Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT: source for 912 floor pan sections/patch panels?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
AE354803
I may need some patch panels to replace portions of the floor in my 912. They aren't rusted completely through, just a few pin-holes but the material is thin and somewhat flexible in a few locations.

Anyway, I don't want to purchase $440 worth of pans from restoration design just to cut them up for patch panels.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a good source for some old pan sections? These things have to be getting hard to find.

Maybe I'll end up buying restoration design pans and selling the parts I don't use?

Also, what years should be similar? My car is a 67.

Pictures coming soon

Thanks

Andy
SirAndy
Contact the usual dismantlers:

EASY, Parts Heaven, High Performance House

Who knows, you might get lucky ...
smile.gif
Cap'n Krusty
1965-1968 will be the same. Finding used panels in usable shape may be a lengthy adventure, and you may end up paying the same as or more than new bits.

The Cap'n
AE354803
Here's a photo of what I'm working with. Only pinholes/thinning, couldn't punch through with a screwdriver except at the pinholes. You can see where the PO patched and didn't paint!!!

Thanks for the help guys. I maybe just bite the bullet and buy new pans but I don't want to go through all those spot welds, I'll wait and see what it looks like after I clean it up.

Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
new panels make it a one time deal, EVERYTHING you might need is on hand, and you pay shipping once. acceptable used panels prob come out of a …rusty car?
injunmort
restoration design
AE354803
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 29 2014, 01:08 PM) *

1965-1968 will be the same. Finding used panels in usable shape may be a lengthy adventure, and you may end up paying the same as or more than new bits.

The Cap'n

Just a history lesson for myself,

When they lengthened the wheel base did they add length to the floor pans or change features? It looks like the reproduction parts are listed as 65-89 and photos of early/late floor pans look pretty identical.

Are there any differences between SWB/LWB floor pans that are slight enough that it is not worth making different parts for SWB vs LWB (especially with low demand)?

Andy
Dave_Darling
I believe the SWB/LWB differences were all aft of the rear seat area, so the pans would be identical. They made the rear suspension arms longer, moving the wheels back in relation to the body.

Other changes (that are not related to the wheel base) were made at the same time, so the SWB/LWB demarcation is a convenient one for other parts. Even if they don't have anything to do with the wheel base.

--DD
peteyd
I am a LITTLE biased, but I recommend doing the full pans. Do it right once, that way you dont have to come back in 5-10 years and do another patch panel. Plus you wont become on of those DAPO who did a sloppy job. You own a 912, you're not allowed to be cheap anymore.

Plus we have made it a little easier with this installation video. You know exactly what you're getting into watching this.

Pete

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhOy2JJs5Jk
SirAndy
QUOTE(peteyd @ Oct 1 2014, 09:26 AM) *
You know exactly what you're getting into watching this.

smilie_pokal.gif

I like them instructorial videos.
smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.