Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 912 hockey puck horn button
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Harpo
Is it possible to use a 912 hockey puck horn button on my 914 steering wheel?

Thanks

David
mepstein
yes. twists right on (an early car). Needs the parts from the horn pad to make the horn work on a mid or late car. I love the look.
Harpo
Thanks

I got new leather & trim ring off eBay and the base from 914 rubber. All reproductions of course. This was still cheaper than Siera Modre or zuffenhausen.
I plan of sending my 914 wheel to Dallas wheel to be double wrapped

David
ClayPerrine
Yes, you can.
I have one in my 914.
carr914
QUOTE(Harpo @ Oct 5 2014, 06:49 AM) *

Thanks

I got new leather & trim ring off eBay and the base from 914 rubber. All reproductions of course. This was still cheaper than Siera Modre or zuffenhausen.
I plan of sending my 914 wheel to Dallas wheel to be double wrapped

David

David, Dallas Steering Wheel does a Great Job on the Double Wrap - DON'T let them paint the wheel though, their color & sheen is wrong. Even if your wheel has a scratch or 2, keep that Patina & Color vs their color.

nsr-jamie
I would like to see some pictures of this done please. Is this like the look of the original 914-6 GT cars...I am interested in something like that for my car using the original wheel.
Johny Blackstain
aktion035.gif
Harpo
Original but yet a substantial improvement to the original all at the same time.
Harpo
I ended up having the base made out of aluminum. I was going to anodize it black but I didn't want it to be that shiny so I painted it black and sanded it instead.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Harpo
Click to view attachment
mepstein
Can you give me more details about your aluminum baseplate. I want one. biggrin.gif
nsr-jamie
Yes, this is the look I want for my car. I love it...so where can I find the parts to do it, my wheel is a 72 model. I get the puck or cup from an auction somewhere from a 912?? Are there any repros out there?

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Oct 6 2014, 12:36 AM) *

aktion035.gif

MrKona
QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Nov 16 2014, 07:39 PM) *

Yes, this is the look I want for my car. I love it...so where can I find the parts to do it, my wheel is a 72 model. I get the puck or cup from an auction somewhere from a 912?? Are there any repros out there?

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Oct 6 2014, 12:36 AM) *

aktion035.gif

I've always liked this look too, just wouldn't (and couldn't) pay insane prices for an original hockey puck off a 912. Had no idea repros are available from 914Rubber.
Harpo
I purchased a very rough horn button off the samba. However is was in such bad shape I also purchased a new stainless steel ring and new leather patch off EBAY. I got the base from Mickey.

I put it all together but was not entirely happy with the way it turned out. So I had my brother draw it up so it could be turned on a lathe. The ridges around the perimeter has to be done on a CNC. This is the first one that I got back. I have a second one being made by a different source so we will how that turns out

I do have the original ring that needs to be rechromed, a new ebay leather patch and the base from Mickey that I will be posting for sale if anyone is interested.

I will post the drawing up if anyone wants to make their own base.

Thanks

David
Click to view attachment
peteyd
I would be interested in that drawing for sure.

thanks for offering it

Pete
Harpo
The current drawing is only 2D. I have not been able to convince anyone @ work to make me a model.

David
bigkensteele
How much does Dallas Wheel charge to wrap one? Mine is plastic, so I would want it padded, I suppose.
mepstein
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Nov 17 2014, 08:52 PM) *

How much does Dallas Wheel charge to wrap one? Mine is plastic, so I would want it padded, I suppose.

$320-400. I highly recommend them.
Red72
Does anyone still have this drawing available? Looking at making a puck myself...the leather portion is going to be wood however...and laser engrave the crest onto the wood.
Old Yella
I would be interested in the ring, patch and base which you are going to post. Can you send me a pic. thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.