Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Magazine Ad Archive Updates
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JeffBowlsby
Heads up 914 comrades! I have recently finished completely reworking my online 914 ad archive, adding newly discovered ads (137 total now!) and updating photos with better images. Look on my 914 collectibles website at the link in my signature block below, for the three main 914 ad webpages, each on separate links because there are lots of photos:

VW-Porsche sponsored ads (German-French markets)
Porsche-Audi sponsored ads (USA markets)
Miscellaneous ads (All markets, non-factory sponsors)

Check them out if you are interested and let me know if you know of anything I am missing, or if the data presented is inaccurate or incomplete in any way. If you can help fill in any of the missing information I will give you credit for it on the webpage.

Many Many Many Thanks to Wolfgang (GustlB) for his invaluable help and interest in making these pages. IPB Image

Here are some tidbits that may show up on a future WCC tech quiz, the answers are in the ad archives:

• Which ad compares the 914 to a Cadillac?
• Was a 914 police car ever shown in any 914 ad?
• Were there any three page 914 ads?
• Were there Porsche-Audi dealer-sponsored ads?
• What is the street address for ‘The City Porsche’ 914 ad photo shoot location?
• What connection does Sterling Moss have to the 914 community?
• Porsche-Audi sponsored more ads than VW-Porsche. True or False?
• What color 914 is in two separate ads with the same graphics that advertises the 914s fuel efficiency as both 26 and 29 mpg?
• The ad featuring a 914 with red plaid interior also includes which other famous Porsche?
• Which two ads with the same graphics have both German and English versions?
• The 914 was NOT used to advertise which of the following: Sunglasses, tire chains, batteries, a train company, safety helmets, tires, ski bindings, loudspeakers?

Happy browsing…
Demick
Very nice Jeff. I had no idea there were so many ads.

Unfortunately, the Rennlist server is very slow. And I think your post prompted a bunch of people to go over there and it appears to have brought it to it's knees.......

Also, it looks like your pages with the small images isn't really using thumbnails (small versions of the images). It is loading the full size pictures but displaying them small. This completely defeats the purpose of having the small images there - because anyone who looks at the page has to load the full size image of every image on the page - make sense? If you show them as thumbnails, then the page will load quickly, and only if the person clicks on that item will the full size picture be loaded.

Demick
Part Pricer
IPB Image
Demick's right. The Rennlist server is slow enough already. If you used thumbnails, it would make for a better experience.

It's great that you have that ad showing the Grasshopper next to the other LEs. What a find. IPB Image IPB Image
JeffBowlsby
It's great that you have that ad showing the Grasshopper next to the other LEs.

Did I miss something? Which ad is that..? IPB Image I think you're jivin' me Paul... IPB Image

So I need to not only have the images but a duplicate image the size of an avatar as thimbnails...? Makes sense...but....what a major pain....I am not so sure I like this webpagestuff... IPB Image

The pages load for me ok...but I am running DSL... IPB Image

Oh, and I think I might have a line on a Grasshopper LE...stay tuned... IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
GaroldShaffer
Wow IPB Image , I guess I have a few more ads to collect IPB Image
My plan was to line a wall in the garage with frame 914 ads, looks like I just might need two walls IPB Image
Gint
Fantastic effort Jeff. Thanks.

Are the ads so small that you can't read the text on purpose?
jd74914

Thats what I was wondering. The pages are great IPB Image
markb
Ummmm, Jeff? If I actually read all that information, my head may explode. IPB Image

Well done. IPB Image
type47fan
One of my favorites has always been "The Schuss Porsche." Look at the picture carefully. It appears as if that particular car had been fitted with the optional and rare snow cat track drive!
rick 918-S
IPB Image
VegasRacer
Thanks for all your hard work to preserve this historical archive. IPB Image IPB Image
bondo
QUOTE (bowlsby @ Jan 28 2005, 05:48 PM)

So I need to not only have the images but a duplicate image the size of an avatar as thimbnails...? Makes sense...but....what a major pain....I am not so sure I like this webpagestuff... IPB Image

There is software that will do it for you.. I don't know of any specific ones but I know they exist. Hopefully someone will perk up with something easy to do.

