Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transaxle help - I need a Doctor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
michael7810
I don't know much about the history of my transaxle. About 10K miles ago (and 3 years) I had the shift input seal and bushing replaced and they changed the fluid at that time. He told me he used regular dino gear oil but I could not find the receipt. The work was performed by Stuttgart Southwest and they are a reputable 914 shop in the Phoenix area so I'm confident they did it properly and didn't see any anomalies. Other than I have to shift into 2nd carefully to avoid grinding (does not grind if I shift slowly into 2nd). Other gears shift OK and it is not noisy going down the road. So today I decided to change the fluid and what came out looked like someone mixed gold metal flake paint with gear oil. No chunks came that I could see. The drain plug magnet was pretty much covered with 1/8 to 1/4" slivers as well. I refilled it and took it for a test drive and it acted the same as always.

Not sure what to do next. It's just beginning to be driving season in Phoenix, this will be the first week with highs under 100F, so I would like to hold off an overhaul until next spring so I can enjoy driving it during the winter. Plus my daughter has twins on the way and most of my car fixin' time (and money) is spent helping them fix up the house before the babies arrive.

Of course if I need a trans now and anyone has a good side shift to sell I'm interested.

Thanks as always for the advice and abuse.

Mike
Mike Bellis
Sounds like you need a rebuild. New syncro and maybe some dog teeth Probably bearings and seals too. Call your previous mechanic or Patrick Motorsports if you need it done soon. Dr Evil would do it on the cheap but he's in the middle of moving.
michael7810
I'll check with my local guy. Any idea when Dr Evil will have his shop up and running? Thanks
Chris H.
PM the Doc...maybe he has one done up already and could swap you.
mapguy
Boy, does that sound familiar.

I had Dr Evil do mine a couple months ago. Would absolutely do it again. Be careful with shipping though, if you decide to send to him once he gets settled. FedEx was rough on my trans and broke off a couple fins. It still shifts fine and holds oil.

Car is not running yet, so I can't comment on performance. Working on that part... smash.gif
Dr Evil
I can get one assembled for you and out the door by end of Oct, but no sooner. My shop is in boxes in another state and I wont be unpacking until Oct 19.
Dr Evil
Oh, the issue with FedEx Ground was the first I can recall in 10 yrs. Bad luck there. Nothing major, though. I still recommend them.
michael7810
Dr - I'm not in a hurry, it's not a daily driver. I sent you a PM for details. Thanks
rhodyguy
Good to know. I'll schedule delivery for the 19th.
Dr Evil
Kev, at this point you can ship whenever. Neighbors are good folks and the area is safe. It can sit out for a few weeks wink.gif Contact me before shipping stuff, though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.