Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Too Hot? what did i learn from my first long trip?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DRPHIL914
1. my 75 2.0 really ran awesome!! - got great gas milage! 33+ for the whole trip
2. - used a bit of oil about a quart for the 1000 miles- mostly when pushing hard on the dtragon(hey it has 139,900 miles and to my knowledge has never been rebuilt
3. Runs hot when pushing hard up hill drive at 4000-5000 feet, and on the intersate at 75 mph- close to 240F temps, so the question is WHY?? - it was not that hot outside 75 degree temps- otherwise it runs between 190-220 most of the time.
details- its a 75 2.0 with 74 HE's and an triad muffler, D- jet , running 13.4 most of the time A/F , is set a bit on the rich side on idle and average running conditions

- timing and advance are working and set right on the money.
- fuel pressure right on-
-
- i do not have the tins that go under the enging around the exhaust manafold pipes-
- i do have the flaps that stick out below the car.

Suggestions that have been made--
- get a deep sump, which adds some cooling, extra oil etc.
- external oil cooler- clay P.. suggested this, some have said that many 2.0's tend to run a bit hot.

so for about 2 -3 hours i ran between 230 - 240 running down the interstate -
but is this safe? -
- i don not have a pressure guage -
easy addtions- new pressure relief valve from Chris at Tangerine
- deep sump

to my knowledge never been reworked.

A/f running about 13.5 most of the time, maybe a bit leaner at WOT but not much, kind of varies between 12.8- 13.8 though
-timing is set and advance is working
- i do not have bttoom 2 smaller tins that go under car around exhaust header pipes.
- no junk around the heads - oil cooler is clean-

running hot- i mean up the hill to the NC/TNN border i ran close to 250 and shut her down for 15 minutes, coold down, ran home mostly down hill some level land heavy driving but then never went over 220, averaged 190 rest of day - but on intersate above 68mph, tends to run 235-240 - outside tems were only 80 degrees.

- should i;
A. put in a deep sump
B. putin in chris-(tangerine) new oild relief valve
C. add the missing tins
D. all the above before pulling motor and tin
E. not worry about it if it does ont exceed 250 + oil temps

ps. - oil temps were verified by a oild dip stick temp
r_towle
Having all the tin is very important.
Any leaks in the tin should be fixed

And....the ugly question.
With 139k miles, have you ever removed the head tin and cleaned the fins below in both the heads and the cylinders?
Trust that is will be full of junk.

This can be done in the car...
Remove the intake, the rest is pretty straight forward.

Much simpler if you remove the engine, but it can be done without doing that.
malcolm2
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 29 2014, 08:27 AM) *

Having all the tin is very important.
Any leaks in the tin should be fixed

And....the ugly question.
With 139k miles, have you ever removed the head tin and cleaned the fins below in both the heads and the cylinders?
Trust that is will be full of junk.

This can be done in the car...
Remove the intake, the rest is pretty straight forward.

Much simpler if you remove the engine, but it can be done without doing that.

Does the cleaning above include the oil cooler? Not sure how you would attack that on the car, but I have seen some pictures with lots of stuff blocking the oil cooler.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.