Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Register car to drive home from out of state?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scooter311
Okay mah friends I have a question for my brother, I hope y'all can help....

My brother wants a sportscar, and try as I might, I can't convince him to get a 914 - he's been a muscle car guy for a long time, and eventually got tired of it and switched to small sportscars (like me and the 914), HOWEVER, instead if taking the wonderful road to crusty - rusty - leaky - squeeky P-cars, he, uhh, I can't even say it... He wants a Nissan 300Z.....
sigh
He's a bit older than me, and has had a 280Z in the past, but now has found a 300Z in Ohio. We're in NY, so how does he buy it and drive it back home? Are there temporary plates, or temp registrations? If not, we'll have to use my Jeep to tow it back from canton to Rochester. He said he'd pay for me gas, but that could cost more than flying there and driving it back.
I've actually driven his 280, and it was a well-sorted out car, and real fast too, and the 300's that he's looking at (V6 5 speeds) look real sporty and modern (compared to a 914 IPB Image ) and the one he wants is actually a cool car.
Any opinions on the 300Z's? Is there anyone here from Canton who may be able to take a look at it for him?
He's already driven my 914, and likes it, but it's a little too 'spartan' for him. I guess he wants to have a car he can just get in and drive instead of working on all the time - what fun is that?? Sheesh..
914GT
Arizona has online DMV you can print out either a 1 day or 30 day temporary registration. Check the NY DMV for similar thing.
Bruce Allert
I would (ass-u-me) the DMV laws are similar in yer neck of the woods as they are here on the left coast... if it's already registered with up to date plates you can drive it home and get it registered. Lapsed plates there would be need to go to the DMV the car was purchased in to get a temp registration to get it home. If it is new from a lot they will have temp registration for you to get it home. Should be no big deal.

I always liked the looks of the 300. I liked most all the Z cars.

.....b
Joe Bob
Unless it is out of registration, MOST States allow a 10-30 day period before registration is REQUIRED. "I" would get an insurance binder, keep a copy of the Bill of Sale and the title and worry about registration when ya get home.....over night the originals to your house.
ws91420
Va has a three day transit tag. You need VIN number and the trip must start or end in the state of VA.
spare time toys
We got in transit tags here in Texas once when we took a car to Wis. a few years ago. I would think you can still get them. If it has good tags just drive home and register in your state.
mudfoot76
You might also be able to take an NY plate of one of yours/his cars and take it to Ohio, put it on the Z and drive it home. If he's buying it, you'll have a bill of sale and the car title signed over to him.

When I sold my SVX, it was to a guy in Ohio. He brought a plate from another of his cars and just put it on the back of mine. He had a bill of sale and the title to the car. Unless the NY DMV/state popo is a bunch of total fascists, I can't see you having any huge difficulty with this. But probably also a good idea to not break the sound barrier on the drive back to NY IPB Image
Joe Bob
Putting another plate on a car which it is NOT register for is a high grade misdemeanor in CA.....Car goes directly to jail, plates get confiscated.....so do you if you have a warrent or fail the "ATTITUDE TEST"....
VegasRacer
QUOTE (mikez @ Jan 28 2005, 07:19 AM)
Putting another plate on a car which it is NOT register for is a high grade misdemeanor in CA.....Car goes directly to jail, plates get confiscated.....so do you if you have a warrent or fail the "ATTITUDE TEST"....

IPB Image NOT a good idea. When I was 16 it seemed reasonable - both my cars, my plate . . . . trying to do the right thing, etc. The cop who ran the plate and pulled me over did not see it that way. He did a full felony stop, with back up, guns drawn, barking dogs, spread eagle on the ground, etc. Just like on TV. They thought the car was stolen. Trust me, I will never do that again.

Check with your states DMV. Get the proper permit from them and tell your insurance company also.
skline
Well, I can tell you from experience, and you might want to pass this info along to your brother. the 280 and 300 Z cars were fun and fast to drive, just dont hit the brakes over 100 MPH or you could wind up losing control of the car. I have seen several of them that got in high speed runs on the freeways and if they had to stop fast, something about the suspension and brakes caused the car to veer out of control over 100. Dont know why but have talked to many people who have them and they say the same thing. They get squirrely over 100. Good luck with it.
seanery
Mike's right, that's illegal in Indiana as well.

A lot of states will allow to drive the vehicle for 30 days if you have:
1. Bill of Sale for the Purchase
2. Proof of Insurance

Don't carry the title in the car. Check with your insurance company to see if
the new car is automatically covered, or if you need to purchase insurance first.

the Bill Of Sale is key, and it can even be a piece of paper handwritten with a
I, Bill Smith sell John Jones this bla bla bla for $bla bla bla on the 12th of Feb, 2005.
Then both sign it.
joea9146
QUOTE (mudfoot76 @ Jan 28 2005, 10:52 AM)
You might also be able to take an NY plate of one of yours/his cars and take it to Ohio, put it on the Z and drive it home. If he's buying it, you'll have a bill of sale and the car title signed over to him.

