Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hoosier Canti slicks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Woody
I have had mixed feelings with my American Racer tires and was thinking about trying the Hoosiers in the 23x9.5x15 in the R35a compound. Is anyone else still running these? They would probably fit great on my Fuchs 7&8s. If not I have a set of 7" cookie cutters collecting dust. Ultimatly I would love to run Avons, but they are just so darn expensive. Thoughts?
Randal
QUOTE(Woody @ Sep 25 2014, 08:26 AM) *

I have had mixed feelings with my American Racer tires and was thinking about trying the Hoosiers in the 23x9.5x15 in the R35a compound. Is anyone else still running these? They would probably fit great on my Fuchs 7&8s. If not I have a set of 7" cookie cutters collecting dust. Ultimatly I would love to run Avons, but they are just so darn expensive. Thoughts?

Did you see pictures of the fronts that I posted on Pickering's post? They are the absolute answer.
Woody
No I didn't bud. Do you have a link?
Randal
QUOTE(Woody @ Sep 25 2014, 03:44 PM) *

No I didn't bud. Do you have a link?

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=240554
Woody
If I can spring for a set of Avons I will. What sizes are you running? They are just so darn expensive.
Randal
QUOTE(Woody @ Sep 25 2014, 04:34 PM) *

If I can spring for a set of Avons I will. What sizes are you running? They are just so darn expensive.

http://www.avonmotorsport.com/motorsport/c...crossply-slicks

8.7 / 10.5's

Actually 11's in the back would have been a better decision.

jjackson
QUOTE(Woody @ Sep 25 2014, 10:26 AM) *

Woody,
We could only get 35 to 40 competitive runs out of the 15s or the 16s , then they dropped off .Terrible tire and compound.Ran multiple seasons on these tires.
If not Avons- Hoosier new radial or the A6s
J Jackson
Woody
QUOTE(jjackson @ Sep 26 2014, 10:57 AM) *

QUOTE(Woody @ Sep 25 2014, 10:26 AM) *

Woody,
We could only get 35 to 40 competitive runs out of the 15s or the 16s , then they dropped off .Terrible tire and compound.Ran multiple seasons on these tires.
If not Avons- Hoosier new radial or the A6s
J Jackson

35-40 runs out of the cantis? That's not going to work. Thanks. I have to start saving my pennies for some Avons. I don't think Hoosier makes the radial slicks in my size.
J P Stein
Sure, 50 or so passes and R35s were done. 2 sets per season.
I'm sure we coulda found someone to beat us.....but in several years, never found any 914 that could....just think how bad their tires musta been. confused24.gif

I understand that the new Hoosier radials are the cat's ass....*bring money*.
Joe Ricard
So glad I got out of the cone dodging with the 914. Once I discovered karts and the cost of the stickiest tire on the planet is only 240 bucks a set. again 40 runs and then are also worthless. heat cycled out with lots of rubber left.

Be cautious about buying used tires there is a reason they are selling them.
bam914
Joe, Every time you post about what it cost to run a kart it makes me want to get one. Now if my back could only take it.
Randal
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Oct 9 2014, 08:28 PM) *

Sure, 50 or so passes and R35s were done. 2 sets per season.
I'm sure we coulda found someone to beat us.....but in several years, never found any 914 that could....just think how bad their tires musta been. confused24.gif

I understand that the new Hoosier radials are the cat's ass....*bring money*.

"..never found any 914 that could" Guess you forgot about Medford, but hey, I can't remember what I had for dinner last night. chowtime.gif .
J P Stein
QUOTE(Randal @ Oct 10 2014, 06:48 PM) *

"..never found any 914 that could" Guess you forgot about Medford, but hey, I can't remember what I had for dinner last night. chowtime.gif .

Yeah, after I sold it. Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while. biggrin.gif
Wasn't that the time that Brit spun the car on the first lap of the enduro?

I shouldn't bring up the fact that he now owns the 5 lap enduro record running Goodyear radials....NLA.
Randal
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Oct 11 2014, 07:50 PM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ Oct 10 2014, 06:48 PM) *

Yeah, after I sold it. Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while. biggrin.gif
Wasn't that the time that Brit spun the car on the first lap of the enduro?

I shouldn't bring up the fact that he now owns the 5 lap enduro record running Goodyear radials....NLA.

Right, he spun and I won. And by the way he only got me by .100 in the Autox and I broke a motor mount and couldn't shift to third.

Also you guys got lucky at the big event in California. Sure wish I hadn't had a certain mechanic at that point which cost me both days. No handling on Day One (Saturday) due to a huge oversight and I wasn't handling on Sunday for other reasons.

I love that Britain has the record for the Fall Enduro in his Lotus/Turbo Subi 914, but it'll be interesting to see what happens when some new competition shows up, which will hopefully will be soon.

Still waiting for Britain to show up and compete at Cascade Lakes or maybe you want to show up there and compete. I offered you the chance to drive 222 there, remember? grouphug.gif
J P Stein
I do remember.......my mind is slipping but I remember a few things. biggrin.gif 222 is a good runner and was a hoot to drive....I remember the broken stuff too.

As to the shoot out.
Even back then we had figured out that if you don't show up ready, you're better off staying home. Drive 700 miles to an event and let your ass hang out? Not likely. The best excuse is no excuse required. biggrin.gif
We went with our normal set-up and fresh tires. Probably could have done better on
our first trip to concrete.....but ya dance with the girl what brung ya. Dickin' around with the car set up at a big event is a sure fire way to screw yourself into a hole, IMO.
Just show up, and make sure the tire pressures stay right in the optimum range.....KISS.

I was always a lousy driver.....good enuff to heat the tires but slow. I don't figure that has gotten any better with age & the lack of butt time. Now days I drive a keyboard best.....and that is kinda shaky. confused24.gif

It's good to be in the front row.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Joe Ricard
QUOTE(bam914 @ Oct 10 2014, 07:42 PM) *

Joe, Every time you post about what it cost to run a kart it makes me want to get one. Now if my back could only take it.

Well went through 1/2 the rubber on a new set of MG greens (245.00 a set). but worse is I broke all kinds of stuff dodging cones this past weekend. Screwed up a clutch, broke the exhaust power valve, starter quit on me. 3 weeks ago I toasted a motor. so I am bleeding money around 1800 bucks.

Yea the price of a new set of slicks. icon_bump.gif
yeahmag
This past time at Willow Springs Kart Track just doing fun runs my shifters clutch went and we lost a rod bearing on the TAG. Expensive weekend...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.