Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: L97H
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bradtho
This one's for you Ferg!!

Apparently I'm in the minority, but I love the pure 70's look of our gold metallic color. Unfortunately my car had a Maaco respray that wasn't very gold and wasn't very metallic. I took care of that this year by getting my car repainted by Mark Israel at Eurotech Bodywerkes.

Today was the first time I washed it since getting the car back and got lucky with a sunny day, so I finally got around to taking some good pics of the car. I thought I might get a better reception from this crowd than I get from my wife.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
Looks awesome! beerchug.gif
bradtho
part of this project was the 5 lug conversion. I'd been collecting the parts, but couldn't use them because I wanted to use the 15x7 wheels and they don't fit without a bit of persuasion. So we got the fenders massaged a bit before putting the new paint on. Weidmann did the wheels in the RS finish.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Sleepin
Looks great! I love the color!
bradtho
Of course everyone thinks you're crazy when you tell them you're painting the car gold, but when you see it in the sunlight it's really amazing. It's almost like one of those color shifting paint jobs. Sometimes more yellow and sometimes more mustard. Occasionally it takes on a weird green'ish tint.

When I was taking deliver the painter came over to me and said "dude, when I heard you wanted to paint this gold, I thought Why?, but now that I see it I totally love it".

It's definitely a love or hate color, not much middle ground.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
StratPlayer
Beautiful first.gif
messix
you have to see it in person to really get how nice that color suits the 914!
JRust
Looks kick ass bud! Congrats
Mr.242
AMAZING! Bet the in person view is to DIE for... I've got a silver car and it just doesn't photograph like what you see.

beerchug.gif
altitude411
I [i]think this is the color that Michael (Cario95407) is going to paint his new six? shades.gif

Seriously, looks fantastic. Really nice car! thumb3d.gif

Where did you get the sixer rear valance? I'm looking for one.
orthobiz
I'm a fan of all of the colors (really) and this gold is just FANTASTIC! The digital images really pop, too.

Paul
Chris H.
Wow, that's the unenhanced color? Stunning. Looks like candy. Another color that faded quickly on cars like many of the metallics so we had no idea how SWEET it was.
porbmw
Sorry to hear you are getting such a poor reception from your wife. sad.gif

Don't know if we will give you a better reception here dry.gif .....but your car...that's a different story biggrin.gif

Your car is beautiful! I've never seen one with decent paint....the few I've seen have had really crappy repaints, which would not have persuaded me to keep the color.
Props for the courage to give it a go....and well done. It looks cool, very 70s, and unusual. Any idea of how many received that color.

Hope to see it in person some day....

And may ask a question or two, later on, re your restoration....I am just NOT getting things finished off in my neck of the woods.

Paul
rhodyguy
REAL nice. The swell wheels finish the package.
bigkensteele
Stunning! I am adding your car to my desktop rotation. Beautifully done.

Love the wheels too and the shaved side signals.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(altitude411 @ Sep 27 2014, 02:28 PM) *

I [i]think this is the color that Michael (Cario95407) is going to paint his new six? shades.gif

Seriously, looks fantastic. Really nice car! thumb3d.gif

No, that is the original color of Cairo's car, but he absolutely refuses to consider it. I think he is going with Light Ivory.
balljoint
thumb3d.gif

Cairo will come around. biggrin.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(balljoint @ Sep 27 2014, 04:40 PM) *

thumb3d.gif

Cairo will come around. biggrin.gif

I'm pretty sure these pics are going to be his new background. mellow.gif
turk22
QUOTE(bradtho @ Sep 27 2014, 05:54 PM) *

When I was taking deliver the painter came over to me and said "dude, when I heard you wanted to paint this gold, I thought Why?, but now that I see it I totally love it".

It's definitely a love or hate color, not much middle ground.

no middle ground for me, I love it...and yours looks great. aktion035.gif
db9146
I've never seen one that color BUT I LOVE IT!!!!!

Wow, that looks so cool with the RSR finish on the wheels.

Fantastic!!!
db9146
The stance is really nice as well.
Tbrown4x4
A lot of Metallic Gold posted around here lately! I can't get enough. I see little patches under the peeling white on my car, and fell in love with it. Just gotta make it happen. Your car is stunning!
rangrbob
You beat me to it. Mine should be done next week! It's been a two year ordeal.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
rangrbob
smile.gif BTW you car looks fantastic! We should try to get all the Gold cars together for a photo some day.
Cairo94507
Your car looks terrific. Both of these gold 914s look terrific. I also like the RSR finished wheels. I was just talking about taking my wheels to Harvey in the next few weeks. I know he has a serious lead time to get them finished.
rick 918-S
Wow! I'm in the the like column! drooley.gif wub.gif
bradtho
QUOTE(altitude411 @ Sep 27 2014, 03:28 PM) *

It's the stock rear valance from a 72. Be careful the 4's and the 6's had different placement for the exhaust.
bradtho
QUOTE(porbmw @ Sep 27 2014, 04:32 PM) *

Hope to see it in person some day....

