Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Could this be Queenies car...?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
ws91420
The 1976 2.0 914 is widely regarded as the most desireable of all four-cylinder cars built in the six year 914 run. Known for the highest horsepower

Boy did he get that statement wrong
bondo
I don't think I've ever seen it around.
seanery
yup, that's her car.
rick 918-S
I miss Queenie. She was a big part of the early planning for the WCC 04 when we were trying to have it in the Slo area. If your checkin the BBS Gurl IPB Image
Carlitos Way
It sure looks like her car... but hers had a "little" dent in one of the doors, if I remember correctly. Do you think that's why they did a "$3000 paint job"?
Root_Werks
I always liked the viper green. IPB Image

Wonder what her reserve is? I would rather have Reys 914 for $4k.
bondo
QUOTE (914 novice @ Jan 28 2005, 11:41 AM)
How do you guys put the links in here?this car is on craigslist for $5500

On the page where you type the message, there's a button above where you type in that says http://

click that button and it will prompt you for the link, and then the text you want the link to say. It will then insert the HTML for the link in your message at the end of whatever you've typed so far.
914 novice
QUOTE (914 novice @ Jan 28 2005, 11:11 AM)
QUOTE (914 novice @ Jan 28 2005, 10:41 AM)
How do you guys put the links in here?this car is on craigslist for $5500

Maybe this time76 on craigslist

It helps if you spell everything right and don't leave any numbers out IPB Image
Thanks for your patience!!!
ws91420
If it's Queenies she is not selling it. She had sold it to someone already.
markb
Yup, Queenie sold hers a while back. Took the first offer. I wish I would have had the moolah to buy it. I can't remember whether it actually was converted to 5 lug. For some reason I thought they used adapters. I'm not sure it's worth what they're trying to get for it, but I seem to remember it having lots of potential.

After reading the whole ebay ad, I don't think this was Queenie's car. Looks a whole lot like it, tho.
Queenie
Yeah, that's my old car.

Unless they did a ground-up resto there is no way on earth the little beast is rust-free. I saw the pan and I'm here to tell you there was rust. Plenty of it. The longitudinals are ok, the battery tray was rusty. Not a rust-free car by any stretch of the imagination, though. And it would have taken A LOT of work to make it so.

It's been painted and cleaned up, so the issues like the dent in the passenger side door and the rust on the front and rear deck lids have been dealt with - who knows how well?

I think it's hilarious, actually. I don't see how the car could have been so totally transformed in this short a period of time, but I suppose if you throw enough money at something you can work what appear to be miracles.

And the reason there are fifteen thousand dollars worth of receipts for it is because IT NEEDED A SHITLOAD OF WORK JUST TO STAY ON THE ROAD, not because anyone was fixing it up.

Sheesh.
Queenie
Urgh.

The more I thought about this the more it bothered me.

There's just no way that anyone could have done in less than a month everything this car needed done in order to be a six thousand dollar car.

And I sent an email via Ebay to the person bidding on it saying so.

Someone please tell me that wasn't a bad thing to do! I hate the thought of anyone getting ripped off even though it's not my car anymore.
Gustl
QUOTE (Queenie @ Jan 29 2005, 09:53 PM)

Someone please tell me that wasn't a bad thing to do!  I hate the thought of anyone getting ripped off even though it's not my car anymore.

I'm pretty sure you did the correct thing.
And the person bidding on this car will think the same - at least I hope so.
914 novice
QUOTE (Queenie @ Jan 29 2005, 12:53 PM)
Urgh.

The more I thought about this the more it bothered me.

There's just no way that anyone could have done in less than a month everything this car needed done in order to be a six thousand dollar car.

Someone please tell me that wasn't a bad thing to do!  I hate the thought of anyone getting ripped off even though it's not my car anymore.

