Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The 914 "S"
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Joe Bob
Was talking to a 356/911 restoration shop. The partner mentioned that they picked up a low mileage 914 "S". Now I remember that the "S" designation was an ad exec's pipe dream. It was never sanctioned by HQ. The ads ran in the US only.....

I believe a few ads were published and then everything was pulled.

Am I correct in my memory?

Anyone have any links to the ads? Just want to validate my opinion.
JawjaPorsche
Some early ads for the 1973 914 2.0 called it the "914 S", but that was quashed pretty quickly when the dealers started complaining about it "diluting" their 911S model's appeal.
balljoint
Hmmmm.

There may have been an extensive thread aboot this in the originality forum.

There is way more proof of a Yenko 914 than a 914S.
EdwardBlume
Fact or fiction, a 914 S is a fully optioned 1973 2.0.
EdwardBlume
The same one you could order a la carte in 74-76.
dlkawashima
It's just the name they were going to give the 2-liter fours until they decided to go with the displacement instead. I don't believe it had anything to do with it being fully optioned.
ejm
I have a brochure that includes the "S" model.
stevegm
QUOTE(ejm @ Oct 5 2014, 07:13 PM) *

What year is the brochure for? Would love to see that. It would be great to know what years it was advertised and the specific differences in that car.
SirAndy
QUOTE(stevegm @ Oct 5 2014, 04:20 PM) *
It would be great to know what years it was advertised and the specific differences in that car.

As already explained above, there aren't any differences. The year was 1973 and the then new 2.0L was initially called "S" by a few misguided dealers.
shades.gif
balljoint
Actually the "s" designation was really only utilized if you were purchasing more than one car.

rolleyes.gif
AvalonFal
Buy one here.

AD
mgp4591
QUOTE(balljoint @ Oct 5 2014, 04:57 PM) *

Hmmmm.

There may have been an extensive thread aboot this in the originality forum.

Now that's what we need- a Yenko 914! I've got a Motion 427 914 right next to my oceanfront property in Nevada... shades.gif
Joe Bob
QUOTE(ejm @ Oct 5 2014, 03:13 PM) *

Could you scan it?

Doubtful that the "S" designation would show on a COA......
EdwardBlume
Looks more Porsche copy than local dealer copy, but who knows what the dealer advertising agreements were back then...
Johny Blackstain
I always understood it to be a Porsche advertising campaign that got halted midstream because it offended someone, somewhere. S got replaced w/ 2.0 before any ever left the factory.
stevegm
QUOTE(RobW @ Oct 5 2014, 08:32 PM) *

Looks more Porsche copy than local dealer copy, but who knows what the dealer advertising agreements were back then...

Is there a copyright on it? If so, in what name? That might shed a little light on it.
bandjoey
I have a photo I took at the State Fair of Texas Auto show of a yellow 914 with the advertising license plate showing 914-S. I'll have to get it off another computer and will post later.
dlkawashima
QUOTE(balljoint @ Oct 5 2014, 03:57 PM) *

Share your proof please.

IPB Image
sixnotfour
beerchug.gif
ejm
QUOTE(Joe Bob @ Oct 5 2014, 08:26 PM) *

QUOTE(ejm @ Oct 5 2014, 03:13 PM) *

Could you scan it?

Not easily. At 10" x 14" it's bigger than my scanner. There's no model year noted but the cars pictured are 1973's and the last page has specs that list engines as 1.7 or 2.0 in the "S".
Joe Bob
High rez jpegs, 1/2 and 1/2.....if you would please.
tumamilhem
In 1973 Porsche initially marketed the new /4 2.0L as the 914 S. However, it was never sold as an S (a Porsche salesman might have sold it describing it as an S but it was never officially badged as an S and is not the proper model name). The 914 S is the same thing as the 914 2.0. There is no difference. Porsche decided to go with the badging as 1.7 and 2.0 (1973-1974) then 1.8 and 2.0 (1975). I am guessing, but it is likely they probably dropped the S because the 96 bhp 2.0L 4 cylinder hardly qualified as an "S" in comparison to it's big brother's already established "S".

Here is the original ad in high res:

Click to view attachment
Joe Bob
Porsche salesman? Weren't these sold at the VW dealers?

Back then there was Porsche/Audi and VW dealerships in the US....the European models were sold by P/A.

By 73 the 914/6 was discontinued. Correct?
ejm
QUOTE(Joe Bob @ Oct 5 2014, 09:16 PM) *

High rez jpegs, 1/2 and 1/2.....if you would please.

Sure thing tomorrow
dlkawashima
QUOTE(Joe Bob @ Oct 5 2014, 06:34 PM) *

Back then there was Porsche/Audi and VW dealerships in the US....the European models were sold by P/A.