When I sold my SVX, it was to a guy in Ohio. He brought a plate from another of his cars and just put it on the back of mine. He had a bill of sale and the title to the car. Unless the NY DMV/state popo is a bunch of total fascists, I can't see you having any huge difficulty with this. But probably also a good idea to not break the sound barrier on the drive back to NY IPB Image

You are better off driving with NO Plate than doing an Illegal plate on the Car.
The penalty is much worst for having a False plate on the Car... Like Mike Said
Most Staes Impound the Car... The plate and the driver.... Also if you tow the car on a Tow Dolly
and 2 wheels touch the ground that car needs to have a Valid plate.
scooter311
Thanks for all the replies so far - I just talked to him (he's working fast on this deal!) and he's thinking it would be better to drive out and tow it back on a u-haul dolly - probably the better idea because of the weather up here - he doesn't wanna drive the car in a blizzard on the way back. But that would mean using Alfredo (my grand cherokee with a 4.0 6), and he'd pay for all the gas and snacks IPB Image too. It's about a 5 hour drive one way.
Better idea ya thinks? IPB Image

Just for kicks, it's a '94, pearl white with tan leather, spoiler, and a 5 speed. I saw some pics, and it's super-sharp, not hacked up or anything. 6 large or BO, he thinks he can get a decent deal.

Looks like I'll be road trippin' soon. Anyone In Canton with 914 stuff they wanna sell? IPB Image
scooter311
quote - .... Also if you tow the car on a Tow Dolly
and 2 wheels touch the ground that car needs to have a Valid plate.

Oh wow I'll let him know - does it need to be insured as well?
skline
If you use a full trailer, also availaable from U-haul, you wont need to worry about any of that.
VegasRacer
Z's are a fun car.
Ask me how I know IPB Image
jfort

When I sold my SVX, it was to a guy in Ohio. He brought a plate from another of his cars and just put it on the back of mine. He had a bill of sale and the title to the car. Unless the NY DMV/state popo is a bunch of total fascists, I can't see you having any huge difficulty with this. But probably also a good idea to not break the sound barrier on the drive back to NY

I agree. I am an attorney in OH. Not sure about NY, but in OH you would take a tag off a car you own, put it on the new car and drive it home. You've got 30 days to get it title and registered
r_towle
In Massachusetts, lets say you trade a car in or sell a car, the next day you buy another car...you take the fully insured plates from the old car, place them on the new car and you have two days to register the new car with those plates.

This is legal. I have taken plates from cars that I did not sell, fully insured, get the next car and register the new car with the old plates, register the old car with a new registration.

It is all very legal and it is how you can buy a used car in MA.

Not sure about NY..
Ask a Cop, they know these fine loopholes very well.

Rich
SpecialK
Well I'm dumb (resist the temptation), lucky, or just have dumb luck! When I purchased my '74 in Chicago, I drove it back to St. Louis (360 miles) with no plates at all.........right past about 50 Illinois HP's, and they didn't give it a second look IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image .

Drove my Baja all the way back from Gallop, NM (plates stolen right outside the motel room IPB Image ) to Denver, and then drove around the Denver area for a whole month without plates, cops everywhere.......no problem!

And most recently, drove my 2002 Protege 5 back and forth to work everyday (40 miles each way) for two weeks with no plates, temp tag, nothin' (Bro-in-law works at the dealership.......a little slow getting me the tags IPB Image ). No trouble whatsoever........but have the wrong colored sticker on your plates and "the man" is on you like white on rice!!
ws91420
Heres info from NYDMV on temporay transit tags
xsboost90
in ohio if you just purchased a car and you are heading home you dont need a plate or registration. You do need some sort of sale receipt and the title.
SpecialK
QUOTE (xsboost90 @ Jan 28 2005, 12:14 PM)
in ohio if you just purchased a car and you are heading home you dont need a plate or registration. You do need some sort of sale receipt and the title.

That's pretty much the "assumption" I was going on bringing the '74 down from Chi-town.......but I never got stopped. IPB Image
CptTripps
Here in Ohio you can get a 30day tag for anything. It'll cost you all of $6.

The guy I bought my 914 from messed up the title when he sent it to me, so I had to send it back to have him get a new one and try again. Before I sent it back, I had them issue me a temp tag.

Showed them the title in the previous owners name, my license, and away I drove. No bill of sale, no nothing.

Almost TOO easy...

Hope that helps. Where at in Ohio? Need a PPI? I'm in Cleveland.
xsboost90
ive always assumed this too...but the other day my bud got stopped, or rather broke down w/ his beater and no plate-stupid yes i know- but he told the officer that he just bought the car and had the title in the glove box..yes still stupid- but he let him go.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.