Queenie,
I do not think there was anything wrong with what you did as long as you were specific about the issues the car had when you sold it so that the person bidding can look to see if they were taken care of and decide for themselves.We would all like to be treated fairly especially someone like myself who is just starting to do research on these cars.I quickly realized i did not have the mechanical knowledge to fix one i could afford or the money to buy one that i could just enjoy.But I continue to lurk and learn and enjoy everyones posts.ESPECIALLY the sand box!!!!!!!!
cheers Paul
Queenie
All I said was that the car was not rust-free when I sold it a month ago, and that I hoped he had inspected it thoroughly because I felt that it was being misrepresented since everything it needed is unlikely to have been addressed in the time that's passed since I sold it.

There is an awful lot of bullshit in that ad. An awful lot.

Why, for instance, would anyone spend three grand on a paint job and not spring for the extra two hundred bucks to put a new windshield in? What kind of three thousand dollar paint job doesn't involve removing the windshield?

I'm also very skeptical that proper repairs were done to the engine. And I've still got my jpgs of the pan and the battery tray - rust-free they are not.

It just doesn't sit well with me. I'm also very disappointed that the buyer misrepresented himself to me as someone who gave a damn about the car, but that's beside the point. He's trying to rip someone off and that bothers me. I have been a devoted air-cooled owner & driver for coming up on twenty years now and I hate to see people act so shitty towards others in the air-cooled community, whether newbie or old hand. I feel like I have at least a little bit of responsibility to prevent it if I can.
914 novice
I would have done the same !! I remember your post now!!! I hope that you and your cat are doing well!!
Paul
markb
Queenie, You absolutely did the right thing! There a shysters all over trying to take advantage of those who know no better. Most of us knew very little about these cars when we bought our first one, and would probably been very happy for a heads-up from a former owner. I know I would have been. I was sorry I didn't have the money to buy your car, it had a lot going for it for someone who had the time and money to put into it. It's a shame someone has to try & get top dollar for a car with a lot left to be done. Just my .02 worth. Mark
Queenie
Thank you for your kind words, Mark. You too, Paul.

It's far from a horrible car, and it really did (does) have a ton of potential, but I just don't see how it got a full restoration from the pan up and a complete bottom end rebuild in a month's time. Very, very fishy. And he says the wheels are straight, but there's a noticeable ding in one of them - so what else is he making up?

There is no way he did everything the car needed - if he had, he would not be making any profit on it at all, not even at six grand. He'd be breaking even, if that.

Grrrrr. IPB Image

Anyhow. On a lighter note, here are some pictures of the cat's progress from battered to blissful. He is doing very, very well and we're both looking forward to 2005 being a much better year than 2004.

IPB Image
tutur
Hello everybody!

Sorry, but I have to re-awake this old thread: I found the 914 owned by "Queenie" in Hamburg / Germany.

First of all a short introduction: my name is Rainer, built in 1970 and I'm a huge Roadster Fan. I owned a SMART Roadster for almost seven years, but due to problems with the engine I had to sell it in March this year.

As I could not find any appropriate replacement I'm not looking now for a Porsche 914.

And I guess I found a nice one:

https://home.mobile.de/TOM-CARS#des_211513947

I guess it's the one that was formerly known as "Queenies" car. At least the VIN is matching ...

Is there anybody who can tell me a little bit about this motor, the history, if the colour is original etc.? Is it worth spending the money?

Regards,

Rainer
Mark Henry
QUOTE(tutur @ Aug 18 2015, 09:04 AM) *

Hello everybody!

Sorry, but I have to re-awake this old thread: I found the 914 owned by "Queenie" in Hamburg / Germany.

First of all a short introduction: my name is Rainer, built in 1970 and I'm a huge Roadster Fan. I owned a SMART Roadster for almost six years, but due to problems with the engine I had to sell it in March this year.

As I could not find any appropriate replacement I'm not looking now for a Porsche 914.

And I guess I found a nice one:

https://home.mobile.de/TOM-CARS#des_211513947

I guess it's the one that was formerly known as "Queenies" car. At least the VIN is matching ...

Is there anybody who can tell me a little bit about this motor, the history, if the colour is original etc.? Is it worth spending the money?

