Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A different "tow" vehicle?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Big Len
After seeing all the great pictures from Red Rocks and Tennessee, Linda and I would like to attend next year, but here's the problem:

1. My back ain't gonna last 12-30 hours in my little car.

2. Linda packs more stuff than a NASCAR team.

So, the choices are towing or shipping.

Towing is a problem because I don't have a trailer or a vehicle to tow with. Checking the prices to rent both is pretty expensive per mile. Plus, you have an exposed car and are subject to all the issues with towing a car.

Shipping is again an expensive proposition with the problem of pickup and delivery and return.

I'm taking the long way around the barn, but my question is has anyone ever used a step van as a car transporter? Something similar to a UPS or FedEx truck, a duelie with a roll up door wide enough to fit our car. It would be low enough to use a ramp and would need a couple of welded tie downs inside.

There are a couple of all aluminum units near me that are cheap enough, under $4000. Maybe change the seats to make them more comfortable. Plus, I could use it for camping or moving crap around.

Any thoughts?

EdwardBlume
Rent a Uhaul.
JeffBowlsby
He who organizes an event, calls the shots.

Hold a 914 pow-wow in your neighborhood, save the shipping costs.
JStroud
If it would fit and it could handle the weight, it sounds like an interesting idea. Would be nicer than towing a trailer.
dlkawashima
17' Box Truck?

http://www.uhaul.com/TruckSales/used-box-t...p-sales/EL/204/
Bruce Hinds
Most step vans don't have room between the wheel wells. If you can get an old Uhaul truck, I think some of them have a flat floor. They did that by using tiny rear wheels so the ride is kind of rough.
Big Len
QUOTE(RobW @ Oct 4 2014, 10:23 AM) *

Rent a Uhaul.

I checked, very expensive per mile.A Uhaul dealer near me gets $19.99/ day and $.89 a mile.
Big Len

Rent a Uhaul.

I checked, very expensive per mile.A Uhaul dealer near me gets $19.99/ day and $.89 a mile. That's just the truck.
Big Len
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Oct 4 2014, 11:05 AM) *

This might be too small. You need 15 feet of space behind front seats.

Was thinking more like this - http://newjersey.craigslist.org/ctd/4673918582.html
mepstein
QUOTE(Big Len @ Oct 4 2014, 11:14 AM) *

Rent a Uhaul.

I checked, very expensive per mile.A Uhaul dealer near me gets $19.99/ day and $.89 a mile. That's just the truck.

I'm renting a moving truck today to pick up a non roller 914. $50 + 90 cents per mile. but its only a 60 mile round trip so the numbers work. I also rent a uhaul car trailer when i need it for 1 day 914 pickups.

Fly down, rent a nice car and enjoy the fun. Save your 914 for local events.
Johny Blackstain
It can be done- here's the factory/gulf-weyer way:
dlkawashima

Click to view attachment
messix
John Kelly converted a box van to do this and he head to modify the rear doors and the seats to do so.

have you ever been in a box van ?

I think you would hate life after 3hrs of driving one, they are noisy rough riding and having a 2k lb object on wheels just inches behind you with no barrier to stop it from running you out the front in an accident would be a very bad idea.
Bruce Hinds
Buy a nice seat for the long drive in the teener and send your wife's luggage via FedEx, it would be much cheaper than the gas to drive the truck and a whole lot more fun.
mepstein
QUOTE(Big Len @ Oct 4 2014, 11:20 AM) *

Was thinking more like this - http://newjersey.craigslist.org/ctd/4673918582.html

You will not have fun driving a truck like that on a long trip. Neither will your wife.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 4 2014, 01:24 PM) *

QUOTE(Big Len @ Oct 4 2014, 11:20 AM) *

You will not have fun driving a truck like that on a long trip. Neither will your wife.

I agree with the last few responses.
The 914 seat will feel like a Stratolounger compared to a box truck slab.
A 914 is an aerodynamic brick, a box truck is a barn.
And last and also first, box trucks are for local deliveries. Better investigate highway gears first.
ClayPerrine
Do what the AX guys to do haul tires.

Get a small trailer from Northern Tool. Put a car top luggage carrier on it. Pack her stuff in the trailer and pull it with the 914. That adds a third trunk to the car, and it is limited only by how big you buy the car top luggage carrier.Unhitch it when you get there for the twisty bits.

Another alternative is to bolt the car top luggage carrier to an old targa top. Put your "good" top in the back trunk and put the luggage carrier on the car. Remove at the hotel and replace with the "good" top for the drives.

Or teach her how to pack for a 914 trip using soft sided luggage.

Big Len
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 5 2014, 08:07 AM) *

Or teach her how to pack for a 914 trip using soft sided luggage.

I'd rather walk down the Gaza Strip wearing a yamaka. Can't be done
messix
some times you can find haulers like this fairly cheap

Big Len
QUOTE(messix @ Oct 5 2014, 10:27 PM) *

Now that would be perfect.
peteyd
Or you could build your own like we are...

Click to view attachment

More pics here
Krieger
Wow! Love that truck
KELTY360
QUOTE(messix @ Oct 5 2014, 07:27 PM) *

Of course you can find them cheap....it's a Chevy. poke.gif
Big Len
QUOTE(peteyd @ Oct 6 2014, 12:44 PM) *

Click to view attachment

More pics here

Beautiful. What year is chassis and cab?
Big Len
QUOTE(peteyd @ Oct 6 2014, 12:44 PM) *

Click to view attachment

More pics here

Beautiful. What year is chassis and cab?

What's the motor?
peteyd

The cab is a 1940 White. google "1940 white labatts truck" and you will find what it looked like back in the day.

The chassis is a 1990 Dodge dually and the engine is a 12 valve cummins. Original hp is 160 with 400lb-ft torque but we upgraded the cam, turbo, injectors and fuel pump which will give us nearly 500hp.
veekry9
How bout that,I recognized it right away,White.
With Sherman's Sand &Gravel up the street,as a kid I saw,heard and smelled that model daily.They supplied the construction of the QEW(Ontario).

Gonna be nice.
Will you run a 5th and trailer?
With all that power you could run a tandem axle.
Real Retro.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=custom+paint...ck&imgdii=_

Looked at the deck weldment pix ,very nice.
flipb
In your neck of the woods, relatively:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Other-Fl...=US_Cars_Trucks

Click to view attachment
Big Len
Beautiful truck, but not to drive too far. Look at that front seat....looks like torture.

Substitute a pair of air rides if they fit. Still over my meager budget with reserve not met.
JRust
Buy a flat tow kit for the 914. I've towed mine many times this way & prefer it. You'll hardly know it is back there. It also doesn't take a big rig to tow it. At 2200lbs you can tow it with a car. Get yourself a nice TDI diesel Passat or whatever your comfortable in.

As much as I would love one of those cool car hauler's. Unless you tow your car ALOT it's going to sit there 330 days out of the year confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.