Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone use aftermarket ECUs like...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
neo914-6
Was it simple to install, easy to use, reliable?
scotty914
dude you wasted your 914 post on this ?
TimT

yes,kinda,yes

Ive installed and tuned Electromotive, Haltech, Link, and Motec ECUs

The installation and wiring of the sensors is easy. The tuning is pretty easy, depending on how user friendly the software is..

Electromotive software is not very user friendly, Haltech, Link, and Motec are easy to use..

We sell Haltechs (hint hint) IPB Image
Mark Henry
I have a SDS system

If you're new to PEFI their site is a must read...even if you go with a different system.
Mueller
QUOTE (TimT @ Jan 28 2005, 02:44 AM)

yes,kinda,yes

Ive installed and tuned Electromotive, Haltech, Link, and Motec ECUs

The installation and wiring of the sensors is easy. The tuning is pretty easy, depending on how user friendly the software is..

Electromotive software is not very user friendly, Haltech, Link, and Motec are easy to use..

We sell Haltechs (hint hint) IPB Image

I've read a few times that the Electromotives are not very reliable.....
neo914-6
Anyone use Autronic SAEM? They're supposed to be a cheaper Motec. I found a previous post that Brad likes Motec and their support...
TimT
Motec has amazing support, and arguably some of the best ECUs, you get what you pay for.. EFI is also a high end ECU that has great support and software. For most applicatrions you dont need all the capabilities of the high end ECUs..

Ive never played with Autronic, but have heard good things about them..

This is a good source for learning abour engine management
airsix
I have a MIC3 ecu from Perfect Power (South African company). It's not as refined as a MOTEC, but for a couple hundred bucks (total project cost $500) I'm very happy. Another $175 for the turbo project and I've got quite an upgrade for $675*.

-Ben M.

*costs of temporary insanity not included.
neo914-6
Tim,
Good info, I didn't realize there were so many. I should have listed my application: my Audi 2.7 V6 twin turbo. It came without a factory ECU so a friend suggested I look into tunable stand alone systems since I would pay an additional $600 to chip it anyway. Many companies don't post prices to compare so I'll have to get on the phone.

great support and software.
I work in field support so I know it's real value. Of course if the products highly reliable and robust, you don't need much TS. IPB Image

I have a MIC3 ecu from Perfect Power (South African company). It's not as refined as a MOTEC, but for a couple hundred bucks (total project cost $500) I'm very happy. Another $175 for the turbo project and I've got quite an upgrade for $675*.

That's pretty reasonable. Seems there are several off-shore manufacturers...
lapuwali
QUOTE (Neo914 @ Jan 28 2005, 03:49 PM)

That's pretty reasonable. Seems there are several off-shore manufacturers...

Most of them are off-shore, and an amazing number in the Southern Hemisphere. Haltech, Autronic, and Wolf are Australian. Link is in New Zealand.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.