Regards,

Rainer

Queenie! wow! Now there's a blast from the past!
She hasn't been on this site since 2006.
SirAndy
QUOTE(tutur @ Aug 18 2015, 06:04 AM) *
I found the 914 owned by "Queenie" in Hamburg / Germany.

welcome.png

Schöne Grüße aus dem sonnigen Kalifornien!
bye1.gif

Wenn ich mich recht erinnere hatte der Wagen ein paar Probleme, inklusive Rost.
Keine Ahnung ob das inzwischen repariert wurde, da sollte man aber auf jeden Fall eine persönliche Besichtigung machen, idealerweise mit einem 914er Spezialisten im Tau.
driving.gif
tutur
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 18 2015, 03:40 PM) *

... Queenie! wow! Now there's a blast from the past!
She hasn't been on this site since 2006.

I hope that her mailadresse is still valid ...
tutur
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 18 2015, 07:46 PM) *

...Schöne Grüße aus dem sonnigen Kalifornien! ...

Gruss zurück aus dem regnerischen Hamburg!

Sie mal einer an - mit einer Antwort auf Deutsch hätte ich nicht gerechnet. bye1.gif

Was hat Dich nach Kalifornien verschlagen? Die Suche nach Autoschnäppchen? shades.gif

Die Anzeige das Autohauses wirft viele Fragen auf. Die Kilometerangabe kann nicht stimmen, der Wagen wurde mit rund 175.000 Kilometern in den USA verkauft.
Da aber ansonsten zur Zeit kein interessanter 14er in der Gegend um Hamburg zu finden. Ich werde mir den Wagen mal ansehen und dann berichten. Fahren kann ich ihn leider nicht, die Benzinpumpe ist defekt.

Oder hast Du zufällig einen rostfreien Porsche an der Hand? biggrin.gif

Rainer
tutur
@ all: sorry, this is NOT a german thread, any reply is welcome!
SirAndy
QUOTE(tutur @ Aug 18 2015, 12:22 PM) *

@ all: sorry, this is NOT a german thread, any reply is welcome!

biggrin.gif
They are used to it (i think), this is an international forum after all.

As for my being here in the US, lets just say it involved a girl. The rest of that story requires a lot of time and booze.
shades.gif
Gustl
QUOTE(tutur @ Aug 18 2015, 07:11 PM) *

Die Anzeige das Autohauses wirft viele Fragen auf. Die Kilometerangabe kann nicht stimmen, der Wagen wurde mit rund 175.000 Kilometern in den USA verkauft.

as the ad says "Die Km Angabe ist der abgelesene Tachostand" that's no problem at all
the 914 has only 5 digits, so I take it that it's 213.700 km (or even miles?)

and of course:

welcome.png ... from the south biggrin.gif

EdwardBlume
welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png

Good luck with the car and your 914 program!
DBCooper
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 18 2015, 12:26 PM) *

As for my being here in the US, lets just say it involved a girl. The rest of that story requires a lot of time and booze.
shades.gif

Ha ha ha, that's exactly how I learned Portuguese! A girl and a lot of booze, beaches and palm trees!!

Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Gustl @ Aug 18 2015, 01:38 PM)
"Die Km Angabe ist der abgelesene Tachostand[/i]" that's no problem at all
the 914 has only 5 digits, so I take it that it's 213.700 km (or even miles?)

and of course:

welcome.png ... from the south biggrin.gif

welcome.png willkommem Rainer
Tachostand kind of reminds me of this little Taco stand in Hollywood chowtime.gif
Marty
Click to view attachment
tutur
@ all: thank you very much for your warm welcome!

Thank you very much for the information about the five digits counter. And yes, it will be milage, not kilometers. The is even more feeding my doubt that this car is roundabout 15k€ worth.

But let's see: if I can make it, I will visit the dealer today for a first look at the car. Unfortunately I can't do a test drive because of the broken fuel pump, but I need to ckeck whether I fit into the car or not: I'm 196cm tall and something about 130kg (hoping for reducution ...). But if Edd China fits into this car, I probably will as well (do you guys know Edd China???) smile.gif

@ Maltese Falcon: that's really funny! I never recognised the similarity between "Tachostand" and "Tacostand". Maybe because we do not have any "Tacostands" in Germany ...

