouble like most college kids do IPB Image
Dave_Darling
I have some, but don't have access to them right now... The move (and related stuff) has really gotten things pretty messed up...

--DD
scruz914
A question I have been thinking about is: Could the function of the 914 relay be reproduced as a solid state unit? I am not an engineer but I am pretty sure it can be done. Not sure how practical or cost effective it would be. One of the reasons I layed out the relay board that I just posted in another thread is to figure out how it could be reconstructed with soft shell connectors and solid state relays.

-Jeff
914GT
QUOTE (scruz914 @ Jan 28 2005, 06:24 PM)
A question I have been thinking about is: Could the function of the 914 relay be reproduced as a solid state unit?  

Yes, it could be done. Power MOSFETs would work. Since it's DC switching it's not too difficult. But mechanical relays are pretty rugged. A solid-state design needs overvoltage and short-circuit protection.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.