Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 turbo to rich
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stoneman18969
Need help 2056 type 4, weber carbs, turbo emolsion tubes, drilled jets 170 maby,200 air correction, 50 idle, scat c45 cam, my problem is too rich at normal driving speeds, down at 2000rpm going up a hill I get a 9 to 10 afr.above on boost is fine, if I take the turbo hats off, no boost, it will clear up, like it cant get air when turbo is hooked up, can I lower idle jets to compensate, or what?
stoneman18969
Where the turbo guys
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(stoneman18969 @ Oct 8 2014, 05:28 AM) *

Where the turbo guys

You can't turbo a 914.... poke.gif

You should switch to EFI. A carb turbo will be difficult to get running efficient.

welcome.png
rtalich
Or try asking the question over on shoptalkforums
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(stoneman18969 @ Oct 8 2014, 05:28 AM) *

Where the turbo guys

I'd love to help you out...but not too familiar with non-f.i. turbo applications. I did a 4 cyl. ( draw through) Turbo system on a 356 speedster with a side draft Mikuni. It ran like a light switch: on or off. The raw fuel also did the compressor seal in at an early age.
If you are running a Blow through system, you are already ahead of the game. Sounds like you need to check all of your vulnerable carb air leak areas, including the throttle shaft, make them airtight.Then find a good Weber carb tuner for jetting. The book "Turbochaging" by Hugh McGuiness is a good reference.
Marty
Mike Bellis
This sounds like a good question for The Samba. Those T1 guys turbo like this all this time.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=397610
PotterPorsche
The pressure of the turbo is Making the mains come on early. Typically the weight of air pushes the mains in a normally aspirated setup. You now have 10-15 psi pushing through the airs
r_towle
Do you have a blow off valve?
Does the condition change if you adjust the blow off valve?
stoneman18969
QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 9 2014, 10:14 AM) *

Do you have a blow off valve?
Does the condition change if you adjust the blow off valve?

I have a blow off, condition doesnt change adjusting , it goes rich after idel, before boost, right were you want to cruise around, loads up runs like poop, mash the peddle broblem solved for a couple miles, it will idle at 14 afr all day,15 on boost, driving 9 to 11 afr
ripper911
QUOTE(stoneman18969 @ Oct 7 2014, 02:03 PM) *

914 turbo too rich

At least it's not a 911 turbo, then you'd have to be rich too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.