Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Harbor Freight 1500 # ATV Floor Jack
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Sixer
I saw this in the flyer, so I checked it out at the store in San Antonio. It is well made and half way light weight. Extends to about 20" with about a 12x14" rubber coated platform. Upper level comes off if needed. It would be a pretty stable platform to work with for engine/trans removal with out having to balance the trans end while lowering jack. I am probably going to get one for me because I do most of my work alone. Price is $189 but with a 20% off coupon brings it down to $150
mgp4591
Bought one and used it less than 10 times before the hydraulic ram let go... buyer beware! dry.gif
914Sixer
How did it work though?
Mike Bellis
I got the same one from Sears.com works good for the tranny. I built a bolt on jig to cradle the tranny.
mapguy
I've pulled many an air cooled engine with the cheaper yellow one from HF. Indispensable tool in my garage. I even considered it when purchasing a stand. I got a C type stand so I could roll the ATV jack into it with the engine on, then lift it in place with a shop crane or a buddy.

One of my favorite things is that the ram is very good letting it down. The foot pedal on mine has a nice long travel and allows for very slow and small movements.

That and a couple scrap 2x4s will stably and reliably pull engines out of most VWs and the 914. My old westy was the best. The whole ass end came off and you didn't even have to put the bus on jack stands.

I'd say buy it if you plan to pull and replace more than 4-6 engines. If not, find a buddy that has one biggrin.gif
mapguy
One other thing - when you pull the engine/tranny from a 914 as a unit, the tranny will hit the handle frame when you only go down a bit. It's not a problem as long as you keep it stable. It could become a big problem if you let it slide off and drop.

This even helps a bit by creating a slight rake on the assembly, making it easier to clear the half shafts and the trunk. Some bailing wire or a ratchet strap can really help keep it in place on there.
KELTY360
I've pulled my 914 engine with one of those and also used it to pull the trans on my old Mercury, plus numerous other jobs. they're very useful.
mapguy
here is the one I use, only mine was build on a yellow paint day in China:

http://www.harborfreight.com/1500-lb-capac...lift-60536.html

It looks like the one you listed above does not have the tranny/handle frame issue. When I just worked on VWs, this wasn't a problem, but something to consider for 914s.
jacksun
hi,

I bought two of the 3 ton low profile floor jacks from HF.

also bought one of the furniture dollies .

having two floor jacks made the engine removal easy, one would have been a

hassel with constant moving of the jack from side to side as you lower and raise

the car during engine removal/installation.

the furniture dolly worked great for the process. easy to move the

engine/trans around the garage. I do not have an engine stand, so

I just used the dolly and the two floor jacks to elevate the engine/trans as high as

the floor jacks would go, and then placed four jack stands under the dolly.

worked for me.

also.. I think that you can not use the 20% coupon on floor jacks.

it is in the small print on the coupon.

randal
914Sixer
I just re-read the coupon, no discount on lots of items INCLUDING floor jacks.
mgp4591
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Oct 6 2014, 08:54 PM) *

Bought one and used it less than 10 times before the hydraulic ram let go... buyer beware! dry.gif

I must have got the bad apple... confused24.gif
DBCooper
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Oct 7 2014, 02:19 PM) *

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Oct 6 2014, 08:54 PM) *

I must have got the bad apple... confused24.gif

I had a hydraulic go bad on a Harbor Freight engine hoist, took it back and they replaced it on the spot. I wasn't even there for an exchange, it was out of warranty so I'd gone in to buy a replacement. That was six or seven years ago and it's been perfect ever since. Try asking them, they were pretty nice about it.

pilothyer
I have used a regular 3 ton Craftsman Jack along with Chris Foley's 914 Engine Jack Plate for Many. Many Engine/Transaxle Removal and Installs. I have never needed an assistant to hold or balance the assembly in any way. Perfect tool for the job. Even has a cutout for a tuna can. It won't allow slipping of the assembly in any direction and is made to assure perfect balance of the assembly with or without muffler attached. I personally wouldn't go any other way.
worn
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Oct 6 2014, 06:42 PM) *

I saw this in the flyer, so I checked it out at the store in San Antonio. It is well made and half way light weight. Extends to about 20" with about a 12x14" rubber coated platform. Upper level comes off if needed. It would be a pretty stable platform to work with for engine/trans removal with out having to balance the trans end while lowering jack. I am probably going to get one for me because I do most of my work alone. Price is $189 but with a 20% off coupon brings it down to $150

I have my3.2 six and transaxle on one right now. I set up the stand so the engine runs sideways. That way you don't run into the handle. I really like mine, and have already test fitted up and down a few times. Oh, how I long to put the engine on the car and lower the jack empty though! I welded up a stand to bolt to the jack and increase height, because my tub is higher up than it would be on jacks.
Mine came from Home Depot at the same cost as the HF item. Harbor Freight being the more reputable of the two firms in my humble opinion.

Good luck.
johnhora
QUOTE(pilothyer @ Oct 7 2014, 02:07 PM) *

I have used a regular 3 ton Craftsman Jack along with Chris Foley's 914 Engine Jack Plate for Many. Many Engine/Transaxle Removal and Installs. I have never needed an assistant to hold or balance the assembly in any way. Perfect tool for the job. Even has a cutout for a tuna can. It won't allow slipping of the assembly in any direction and is made to assure perfect balance of the assembly with or without muffler attached. I personally wouldn't go any other way.

agree.gif

This product is made for exactly what you're wanting to do...I have a similar product for my 6cyl and works perfectly....no extra tools or jacks...easy one man operation.
Java2570
QUOTE(pilothyer @ Oct 7 2014, 06:07 PM) *

That is exactly the setup I've been using my last couple of times & it's been fantastic! beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.