Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Photoshop Gurus?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MarkV
1.How do you draw arrows on a photo in Photoshop?

2. How do you combine a string of photos into one jpg?

confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif
Brad Roberts
2. Create a new image based on 2-3 pics.

You will need to know the size of each pic (640x480). Now create a new image with the size of 640x960. 960 is the length. You will now be able to "put" two 640 wide pics into the new one you created. Bring both pics up that you want to merge into one... copy each pic and hit the button for "paste into current selection" and make sure you have "selected" or clicked on the new "empty" pic before you "paste". Then save the new selection some place where you can locate it later. I'll do screen shots tomorrow for you.

Guy's (Jeroen,Andy,Olav,LB,Sean) please respond to this post. It will be easier on us if we can each show everybody how to "photo edit" with the different software available. I know Gint uses Irfanview.. maybe we should offer it up on the downloads page and do a short write up on easy "tasks" like shrinking pics and "arrows".

B
Jeroen
Sorry, I don't work with PhotoShop...
I still use Corel (I should start working with PhotoShop, but I'm just to lazy to relearn all the functions).

For putting serveral pics into one picture, browse the menus in PhS. There should be a function called "stitch" (most graphic suites have this option).
This function should enable you to load a second picture and it will paste it to the one you are working on...

Sorry, to be off so little help

cheers,

Jeroen
914Timo
IMHO, PhotoShop sucks.....

It is too complicated. If I have to do something with raster images, I use Picture Publisher. It is a lot simpler and have all the features I have needed so far. IrfanView is absolutely superior in just watching pics wub.gif

But, I like Adobe Illustrator. It is very nice.... mueba.gif
Gint
IrfanView is gret for browsing your images, flipping/rotating, creating thumbs and even web pages with thumbs as in index page. But I can't find any editing tools that would allow arrows and such to be added. I PhotoShop for that when I need to. It's kinda of a pain though, so I don't do it very often. I try to take photos and describe a particular aspect of the photo so that I can avoid drawing arrows in the first place.

I used to have a copy of PaintShop Pro around here, but I don't knwo where anymore.
seanery
Photoshop is the #1 most important program I have. #2 After Effects. #3 Avid Express DV.

Photoshop, while easily the best photo editor out there, does have a learning curve. I've been using it for over 10 years and I still learn new stuff when I hang out with other photoshop guys. We all use the stuff that works for us day-in and day-out sometimes never learning the other 50% of it's capabilities.

For those that don't have it, or aren't familiar with it, I would recomend Paint Shop Pro or ThumbsPlus (PC). For the mac, I'm not really sure what else is out there.

If anyone has images that they need edited/resized....send them to me and I can set them up and either post them or email them to you. Please make sure you put 914club in the subject line. (SBLSean@aol.com)

If you have specific questions PM me and I'll try to answer them.
Part Pricer
Seanery,

I'm in the middle of putting together a new DV system. I'm trying to figure out the best DV editing package/suite. Why did you go with Avid Express DV? Is it really worth twice the cost of Adobe Premiere?

Any opinions or BTDT advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
seanery
I'm an AVID editor, so DV express was a no brainer. I used FCP before I got DV Express. It's nice, but not intuitive.

AVID has new software- Express Pro which is cheaper and much better. AND they offer hardware accelerators/converter in one box called Mojo. $1695 s/w and $1695 mojo. Buy the software first and add the mojo when you have the extra dough.

There are some limitations with express, but if you have after effects you can accomodate just about anything.

My brother uses premiere. I can edit/render/output in less than half the time it takes just for his to render.
tod914
Sean,

If you need any 3d elements for any of your projects,
keep me in mind. Im currently running maya. I have an O2, but plan on getting an X-box in the near future.
McMark
To make arrows in Photoshop,
use the Line tool, which is one of the shapes tools. There is an option to have arrowheads at either the start or the end of the line. More info if that doesn't make sense.
seanery
that works, too.
seanery
tod,

do you have anything cool you could email me?
I'm always looking for good help.