And may ask a question or two, later on, re your restoration....I am just NOT getting things finished off in my neck of the woods.

Paul

You're welcome to see it any time you're down, just let me know. Always happy to meet other teeners.
bradtho
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 27 2014, 04:42 PM) *

REAL nice. The swell wheels finish the package.

Thanks Kevin, couldn't have done it without you! Literally, that's your 911 front end holding those wheels on!

Plus that nice fresh air box you sold me, much better than my old one w/ bad gold overspray all over it!
bradtho
QUOTE(db9146 @ Sep 27 2014, 06:39 PM) *

The stance is really nice as well.

Thanks, the stance has been a lot of work. I couldn't do it with my old 4 lug struts. Of course it's easy to get the rear down low!! But getting the front to match is a whole other story.

So when I got the 911 struts I sent them to Elephant and had the spindles raised. When I picked it up at the body shop Mark had it sitting just right, then I went to get the alignment done and they raised the front back up!! Complained and took it back in to get it set the way I wanted it. I guess the camber is off a bit, but that's the price of riding low I guess.
bradtho
QUOTE(rangrbob @ Sep 27 2014, 07:15 PM) *

You beat me to it. Mine should be done next week! It's been a two year ordeal.

Wow Bob, looks great. I did the front and rear trunks but looks like you one-up'd me by doing the interior too. I'm sure it'll be awesome when you get it, but if you're final 2 weeks go like my final 2 weeks, don't count on having it back until Christmas!!

If you don't mind, I'd love you to PM me when you post some picks. I'm kinda sporadic with my visits to the forum and I'd hate to miss it!
bradtho
Wow, thanks everyone for the kind words. I'm a bit surprised actually. I've read all the gold metallic threads on the board and there are a lot of "yuck" comments in there. Honestly it really made me second guess my decision on a number of occasions. I'm really glad I stuck with my original plans though, because I love it

A small clarification on the wheel finish, they are RS finish, not RSR. The RSR finish has satin painted paddles, the RS finish leaves the paddles the standard anodized finish. This set was the more common later finish where the entire center is black. Weidman knows what he's doing. And I didn't think the price was bad at all. $300 per corner for full reanodization. They probably didn't look this good back in the 70's when they were leaving the factory.

If you're thinking of having Harvey do your wheels call him now and get in line. He allowed me to get in line w/o actually sending the wheels to him. I delivered the car to the body shop before finishing the wheels, they did the fender clearance work and then I sent the wheels off. Given all I'd read online I was afraid that the wheels might take MUCH longer than the paint, but that wasn't the case at all. Harvey answered the phone maybe 2/3rds of the time when I called but it was enough. Had them back with plenty of time to spare.
bradtho
Here's a pic from 4.5 years ago when I first got the car that shows just how flat and mustard-y the bad respray was. One advantage of the old paint was that I never really worried about where I parked it!

Click to view attachment
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Sep 27 2014, 07:32 PM) *

Your car looks terrific. Both of these gold 914s look terrific. I also like the RSR finished wheels. I was just talking about taking my wheels to Harvey in the next few weeks. I know he has a serious lead time to get them finished.

I'm on the list too. mad.gif
EdwardBlume
agree.gif

Congratulations on the paint and color! Porsche knew what they were doing and now you have one of the most unique stock colors for a 914 on the planet. I love it!

As a bonus, gold hides dirt, doesn't show dirt rather, and is visible at night.
etcmss
so who did the re-assembly? and how long was this process from give it up to get it back?
not knowing your car--what engine?
Gary
Ferg
smilie_pokal.gif Congrats, it came out excellent!!!
Dave_Darling
Infinitely better than the old respray!

--DD
bradtho
QUOTE(etcmss @ Sep 28 2014, 06:12 AM) *

so who did the re-assembly? and how long was this process from give it up to get it back?
not knowing your car--what engine?
Gary

Eurotech Bodywerkrs did all the work, soup to nuts. They came well recommended, they're close to my house and the owner has a 914 and lurks here from time to time. He's been doing various rust repair for me since I got the car. It was probably 5 months total.

I currently have a 1.7, but one of the nice features of this round of work was the installation of a Patrick motorsports mount for a 6 someday. Gotta let the wallet recover from this first though!!
mepstein
looks great!
And the chances of another 914 in the same color pulling up next to you at a light is pretty slim.
KELTY360
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 28 2014, 12:49 PM) *

looks great!
And the chances of another 914 in the same color pulling up next to you at a light is pretty slim.

.....as opposed to the chances of any 914 pulling up next to you at a light. poke.gif

Great looking color. I look forward to seeing it in person one of these days.
TravisNeff
That turned out fantastic!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.