Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need Recomendations for Cross-Country Shippers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stevegm
We are looking at a couple cars in California and need to arrange to have the cars shipped over to the East Coast. Can any one recommend any companies that do this well, and are reasonably priced?

Also, anyone have any really bad stories about their experiences with transporters?
CptTripps
It's a crap shoot. The way that these companies work, you call one depot, and they get bids on the job. I paid $1,100 to get mine from Sacramento to Cleveland. The first company I hired was $700....but they never showed up to get the car.
billh1963
Open or enclosed?

For open shipping I used Golden Key Express 4 or 5 times. All of those cars shipped from California. They own their trucks and I had excellent results with them.

For enclosed I have used Intercity, Horseless Carriage and lately ( 3 or 4 times now) Exotic Car Transport out of Orlando

For close by hauling (East Coast and Midwest) I have had good luck using shippers off u-ship who have single or two car enclosed trailers.
gryphon68
I used AutoStar Transport & Logistics to have '14 shipped from Washington state to Michigan. Thought the price was reasonable and the service good.
theleschyouknow
I used the broker corporate auto transport and car was shipped SoCal to north texas via carrier PHE Express for about $750 iirc open transport arrived on time actually a day early dirty but safe
I agree it's a crapshoot goin the broker route you don't really know who the actual carrier will be til they make an offer you can do some research at that point but it's mostly online reviews so ... grain of salt and all
I also got a recommendation for Tina's Transport260-249-7747 from a guy I trust who owns a classic car dealership and most uses but I think their bid was $1500 and I'm a csob!
glwtt
914Next
Just used Reliable for Minneapolis to Atlanta. They are not cheap....enclosed was $1200. Good service and delivery was within two weeks in my case. I'd use them again but I'm willing to pay a bit more for service and reputation.
stevegm
Thanks. We are getting some quotes. But we are still looking for other possible transporters.
VegasRacer
I was pleased with the price and service from http://www.roadrunnerautotransport.com/
stevegm
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Oct 7 2014, 10:36 PM) *

I was pleased with the price and service from http://www.roadrunnerautotransport.com/

I have two questions that someone might be able to shed some light on:

1. Does anyone see any issues with transporting a 914 on open carrier? i.e., the large ones that carry 8 or 10 cars on a mulit-level semi trailer. As opposed to an enclosed trailer. There is a large difference in cost.

2. I see that there is commonly a preference for top-load. i.e., the car on top. Does anyone know why?
VegasRacer
QUOTE(stevegm @ Oct 7 2014, 07:57 PM) *

I have two questions that someone might be able to shed some light on:

1.) I had a new car shipped so I went enclosed. If the 914 is not a concourse car, I see no real problem with an open carrier. (I tow my 914 on an open trailer.)

2.) If your car is on the bottom, oil and other fluids will leak from the cars on top. You also get more debris, sludge and other road grime if you are on the bottom.
GeorgeRud
Reliable took mine from Chicago to Monterey and back last year. Great, careful people, but not the cheapest. I'd highly recommend them if it's a concurs car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.