@ Sir Andy: maybe thet's just the best reason to move to a different country ...

Rainer
Gustl
QUOTE(tutur @ Aug 19 2015, 07:06 AM) *

..., but I need to ckeck whether I fit into the car or not: I'm 196cm tall and something about 130kg

I'm pretty sure you will fit
you're just 2 cm taller than I am, and I've no problem
just the distance from the steering wheel to the shiftstic could be better - especially in R and 1 biggrin.gif

Dave_Darling
People are built differently, though. I am only 185 cm tall, but have headroom challenges in many cars--my head brushes the top in a 914. I solve that by removing the seat cushion and putting a thin foam pad in its place.

I know that the center console (if equipped) can take away some room for longer legs to splay outward, and it can get in the way of very large feet. (The air conditioning setup in cars with that is even worse for feet!)

--DD
tutur
QUOTE(tutur @ Aug 18 2015, 03:04 PM) *

... my name is Rainer, built in 1970 and I'm a huge Roadster Fan. I owned a SMART Roadster for almost seven years, but due to problems with the engine I had to sell it in March this year ...

http://www.44forum.de/index.php/Attachment...en-2012-181-JPG

My previous Roadster ...
tutur
Well, i went to the dealer today and had a look at the car - it is indeed the car which was owned by "Queenie" before, the VIN is the same.

Here are the pictures I took today:

http://picasaweb.google.com/10655250381601...feat=directlink

Unfortunately the car isn't in the good shape as you may thing after reading the advertisement of the dealer. The manager is the owner of the car, but he just knows almost nothing about is. Who, when, where ... no knowledge about the history or when the engine was rebuilt etc..

The front and the back hood as well as the Targa roof have been repainted in a very bad way: cloudyness and cavitys all over, and the coulour isn't really matching.

The rest of the car is more or less okay, some blisters and a little bit of rust here and there, nothing serious. The engine looks okay, the brakes as well (already changed to disc brakes on the rear and 5 hole hubs).

But I discovered that the car had an accident on the right left side.

All in all it is the unexpected construction are, and I'm not willing to pay 15 k€ for it. I hope that there are better cars outside waiting for me smile.gif

Neverthelles, I guess I will do a test ride as soon as the fuel pump is replaced.

@ Gustl & Dave_Darling: sitting in the car feels allright, there is enough space at least with the open roof. But the pedals are very narrow ...
SirAndy
QUOTE(tutur @ Aug 19 2015, 09:36 AM) *

That link doesn't work for me. Page not found!
sad.gif
SirAndy
Yes, that worked, thanks!
beerchug.gif
SirAndy

huh.gif

IPB Image
bigkensteele
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 19 2015, 11:21 AM) *

huh.gif

IPB Image

I was under the impression that the TuV was pretty picky with imported cars! confused24.gif
Gustl
QUOTE(tutur @ Aug 19 2015, 05:36 PM) *

... the brakes as well (already changed to disc brakes on the rear and 5 hole hubs).

maybe I misunderstand your sentence, but all 914 had 4 disk breaks from the factory shades.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Aug 19 2015, 12:49 PM) *
I was under the impression that the TuV was pretty picky with imported cars! confused24.gif

They are but from what i can tell the car isn't registered yet in Germany.

That "creative" fuel pump arrangement certainly won't fly with the TÜV when the time comes to get the car registered.
blink.gif
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 19 2015, 12:21 PM) *

huh.gif

IPB Image

I kind of dig the custom fuel pump setup. You can watch it suck (fuel).
bigkensteele
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 19 2015, 02:58 PM) *

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Aug 19 2015, 12:49 PM) *

They are but from what i can tell the car isn't registered yet in Germany.