I've always thought your site was awesome IPB Image
Gustl
QUOTE (bowlsby @ Jan 29 2005, 12:04 AM)
Here are some tidbits that may show up on a future WCC tech quiz, ...

hmmm .... I didn't think that the WCC quiz would be that easy IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
Gustl
QUOTE (bondo @ Jan 29 2005, 09:32 AM)
QUOTE (bowlsby @ Jan 28 2005, 05:48 PM)

So I need to not only have the images but a duplicate image the size of an avatar as thimbnails...?  Makes sense...but....what a major pain....I am not so sure I like this webpagestuff... IPB Image

There is software that will do it for you.. I don't know of any specific ones but I know they exist. Hopefully someone will perk up with something easy to do.

I've always thought your site was awesome IPB Image

I use ACDSee from ACD Systems for this. You can easily generate thumbnails from a big number of pictures just by marking all and then define the size you want.
bondo
QUOTE (Gustl B @ Jan 29 2005, 01:40 AM)

I use ACDSee from ACD Systems for this. You can easily generate thumbnails from a big number of pictures just by marking all and then define the size you want.

Well, I meant there are programs that will do all the HTML too. But something that generates thumbnails for you takes out a big chunk of the work.
Gustl
QUOTE (bowlsby @ Jan 29 2005, 12:04 AM)
... and let me know if you know of anything I am missing, or if the data presented is inaccurate or incomplete in any way.  

Hey Jeff, first of all I have to say, that your pages are a really outstanding work!

Due to the fact, that I'm not so familiar to US mag ads, I'm not so sure if my following comment is correct, but I'm pretty sure you'll check it.
Watching the Porsche+Audi page numerous times, I think there's something wrong with the cronological order of some ads. I'm pretty sure that "The Schuss Porsche" and "The Sun Porsche" are earlier than displayed. The cars on 'em have no bumperettes.
markb
It would be extremely cool if the ads were actually thumbnailed to an original sized pic.
JeffBowlsby
Thanks for the great comments everyone, I hope you find these pages fun and useful. I intend to upgrade them with your comments as I can find the time. I own most of the ads and the hunt has been fun for me...I have a few extra ads available if anyone is looking for any for their collections...

They are smaller for a couple reasons. My intent for these 914 ad webpages was to function as merely an index...not as a detailed gallery really. A larger size image even under a clickable link makes loading them substantially more difficult, both for me and you...

there's something wrong with the cronological order of some ads

Yep thats true Wolfgang. I am am waiting to get more specific information on publication order for many of the ads, before reordering them. It is a monumental task to redo the webpages so I need to do it in large chunks. What I need is accurate Month, Year and the publication name each ad apprears in, where they are currently missing or vague. Complicating that, I know that some of the ads appeared in multiple different publications, in different months.

I will look around for software for the thumbnails...I am not a computer guy so I don't know all these cool tricks, its a learning curve for me. I should give it to my teenage son to figure out... IPB Image
Part Pricer
Jeff,

I'm not sure how the Rennlist servers are set up. But, there are some server-side applications that can be set up to handle most of this for you automatically. You would just need to upload the original image and the app generates the thumbnails and sets up the albums for you. You would just need to add the descriptions.

Does your Rennlist account allow you to set up PHP apps? If it does, we could have you set up and running in less than a half-hour.
JeffBowlsby
Does your Rennlist account allow you to set up PHP apps?

Dont know...thats beyond my ability to even know the right questions to ask. All I know is that the Rennlist process to upload files is cumbersome and painfully slow, but its not expensive either and it works. I support Rennlist because they are P-car guys even though it may not be state of the art. I have no experience with other similar ISPs but Rennlists' seems archaic to this ignorant computer user...
Part Pricer
Jeff,

Check your PMs.
Gint
QUOTE (bowlsby Posted on Jan 29 2005 @ 08:46 AM)
Dont know...thats beyond my ability to even know the right questions to ask. All I know is that the Rennlist process to upload files is cumbersome and painfully slow, but its not expensive either and it works.

I know whatchya mean Jeff. JD can also set you up with an ftp account. That would make it substantially easier to upload pics to your web site. I have one, but I need to talk to him about it. Can't get in lately.
Hi_Fi_Guy
I have a few of these ads but no where near all of them. Great job compiling all of this, some of these I have never seen before.

Great work!
machina
well done,

very nice archive, thanks
Gustl
surfing a little around I realized that Jeff has extended his pages once again user posted image

hey Jeff, keep'em growing smilie_pokal.gif

skline
Tech quiz? I think you mean Trivia quiz, what does advertising have to do with how the 914 runs? Lets call apples, apples, and oranges, Oranges. Good job on the page though. I have lots of those. I will go through and see if there are any I have that you dont and forward them to you if I do.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.