LOL. You're just messin' around, aren't you?
tumamilhem
QUOTE(Joe Bob @ Oct 5 2014, 09:34 PM) *

The /6 was made from 1970-1972. In America, all 914s were sold at Porsche dealerships. Only in RoW were the /4 sold at VW and the /6 sold at Porsche. That's how its confusing identity crisis began overseas.

The 1.7 and 1.8 are varied VW Type 4 engines. Both 2.0 engines - the /4 and the /6, are Porsche engines. The /4 2.0 was assembled by VW but to Porsche's specs and with different, more sturdy/quality materials. VW couldn't make the engine bigger than 1.8. So Porsche provided the specs for the engine and VW assembled it. It doesn't make it any less Porsche. It was just logistics. The /6 2.0 was taken from the previous year (1969) then discontinued 2.0 flat 6 911 engine. Ergo the 911 of the same year as the /6 was more powerful than the 914/6.
tumamilhem
ALL 914s are S's because they are all Special. wub.gif

huh.gif
Joe Bob
Hey, I have been away 10+ years from 914s......selective memory. At least I remembered the "S" was not sanctioned by the factory.....that's why I asked.

I also know that the 1.8 was 74 and 75. They used the L-Jet and left over 2.0 motors for the one year only 76 912. I'm not a complete idiot.
tumamilhem
^ Correctomundo. smile.gif
Joe Bob
QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Oct 5 2014, 05:49 PM) *

...... they are all Special. wub.gif

huh.gif

That's what they told Clay while buckling on the hockey helmet before the short bus showed up.
SchwarzHorse
It appears the '73 914 "S" must have the appearance group package, which partially consists of chromed bumpers, fog (driving) lights, forged-alloys (Fuchs), center-console with voltmeter, clock, and oil temp gauge, and a 2.0 liter boxer-flat 4 cylinder engine. That's what my car has except for the Fuchs which I replaced with cast Mahle alloys.
smilie_pokal.gif
mgp4591
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Oct 5 2014, 06:52 PM) *

QUOTE(balljoint @ Oct 5 2014, 03:57 PM) *

Share your proof please.

IPB Image

I dunno... looks alot like a Motion stripe to me... confused24.gif
1973 918 S
Here's another reference to the 914 S MODEL
Larmo63
Inside of a '73 dealer brochure…

IPB Image
TargaToy
QUOTE(balljoint @ Oct 5 2014, 07:30 PM) *

Actually the "s" designation was really only utilized if you were purchasing more than one car.

rolleyes.gif

This is the best explanation I've read so far.

lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif
scotty b
Fix a mug of Coffee, and a mug of Jack and Coke and have a long, mind numbing day of reading : hanged.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...851&hl=914s
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(scotty b @ Oct 6 2014, 04:48 AM) *

Fix a mug of Coffee, and a mug of Jack and Coke and have a long, mind numbing day of reading : hanged.gif

cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif

mepstein
QUOTE(scotty b @ Oct 6 2014, 07:48 AM) *

Don't unleash the Tom T chair.gif
scotty b
The S is for Sux, needs a Suby Six

happy11.gif
Spoke
Both brochures mention an oil pressure gauge in the console instead of an oil temperature gauge.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Spoke @ Oct 6 2014, 11:30 AM) *

Both brochures mention an oil pressure gauge in the console instead of an oil temperature gauge.

Yes, I noticed that as well. Pretty sure it was a factory advertising campaign that got nixed mid stream. Again, no 914 ever left the factory w/ an "S" badge on the back.
L8apex
The first brand new car I ever bought was a 1973 2.0. The dealer referred to it as a 914S, the brochures made reference to that, and it was sold to me that way. However, there were no badges or other references to 914S anywhere on the car; just 914 2.0.
partsman
Click to view attachmentI found this somewhere... ( I think Jeff B's site)

Eric
SirAndy
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Oct 6 2014, 08:47 AM) *
Again, no 914 ever left the factory w/ an "S" badge on the back.

chowtime.gif

IPB Image
SirAndy
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Oct 6 2014, 08:47 AM) *
Again, no 914 ever left the factory w/ an "S" badge on the back.

beer.gif

IPB Image
bandjoey
QUOTE(partsman @ Oct 6 2014, 12:22 PM) *

Click to view attachmentI found this somewhere... ( I think Jeff B's site)

Eric

Yep. I took this photo and it's on my garage wall today. Posted I on another "S" thread about a year.
Johny Blackstain
Ok, ok you win Andy- let me rephrase: the factory in Germany where the cars were actually assembled. biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Oct 6 2014, 10:51 AM) *
Ok, ok you win Andy- let me rephrase: the factory in Germany where the cars were actually assembled. biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
Johny Blackstain
I wonder... if you replaced the temp sender w/ a pressure sender instead & swapped out the gauge as well, would it be that simple & work? Or would you have to add wires to the harness? Seems like that & an "S" badge on an appearance group 73 2.0 are all that are needed to confuse the masses biggrin.gif
69telecaster
I've had this since the mid-70's...Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.