That "creative" fuel pump arrangement certainly won't fly with the TÜV when the time comes to get the car registered.
blink.gif

Just curious, Andy... Do you have both German and English keyboards, or do you key the ascii equivalent for German characters such as the umlaut above?
SirAndy
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Aug 19 2015, 08:40 PM) *
Just curious, Andy... Do you have both German and English keyboards, or do you key the ascii equivalent for German characters such as the umlaut above?

I have a US keyboard. I use the ALT + Numeric Key Pad trick to get my umlauts ...

http://symbolcodes.tlt.psu.edu/accents/codealt.html
shades.gif
tutur
@ Gustl: thank you very much for this information - I thought that the original 914 had drum brakes at the rear axle.

@ SirAndy and BigKenSteele: as mentioned before - the fuel pump is broken and will be replaced today or tomorrow. Or do you refer to anything else? If so, please give me a hint!

FYI: the car is already registered with German papers and historic number plate (H-Kennzeichen), latest TÜV certification was in April this year. But the seller didn't tell me whether he has imported the car or not. Interesting point, I will ask this question!

So, what is your overall impression of this car?
Is it common to change the 914 hubs to 912 hubs (or are these 914/6 hubs???) and what is the benefit? A wider range of rims?
And what is the relatively new and shiny aluminium system close to the battery?

Another maybe simple question: are the grey carpets and the seat covers original??? Never saw that on any pictures before ...

Rainer
Dave_Darling
The 76 is not my favorite year. It's got the lousy late-style exhaust and a smog pump on it. In CA, it is the only 914 that has to pass biannual smog inspections.

There are rust bubbles under the paint in several areas, which means the rust is coming from underneath and when you try to fix it you will find more. In addition, the paint on several panels doesn't really match.

There are no photos of the "hell hole" and related areas, so it is difficult to say how bad the structure of the car might be.

I am not impressed, and would not pay much for the car. Then again, I am prejudiced against the later cars.

The seats and carpet are not original materials, as far as I can determine. A good resource for that is on Jeff Bowlsby's website: http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/PaintFabrics.htm (Look around the rest of it for a while, lots of interesting stuff there!!)

--DD
tutur
Can you please explain were the "hell holes" are?

Or can I find a List with advices for someone who wants to buy a '14 in this forum?

Dave_Darling
The "hell hole" is in front of the battery, right-front corner of the engine bay. Tends to rust--a lot! Here's a thread showing one man's repair process for the whole area: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=16748

Oh, forgot earlier: It's fairly common to replace the front struts with 911 parts. That allows you to use five-lug 911 wheels, which look cool and have a whole lot of different styles to choose from. Wheels with the 4x130mm pattern are far fewer, especially in 914-freindly offsets. Most are made for old Bugs, and put the wheels too far out in the fenders.

In most cases, you also get bigger brakes to go along with your five-log wheels. They handle heat a lot better than the stock solid rotor 914-4 brakes.

The 914-6 used (a version of) early 911 struts, in fact.

--DD
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 20 2015, 08:38 AM) *
The "hell hole" is in front of the battery, right-front corner of the engine bay. Tends to rust--a lot!

agree.gif

The battery sits on a metal tray. That tray is welded to the back of the longitudinal frame which is part of the backbone of your car.
Acid drips down from the battery tray and eats through the metal there and eventually makes its way to the bottom of the frame rail.

As you can see in the thread that Dave linked above, even if it looks somewhat OK from the outside, the actual rust cancer can be substantial and compromises the structural integrity of the car.

A careful inspection includes a pointy screwdriver and a lot of poking in at least 3 areas:

- The top of the frame rail under the battery tray at the lowest point right near the firewall.

- The bottom of the frame rail. You usually have to remove the outer rocker covers to get a good look. If you can't get them off, try from underneath the car.

- The floorboard right behind the passenger seat. Move the seat all the way forward, lift the carpet and start poking.
CAUTION: The factory used tar sound deadening material on the floors and they are painted over. Most of the time it will visually look OK because of that. You really need to poke around for rust since the tar tends to hold the rusty pieces together and the paint on the tar hides it well.

beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.