Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Intermittant Starting Problem After Visiting Fellow 914 Owners
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
relentless
This past Sunday I got together with ShogunEagle and Hndyhrr, two regular members of this board. My wife and I drove our stock '76 2.0L first to visit with Steve and his wife in Grants Pass, about a 30 mile drive. The car ran great even though the temperature was about 90 degrees. Steve showed me his six conversion and we had a good time discussing his progress. Actually I kidded him a bit about a lack of recent progress, but he mentioned the theft he went through and I am totally sympathetic to what that does to motivation, having suffered through a similar situation.

We left Steve's place and drove to Central Point using the I-5 freeway to reach Renee's place. We got to see her 'Pumpkin' 1970 914 that she maintains herself! She had just gotten around to rebuilding her rear brake calipers and was fighting a stripped fitting causing some binding that she was going to have to replace. We had a good time talking 914's and then it was time to go home.

Steve left first and I went out and got into the 914 and... it refused to start! First time this has happened, and I have put about a thousand miles on the car this summer. Turning the key I could hear the fuel pump pressurize the lines, then turning the key to engage the starter and nothing, I mean nothing happened!

Of course I had to try a few more times before I came out of denial. And while I am well aware of the old saying that doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is a sign of senility, I was hoping there was some crud on the switch contacts or such that would let me hear the engine fire off. Or was I just in denial? lol

We ended up push starting the car and I drove straight home, about 60 miles. I pulled the car into the shop and shut it down. I turned the key and ... wait for it... the car started right up. And two or three more times. Same hot temperature, same new Odssey battery that tests just fine, same clean contacts on the batt posts.

Yesterday I pulled the car out of the shop. It started right up. Did the same when I started it and parked it back inside. So now I get to troubleshoot an intermittant starting problem.

Is there a troubleshooting sticky that shows how to best track this problem down? Any insight would be appreciated!
era vulgaris
Do you still have points?
This happened to me when I first got my car. After filing the points my car finally started.
...And then I converted to electronic ignition.
PanelBilly
Your car just wants to spend some time off on jack stands

Or the starter is going out
Phoenix914
It might be worth checking your ignition switch (electrical part). Won't start by turning the key, but will push start. huh.gif

I just pulled mine out and it had a small crack in it, which I am hoping has been the cause of my similar problem.
Bob L.
Could be in the electrical(cracked) or mechanical portion (bent cam/tang) of the ignition switch.

Probably not points. That wouldn't prevent the starter from cranking.
pilothyer
I had the same problem some time back and after quite a lot of chasing potential problem areas (key switch electrical portion, starter solenoid, etc.) it turned out to be a loose and dirty connection where the - battery terminal connects to the body, I cleaned up and tightened the cable and never had that dreaded intermittent cranking problem again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.