Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1991 Audi Spider concept
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mike Bellis
The concept was conceived by Ferdinand Piech while at Audi. Several rumors state that Porsche had investigated using this platform with a flat 6 since the 928 V8 was too big. Ultimately Porsche asked him (Audi) not to produce the car due to fears it would put Porsche out of business. Porsche was not doing very well in the early 1990's.

The really cool part? It uses Porsche 914 door handles! piratenanner.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
FourBlades

That is a nice looking car!

John
Dave_Darling
I see echoes of the R8 in there...

--DD
ThePaintedMan
Yup, basically an early R8. Truly beautiful car!

I see 993 side marker lights too I think, or at least a derivation.
db9146
Looks a lot better than the TT to me. They should have built this.
DBCooper
In style I see R8 too, but proportions? It's not un-914 like. And you say Porsche couldn't get a 928 V8 into it? So even more kudos to Rick, who's shown he can.

Mike Bellis
If you read up on the car, it was determined the chassis would need to be lengthened for the production model. The base car was set to have the 2.6L V6, transverse mounted AWD system. 5 speed was standard.

Porsche looked at it, could not fit the 928 motor and was looking at making it a rear engine flat 6. IMHO, they would have ruined it.

The Audi version would be at least 10% cheaper than the 911. Porsche sales in the early 90's were sinking. In fact, Mercedes commissioned Porsche to design one of their models in an attempt to help the struggling company.

Louise Piech (Porsche) was the person that convinced Ferdinand Piech not to produce the concept car in order to save the family business. Or so the story is told...
boxsterfan
Definitely some early R8 in that design. But somehow, it almost looks like what a modern evolution of the 914 could look like....

Any shots of the rear of this car?
OmaPossu
My favourite Audi smile.gif. Have not noticed 914 door handles before..
Rleog
Much better proportioned than the current R8.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.