Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jay Leno - on Concours restorations
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
larryM

good read

jay leno on concours restorations
SKL1
Gotta love Jay... would love to get a tour of his garage!!
struckn
Got to love how the wealthy react to these sort of things. I belong to AACA and do the East Coast Nationals at Hershey each year with a 68 AMX. What I like about not winning is you know why and you fix it and bring it the next year to try again.
It's a Hobby right?

In fact the AACA National is Saturday Oct 11th and I spent much of the summer working on the fixes....I'm ready and can't wait. I had to repaint the engine the correct color for the year, replace the Carb with the correct Carter AFB 4V, and take the
Radial tires off and replace them with Firestone Bias Ply Red Lines. I replaced the Magnum 500 Mags and BF Goodrich Radials, with steel rims to mount the Red lines on and putl 68 AMC Hup Caps on it just for this show. The Mags will go back on after the Show. The biggest fix that took the most time was restoring the original steering wheel.

Point being I think the Judging which applies to all who enteris fair and helpful
to getting things correct. Eventually, you get there.

IPB Image[/URL][/img]

IPB Image[/URL]]My Webpage[/url]

IPB Image[/URL][/img]
Pat Garvey
Mybe it's an "old school" thing, but anytime I ever lost first in a concours (and there were several) I congratulated he winner and thanked the judges. I've been one of those judges, at all levels, through the years, and it IS tough.

Important thing is to shrug, be appreciative and do better next time. Remember, there is a HUGE amount of discretion and interpretation that the judges have to face. Also remember that's a game (not a sport). 2nd or 3rd place is NOT the end of the world. Anything less means you didn't do the work.
struckn
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Oct 8 2014, 05:08 PM) *

Mybe it's an "old school" thing, but anytime I ever lost first in a concours (and there were several) I congratulated he winner and thanked the judges. I've been one of those judges, at all levels, through the years, and it IS tough.

Important thing is to shrug, be appreciative and do better next time. Remember, there is a HUGE amount of discretion and interpretation that the judges have to face. Also remember that's a game (not a sport). 2nd or 3rd place is NOT the end of the world. Anything less means you didn't do the work.

agree.gif Totally

Hey Pat, this Saturday Oct 11th is AACA East Coast Fall National at Hershey. There's 2,200 cars resistered for the Show Field and Corral, plus 3000 Vendors. I'll be at 36E with the AMX, if you're up to it and want something to do come on up and stop by. Hope you're doing well.

Doug
SKL1
Just wondered how the AMX did in this last show... looks pretty good in the pix and undoubtedly better than it ever was leaving the showroom floor...
struckn
It rained most of the day but AACA never cancels, the Show must go on.
There were six Judges and they seemed to take a lot of time looking it over. The results haven't been Posted yet so we're waiting to find out.
Judges are not allowed to tell you anything, other then to ask questions about things that might cause major deducts and to see documentation if you can provided it. They didn't have any guestions?
I driver it never trailer it. Rain Sucks.
struckn
AACA Posted the Winners List for the 2014 National Fall Meet Hershey Saturday Oct. 11th.
The AMX Won the First National Senior Award 2014 and 1st in Class 36E.
Senior Level required a point score above 375 out of 400 Points max. Everyone starts with 400 points and the six Judges have a two page check list with point deductions for items found deficent. (ex. Sealed Beam Matching Head Lights, if not the deduction is - 5 points each). They don't reveal what your total points are, but I know it was above 375.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.