I'm interested in autos, real world looking stuff, logos, etc...
tod914
Sean,

If you PM me your address, I could send you out a reel towards the end of the week. Or email it to me
tod914@yahoo.com

Tod
72Signal914
Actually if you have photoshop 6.0 or 7.0 there is actually a brush that is an arrow. and all you do is hold down the button to create an arrow. If they have a "rubber ducky" brush then they have to have an arrow.
When you look in the brushes hit the arrow pointed right and a list of assorted brushes will be toward the bottom not exactly sure where it would be in the list but browse around for it.
SirAndy
QUOTE(MarkV @ Jun 2 2003, 12:22 AM)
1.How do you draw arrows on a photo in Photoshop?

2. How do you combine a string of photos into one jpg?

confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif

1. select the line drawing tool. click on the "Line Options" tab and select line width etc. and check where you want the Arrowheads (Start, End or Both) ...

2. open all the pictures you want to combine in photoshop. then create a new (empty) pic with the desired size. simply drag&drop the layers of your old pics onto the new pic. it will automattically add those to your new pic as separate layers. resize the new layers as desired. then "Save a Copy" as jpeg ...

PhotoShop is a professional Tool.
it can be complicated at first but mostly because of the vast functionallity.
It is not your typical "let's mess with those digi-photos a bit" crappy tool.

i used to work in the printing industry for years.
if you want to produce something professional, it THE program to use,
otherwise, it is overkill ...

Andy
72Signal914
My roomate asked me how to use it and I told him "No way it'll go way over your head". He wasn't the quickest on his feet either so I didn't bother. I took a class on it in high school and have been tinkering w/ it ever since. It's a great program and I would love to learn more about it than what I aready know. Once you get the basics down you're good but if you want better you'll need other people to teach you or a lot of free time.

I've used 4.0LE, 6.0 and 7.0, It's amazing what 6.0 can do and 7.0 has a few more function (one's I probably haven't found yet).

I did my banner down there w/ photoshop
seanery
I've been there since 2.5 before that I used Aldus Photostyler.
SirAndy
QUOTE(seanery @ Jun 2 2003, 10:30 AM)
I've been there since 2.5 before that I used Aldus Photostyler.

yepp started with PhotoShop 1.0 on the MAC in the 80's ...

Andy
seanery
you were a pioneer. Actually, we were using DOS stuff before Photostyler even. Took a while before we thought windows programs had the "power" of the DOS stuff.

We used Targa 64+'s and RIO, TIPS, TOPAS....
SirAndy
QUOTE(seanery @ Jun 2 2003, 10:35 AM)
Took a while before we thought windows programs had the "power" of the DOS stuff.

hehe, yeah, man Windows 1.0/2.0 were POS's ...
i bought Photoshop and Quark-Express for Win 3.11 after working with them for years on the MAC, and i was like, wtf is this?
they've come a long way.

i used to do tons of machine code stuff for the early PC's (under DOS).
man, we laughed so hard when we saw the first Windows SDK ...

Andy
72Signal914
confused24.gif DOS???? confused24.gif

I'm j/k tongue.gif
I'm not that young, just trying to make you guys feel old. Pretty impressive from where they have come, now let see what they can do for the next 15- 20 yrs. and all this cool stuff now will be WAY outdated.
Bleyseng
Ok, I finally got a round toit, to try this multiple image posting. Did it in Photoshop Elements in 10 minutes.
A Before and After pic of my car
Geoff
SirAndy
clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif
Bleyseng
Here is another
seanery
why does the 'Before' look better than the 'After' ? tongue.gif
Bleyseng
When I took the rubber bumper off there was a lot of hidden rust underneath em. I clean under the rockers but never under the bumpers. Soo, lot of work with me getting as far as priming the rear so I can atleast race the car.
Also the old pic, the light was prefect that day!
Geoff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.