Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Horn
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
drbill
I seem to be having some trouble getting my horn to work after removing the steering wheel to do some dash work. It is the original with original horn pad. I made sure the wire has a good connection on the plate which is on the backside of the pad. It will work if I press really hard in the center part of the horn pad, but not when I push the sides.
Also, when pushing the horn pad in the center, occasionally the wipers will do one swipe. Weird.
Ideas? confused24.gif
partwerks
Something must be touching in order for the wipers to come out of hibernation?
EdwardBlume
Is the horn pad center on correctly? Is the wire in good shape? Is the boot trashed?
drbill
QUOTE(RobW @ Sep 23 2014, 09:53 PM) *

Is the horn pad center on correctly? Is the wire in good shape? Is the boot trashed?

Good wire. New boot. Pad on center.
I hate electrical problems!
mrholland2
Just stick your head out the window and yell "MERRRRP"
drbill
QUOTE(mrholland2 @ Sep 24 2014, 03:15 PM) *

Just stick your head out the window and yell "MERRRRP"

Just reporting in that I fixed the horn issue. I got tired of yelling out the window!
Seems that, like most electrical problems, this was a matter of cleaning and grounding. I cleaned the copper ring on the back of the steering wheel and the fingers which make contact with it. I then had to make my own tab on the grounding ring (thanks to the member here who blazed that path for me) to attach the spade connector securely. Finally, the intermittent wiper swipe was solved by tightening the ground screws on the column switch. pray.gif

I then took the car on a nice run of about 30 miles. First real drive since I got the car and tuned it up, fixed the body work, paint and sorting out. Man, are these cars fun!! Stopped for gas and had a nice convo with a guy in a monster truck about my 914. Seems like he had a six back in the day and was lamenting the fact that he didn't still have it. He's a big dude now; don't know how he'd fit. Good times. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.