Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rusti's Resurection
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
riverman
Ever since I was a young boy I've had an unatural affection for Porsche 914's. I got a model of one for my 8th birthday, and ever since then I've been hooked. Now, 31 years later, I've decided to do something about it.

Following a tragic event, I decided that I needed a project to sink myself into. A symbolic rebuilding, as it were, to represent the rebuilding of my life (violins start playing in the background).

I found Rusti, a forgotten relic from a bygone era that no one wanted, waiting for me on the AutoTrader website. Uncared for, falling to pieces - it was if she cried out to me. I went to see her, and though she was in bad shape, I just knew I could fix her up. Her previous owner had every intention of restoring her, but due to events in his own life, had never gotten around to it. He had accumulated a surprising amount of spare parts for this project, but as his family grew and SUV got fed up with being parked in the driveway, his wife finally made the call that Rusti and all her baggage MUST go.

So, we struck a favourable deal ("Get all this crap out of here, and we'll call it even") and Rusti had found a new home. After giving her some time to get used to her new accomodations (and me some time to figure out what I'd gotten myself into) I began her transformation. I'm sorry I don't have pictures from the very beginning, but I have started a photo record that I will update as I go along.

For Rusti's first operation, I removed her drivetrain following a procedure I found on the Pelican Parts website (a well done tech article if anyone is interested). Then, I gutted her interior and front trunk. What lay before me now was the daunting size of the task before me.

I knew that there were some structural problems from the outset, as Rusti sagged a little at the doors. In anticipation of this I had ordered a frame kit from Brad Mayeur, but I didn't realize the full extent of her injuries until I got to know her more intimately (mainly because I didn't know what the hell I was doing when I got her). Both longitudinals (inner and outer on both sides) were rusted right through on the bottom. The floor on the driver's side could barely support the seat. The firewall had several major rust spots. The area around the battery was virtually non-existent with the cancer going right into the frame riser and suspension console. Both front wheel wells had holes right into the cabin, and the front trunk had a well ventilated floor.

I decided the area to start would be the longitudinals, and that is basically where I am at now. After putting Rusti on stands, I stripped all of the paint from the driver's side with a chemical stripper just to see if any more damage would reveal itself. Luckily, it was not was too bad. Using a sawzall and cutting wheel, I cut out all the major rust. I decided to lop the bottom half of the longitudinals right off and just rebuild them. I had the frame kit already, but I needed something solid to attach to and this seemed to be the most econimical solution.

Before adding any new metal, I treated the entire area (and up into the longitudinal) with a rust converter to kill any surface rust and then coated it all with a weld-thru zinc primer. I had machine shop bend some 18 ga. sheet metal to fit the spots I cut out of the horizontal section of the longitudinal and then fashioned some patches on my own to fit the area where it bends and goes up into the rear wheel well/engine bay. I coated these and welded them in. I also fashioned my own patch for the front wheel well and welded it in so that it tied into the longitudinal.

The next step is to install the frame kit on the driver's side and then start the whole procedure again on the passenger side. Once Rusti is all straight and strong again, I will strip her down completely and get all the rust out of her frame. I know some of you are wondering why I don't just go and get a new tub and move all of good parts to it, but for some reason it just doesn't seem right. Good bodies are hard to find in Canada, and I feel I owe it to Rusti (and myself) to see this thing through. Future plans for Rusti include new suspension (front and rear), a BMW brake upgrade, new wheels (17X7's already bought from Revolution), new paint (obviously), and more than likely a V8 or V6 conversion (I figure, "What the hell, I'm doing everything else!").

Follow along, and I will keep you updated. It should be an interesting couple of (few?) years.
riverman
Driver's side with patch welded in.
riverman
Driver's door frame.
riverman
Passenger side Longitudinal.
riverman
Engine bay.
riverman
Remains of the driver's side longitunal.
jr91472
you got a great attitude IPB Image

can't wait to see this car as it progresses

oh and welcome. IPB Image
riverman
I've just completed patching the driver's side long. and front wheel well before installing the stiffening kit.
Lou W
Wow, Amazing, Keep up the good work IPB Image

Welcome aboard IPB Image
i love porsche
wow! nice work! welcome, and keep the pictures coming!!
DJsRepS
Good story what are you a writer? And good welding work too. I had to replace the whole drivers side floor in mine with only gas torches. Scarry near the tunnel plastic gas lines and all. I bought mine from a local retired school teacher 6yrs ago for $400. After sitting in PO's open carport for 9yrs in Fl I dragged it home and 3 days latter I was getting it registered. I was amazed how easly it came back to life. It leaked oil on the pipes and smoked at the lights but it ran good. The shifter was sloppy and drivers seat rusted loose with milk juggs behind me so I could reach the pedals. All that did not bother me it ran good and I loved it. I took it back to the old retired school teacher to show him his car after setting that long and offered him a ride but he was in a walker and did not want to try. You could see by his smile he wanted that ride too. It made his day hearing the motor again. Alot more to the story (lak of $, sat 5yr, fixed brakes, PO passed away, motor got water in cyl, dropped valve, valve job and rust repair,etc...) running out of time today. The car survived all that its still ugly but a daily driver.
SpecialK
QUOTE (riverman @ Jan 28 2005, 07:24 AM)
I know some of you are wondering why I don't just go and get a new tub and move all of good parts to it, but for some reason it just doesn't seem right. Good bodies are hard to find in Canada,

