Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Targa top question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pneuhyde
I have a 72 body and was going to match it with a 74 targa top, but I found 2 holes in the frame above the windshield that I don't remember in my 74 donor car.
Note: picture shown is without top targa seal in place.
Do I have a problem?
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
914itis
Not sure what those holes are for, but the 72 will not fit a 74.

Here is a guide to help you

Targa top differences
mepstein
Those holes/slots are for roof racks. Has nothing to do with the targa top.
Dave_Darling
The roof will fit, but you'll have to change the seals on the sides of the top to match the style (early/late) of the windows.

Except, I'm not sure if the early seals are still available...

--DD
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 7 2014, 12:23 PM) *

A roof rack attaching to the windshield frame?

The Cap'n
toadman
I think those holes are for an optional ski rack.
914nola
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Oct 7 2014, 02:45 PM) *

The roof will fit, but you'll have to change the seals on the sides of the top to match the style (early/late) of the windows.

Except, I'm not sure if the early seals are still available...

--DD

Early seals are not available, now what do I do. mad.gif
bandjoey
Must be for an S model happy11.gif

See 914Rubber.com. He might help. Or, find the right year top.
mepstein
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 7 2014, 07:14 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 7 2014, 12:23 PM) *

A roof rack attaching to the windshield frame?

The Cap'n

yes, fits the slot in the front and bolts under the targa bar in the back
pneuhyde
Thanks for all the answers. It seems that solving the question about the slots (roof rack mounting holes) has led me down a different path with more tbd's. I do have the original roof (minus the parts I robbed to rebuild this one) that came with the roller, but it is 200 miles from here along with my 74 donor that my current roof came from. I guess it's ROAD TRIP time !! In retrospect - I didn't think the seals were fitting correctly, but was waiting to fit the roll bar pad, latches, and trim before really worrying about it.
jt914-6
QUOTE(toadman @ Oct 7 2014, 06:22 PM) *

I think those holes are for an optional ski rack.

Nope.....The ski rack I had attached to the three holes on the bottom of the targa bar above the engine lid and the other part of the rack attached where the tow hook goes. I have in the past used the three holes in the targa bar for a CB antenna mounting bracket location. Of course, this was back in the '70's when they were popular.
I'm thinking most 914 owners have no idea these threaded holes are there!!! They have black rubber plugs in them.

Click to view attachment

Dave_Darling
There were multiple types of ski rack available, actually. (Not sure of the sources for them, though. Jeff B would probably know.) One mounted to those three holes, and also to the towing eye hole in the bumper. The skis stuck up at an angle.

Another type used the three holes you show behind the driver's head, and the other three behind the passenger's head. The skis went across the back of the roof line.

Another rack, which could be used for skis or other stuff, had tabs that stuck in the holes in the windshield frame, and the rear of the rack bolted to the holes that you show in the Targa bar.

So you are partly correct, but also partly incorrect. smile.gif

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.