Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Broken gear shift lever
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BfloRandy
Hello gang, my gear shift lever came off in my hand this afternoon... It broke off right at the base. Does anyone know if a short shift kit (late) is sufficient to replace it or do I need a new lever altogether? If anyone happens to have one that is suitable for a 75 I'd be interested! Also, is it feasible to drill into the remaining metal ball to insert a stiff rod as a temporary fix? Thank you for your help!
stugray
Side shift I assume?

Now is a good time to upgrade to a rennshifter.
I just did, and it was the best upgrade I have ever done to the 914.

So I have the stock sideshift shift-lever that I guess I could sell.
I have no idea what the going rate is for a good shifter.
Dr Evil
If you dont have the money for a Renn Shifter (a good investment), I love the Wevo Short shift. It is $78 at Pelican and cheap thrills smile.gif
914work
Did the (chromed) shaft snap off or did the epoxy fail freeing it from the ball assembly?
In either case its not a hard repair. Your Choice:
1. RE-epoxy the two pieces again (after thorough cleaning) Like OE
2. WELD those two pieces together so they never fail again
3. If the shaft did in fact snap at the union, heat that ball up to burn off the remaining epoxy & free the broken end . Trim /clean the slightly shorter rod reinsert & again epoxy or weld that sucker in place

Oh & Id look for a cause of the break. Ive never see one "snap"
jfort
mine broke off a couple of inches up. i had it welded and haven't had a problem since. i have rennshift and like it.
jfort
mine broke off a couple of inches up. i had it welded and haven't had a problem since. i have rennshift and like it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.