Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: urgent question backdating bumpers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dax1969
Hi,

Just saw a chrome bumper locally advertised here. Before I buy, do they just bolt on my 1973 or is some modification required ? Does the below panel and bumpertop of my car fit the early bumpers ?

Thks in advance
Rgds
Dax
Cap'n Krusty
Your 1973 IS an early car. US models went to the large rubber bumpers in 1975. I don't know about the models sold in the European market.

The Cap'n
dax1969
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 22 2014, 06:37 PM) *

Your 1973 IS an early car. US models went to the large rubber bumpers in 1975. I don't know about the models sold in the European market.

The Cap'n

Ok thanks.

Rgds
Danny
JoeSharp
In Belgium you saw bumpers, how cool is that.
malcolm2
QUOTE(dax1969 @ Sep 22 2014, 11:29 AM) *

Hi,

Just saw a chrome bumper locally advertised here. Before I buy, do they just bolt on my 1973 or is some modification required ? Does the below panel and bumpertop of my car fit the early bumpers ?

Thks in advance
Rgds
Dax

Bumpers are inter-changeable for years less than 75. You probably won't see a difference.
dax1969
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Sep 22 2014, 08:42 PM) *

In Belgium you saw bumpers, how cool is that.

Fyi, chrome bumpers are very hard to find just like many other parts sad.gif
dax1969
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Sep 22 2014, 08:49 PM) *

QUOTE(dax1969 @ Sep 22 2014, 11:29 AM) *

Hi,

Thks in advance
Rgds
Dax

Bumpers are inter-changeable for years less than 75. You probably won't see a difference.

thks malcolm. That's the info I need
Johny Blackstain
It should be a straight forward swap however I recommend cleaning everything before installing. Good to clean up anything while you have it apart. Should make parts fit in better, as they should.
Dave_Darling
An early rear bumper (1970, possibly part of 71) has angles on the ends of the recess for the license plate. The late-71 through 74 rear bumpers have a curve on the end of that recess.

The 1973 and 1974 front bumper would have holes for the "bumper tits".

The 1974 rear bumper would have holes for the rear "bumper tits".

The 1975-76 bumpers were large rubber things. The US models had crash beams inside the bumper, with shock absorbers mounting those to the car's body. I believe the RoW cars had simpler and lighter beams without the bumper shocks.

All of the bumpers from 70-74 were interchangeable just by bolting on the new parts. The early bumpers can be put on a 75+ car by drilling out the mounting holes, cutting off the lips that the rubber covers hooked to, and covering up the holes for the bumper shocks. I don't know of anyone who put the late bumpers onto an earlier car, so I'm not sure how easy that is.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.