Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ? Long or short intakes for dual carbs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ETMracing
I am currently running a 2.0/4 with a cam and dual 44idf webers on Tangerine cable linkage and short intake manifolds. My question is what are the benefits/downsides on the taller intake manifolds? I have the option to run both
Bruce Hinds
I was really hoping someone would chime in on this, I've wondered the same thing myself.

I know some of the high performance SBC heads have longer intake runners. I have noticed that some of the intakes used for higher RPM will be taller and some designed for torque will be shorter.

SirAndy
QUOTE(Bruce Hinds @ Sep 23 2014, 01:28 PM) *
I have noticed that some of the intakes used for higher RPM will be taller and some designed for torque will be shorter.

You got that backwards!

Taller intakes give you a bit more low end torque, shorter intakes will give you a bit more high rpm power.
smile.gif
Triaddave
I installed the tallest manifolds that would fit (with the carbe and filter) under the deck lid
Bruce Hinds

You got that backwards!

What else is new! dry.gif
URY914
Depends on your cam and the entire combo.
stugray
I know that on my other NA boxer engine there is an aftermarket part (crawford billet power blocks) that extends the intake manifold runner length over stock.

This results in an almost perfect shift of the torque curve downwards in the RPM range.
So if even remotely apples to apples:
longer runners = higher torque at lower RPM
shorter runners = higher torque at higher RPM
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.