Riverman, you had me until this statement IPB Image , beautifully articulate, and your spelling is impeccable (which will make some forum members happy).....but I happen to know that Shania Twain comes from the GWN (no....not you Bruce), and her body is complete rust-free as far as I can tell. IPB Image

Great progress on the car though! IPB Image
riverman
I happen to know that Shania Twain comes from the GWN (no....not you Bruce), and her body is complete rust-free as far as I can tell.

I wonder if her plastic surgeon has a progress thread on the AMA website? IPB Image
Hammy
QUOTE (jr91472 @ Jan 28 2005, 07:56 AM)
you got a great attitude IPB Image

can't wait to see this car as it progresses

oh and welcome. IPB Image

IPB Image
xsboost90
looks like you are on the same path as most of us here on 914world.com. Luckily my rust is alittle more tame because i dont know if i would have had the patience to do much more. It looks like you doing an excellent job though. I believe they have a 914 meet up in michigan in the fall sometimes, maybe when its done you'll have to unveil her to some fellow teenians. Happy cutting!
F4i
Wow welcome to the board. That is more work than I was willing to tackle and I live in Canada.
Somebody should make sure you get out to the WCC. They needed articles after the last one and I think your contribution would be welcome.
The articles last year were excellent but the more the better I would think.
riverman
I've just finished welding in the patches to complete the driver's side door frame. Lots of difficult little bends and cuts here, but it's amazing what you can do with a pair of snips, vise grips, a hammer, and alot of patience. I think my welding is starting to get better, but it's hard to see under the zinc primer (just a well).
riverman
I haven't updated this in a while and I probably should. I've been busy, but it's the kind of work that isn't too glamorous. A lot of cutting, grinding, and welding.

Currently, I'm working on the passenger side long and the Hell Hole. I cut the rusty bottom off the inside long and tacked the patch in place. It will join up to the outside long patch once it is put in place. Before I can do the outside long, I had to go up into the Hell Hole and patch the suspension riser so everything can tie in. In order to patch the suspension riser I had to remove the old suspension mounts because they were rusted out as well. In order to get at the outside suspension mount I had to remove the part of the rear quarter panel. Because the door latch area was rusted, I decided to remove it at the same time.

So, after much cutting and grinding an welding, I've re-attached new suspension mounts from a donor car (talk about a PITA to get those off intact), and patched the holes in the fender wall, and patched the top of the suspension riser.

Next I'm going to fashion a patch for the bottom of the suspension riser that ties into the long and then weld on the patch for the outside long. Then I'll have to cut the rust out of the front fender well and then patch it so that everything ties into the longs. After that, I'll patch the floors and tie them into the longs and then install the Mayeur stiffening kit (as a safety measure). And that's as far as I've gone with my thinking. I don't want to get too far ahead of myself and lose focus on the task at hand.

The first couple of pics show what I'm dealing with. The next several pics will show progress.
riverman
The Hell Hole before.
riverman
Fender wall exposed.
riverman
Some rust cut out and the suspension mounts removed.
riverman
Outside suspension mount removed.
riverman
Hell Hole mostly patched up.
aveale
Hello Kitchener from Arnprior (outside of Ottawa).

Great work, and now i don't feel so bad when i look at my longs!!

Where do you find the time?

Anyways, it is great to see the progress and I appreciate you sharing your adventures with us.

On a social note, I have some great friends in K/Waterloo and I would love to catch up when I am down your way.

Cheers,

T

riverman
QUOTE (aveale @ Mar 9 2005, 11:54 AM)
Hello Kitchener from Arnprior (outside of Ottawa).

Great work, and now i don't feel so bad when i look at my longs!!

Where do you find the time?

Anyways, it is great to see the progress and I appreciate you sharing your adventures with us.

On a social note, I have some great friends in K/Waterloo and I would love to catch up when I am down your way.

Cheers,

T

Well, G'day g'day. I'm from the valley too! wavey.gif Born and raised in Deep River. I still go up there alot to see my parents. When the car is done in a couple of years, I'll email you when I'm driving through and we can meet out on Old 17 and have a race. driving.gif

PM me if you want to drop by next time you're in KW and we can have a beer and swap BS. beerchug.gif
LongARM
Hi ..new member here from Kingston ont..
Good story and nice project..
remember..."restore um don't crush um.."
Mark Henry
Man that's a project...make's me apreciate my cherry 914

Me thinks thar be a tad 'o' beer3.gif before this one is on de road.

I'm thinking of putting my puppy on the road this weekend...I know-I know pissoff.gif

happy11.gif
merrill
WOW, You have my respect cool.gif I would have run and hid at the thought of that project cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.