Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Window Scratch Removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sgetsiv
Scarlett had a pretty bad scratch on the inside of the passenger window. Deep and about 6" long by 3" wide. You could definitely feel it with you finger nail. It took two tries but I got it polished out using 3M Trizact polishing discs and GT Glass diamond polish.

My first attempt failed because I didn't use enough of the polish - you need a nice thick paste and you gotta keep it moist. I did the entire inside surface of the window since with each finer grit, the area gets a bit larger. I used my Vapor polisher running between 1500 and 3000 rpms - mostly 2500-3000. The 4" discs worked fine but I think 6" would be better.

You gotta keep the polishing pad flat and use a light touch with lots of water. I used a garden hose lightly spraying on one edge. Had a foam pad underneath and a couple rags on the edge getting sprayed so the water flowed evely across the window.

After moving through all 5 grits from coarse to polish, I used the paste and a 6" foam pad to finish it off. Use a ton of paste - don't be shy or you won't get the haze off the glass. Took me about two hours. You don't need water spraying while polishing with paste but you shouldn't let it dry out either - just moist.

I know someone will probably want to see pics. Will take a pic of the set up soon.
JRust
Nicely done! Good to know you can work some of those scratches out
Krieger
Before and after pics would be cool.
Cuda911
How long did it take, approximately, start to finish? (just for the polishing, not including window removal, set-up, etc.)
76-914
What did it do to the optics? happy11.gif
bandjoey
And would this work on a sand pitted windshield? Waiting on pictures biggrin.gif
sgetsiv
I worked on it for about 3 hours the first time around and did not polish out all the haze. I did cut down the scratched area and worked all 5 grits. I did not spend enough time on the very fine grit nor on the polish pad before the final polish with paste stage.

The second time around, I spent about 30 minutes each with very fine and polish pads. It looked pretty evenly dull and hazed at that point so I hit hard with polish for about 20 minutes; it looked better and I knew then that it could be done. I hit it for another 20 minutes with a lot of polish paste.

You can definitely see that it is not optically perfect but for a side window it is absolutely fine. For a front windshield, I would say you would be way better off just replacing the glass. If the pitting is deep, you will distort the glass for sure.
Elliot Cannon
Scarlett? poke.gif av-943.gif
76-914
Just be careful where you park it. A few years back this guy "polished" the canopy on his plane. Went for the proverbial $100 hamburger (flying to a local area airport that has a restaurant) only to return to his interior on fire. Apparently he polished one section a bit too long and it became a magnifying glass. huh.gif
relentless
There was a warning not to polish scratches on anything other than the windshield on the glass scratch remover I purchased. IIRC the glass can shatter easier if it has been worked.
sgetsiv
It has to be kept cool. That's why you keep water flowing over the surface.
Cuda911
Just curious, since I've never searched for one... it is hard to just find a replacement side window?
sgetsiv
Should be easy to find a side window... but will it be perfect? It is so damn easy to scratch the window during install.
Mikey914
Just a heads up. I do stock the kits
http://shop.914rubber.com/Scratch-Magic-Pl...m?categoryId=-1
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.