Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I'm 2 small steps away from becoming a Republican
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nebreitling
WARNING EXPLICIT LANGUAGE AHEAD -- THIS IS A RANT AND THUS SHOULD NOT BE READ BY ANYONE.

don't get me wrong -- in almost all regards i am as liberal as the next stanford phd candidate, but when those leftist fuckers want to tell me that i can't quietly and nondisruptively work on my legally registered, insured car in the parking lot of my residence that i have paid good money to park in, i have to draw the fucking line.

IT'S A HOBBY CAR, GOD DAMNIT, AND UNLESS I AM DISRUPTING SOMEONE ELSE'S LIFE, RIGHTS OR LIBERTIES, I SHOULD BE ABLE TO FUCKING WORK ON IT.

I am already NOT allowed to wash my own car. now i can't actively work on it without it being considered abandoned? i was just tooling with it yesterday! how in fuck's sake is it abandonded? it's parked right in fucking front of my goddamn overpriced shitty-ass apartment!!!!

i like california, i like the bay area, i like the school that has supported me and my career, but i can do without the "government knows best" bullshit.

i live in an absurd world. IPB Image
jd74914
Thats messed up. It doesn't make any sense IPB Image

i live in an absurd world. bs.gif

* correction, substitute i for we all
Aaron Cox
save the whales! shoot the seals! (cheech and chong)

i know that you know that i know that you know that they know they are fucked you know? IPB Image
Aaron Cox
oh...... you cant race an abandoned car in the 914 cup IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
Howard
Don't feel bad. I used to be a liberal, too. This is political and will get locked down in a hurry, but try this

CA restricts parking or operating vehicles over 6000#gvw in residential areas except for delivery, loading and unloading. If any Expeditions, Suburbans, or heaven forbid Hummers parked in the same lot, file a complaint! IPB Image
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jan 28 2005, 06:29 PM)
save the whales! shoot the seals!

And all this time I thought it was:

Nuke Gay Whales For Christ

I'm sure you probably can't drive a stake in the ground out there without a permit. God I love Tennessee, even with the NASCAR loving rednecks.
jimtab
First of all, it's Save the Whales....collect the whole set! Second of all, you're in Fucking Palo Alto...what do you expect, they ran Brad out, people there "do not stoop to working on anything but they're backhand....but there are parts of cal where it's MOSTLY not so fucking pc etc. Here in Pacifica, you can work on your car, you just can't park it on the street in front of your house without moving it for more than 72 hours, now thats bullshit... I feel your pain, come to the lunch tomorrow and I'll buy you a beer.
redshift
Don't become a republican, become a conservative independant.

I, my good man, am a Constitutionalist, and not represented by my government, federal, state, local, nor otherwise.

It's not the politics you are fighting, it's IDIOCY and INTOLERANCE.

Tell them that, they will have you locked up in a mental ward.. IPB Image

M
nebreitling
QUOTE (redshift @ Jan 28 2005, 06:51 PM)
It's not the politics you are fighting, it's IDIOCY

well that's the fucking truth right there...

according to the letter i got today, they are claiming the right to tow it at will (???WTF???). so i just went by the DPS station and chatted with a couple cops, who seem reasonable and accepted a written statement by that says, essentially, that THE FUCKING CAR IS NOT ABANONDED YOU FUCKING DIPSHITS.

DAAAAAAAMNIT!!!!!!
Rhodes71/914
Couple a years ago I lived in a neighboorhood with very restrictive CC&R's, about 2 inches thick. I was renting a townhouse until we found a house to buy so that was the first strike against me. It had a one car garage but that was filled with stuff so my 67 21 window sat in the driveway.

One of the rear corners was sut out for rust repair, the rag top was pretty raggy, the front windows were cracked, and basically it looked like an unrestored 30+ y/o car.

One day the rental co. called and said the "compliance officer" for the HOA said that I could not have a non running vehicle in the driveway for more than 7 days.

Lucky for me the thing was actually drivable, not that I would go more than 30mph in it. I made it a point once a week to drive by that a-hole's house, reving the engine a few times as I passed his house. Never a word after that (about the bus anyway).

Needless to say I got out of that place as soon as I could.

HOA and Property Nazis IPB Image
Allan
Is this becoming one of those political threads that I came here to avoid? IPB Image
PatW
Nathan:

Isn't there a Conservative (rabble rouser) Think-Tank there on Campus? I'm sure they'd like to hear your story.

Still, give'em hell! and tell us how we can help.. And good advice, don't become a Republician.

Pat
bondo
I don't know if it's democrats, repulicans, or frisbeetarians that do this crap, probably some of each. It's all about property values, and keeping them up. Well I say damn, aren't they high enough already? I mean c'mon! Here we have a county ordinance saying we can only "store" 2 cars, and they have to be out of view of the street. Doesn't matter if it's a brand new Lexus or BMW that you wash every day. So now my nicer looking cars (that are less reliable) are behind the fence, and the car I use (multi-colored 914) is visible from the street.. whatever.
xitspd
My turkey has two RIGHT wings!
SpecialK
Glad I live in an area where derelict vehicles are considered a status symbol. IPB Image
Teknon
God I love real Americans. Not many left. Just too many lefts.

Hey I know 914 Border Patrol..... Tops off somebody standing shotgun. Fkit a mini gun torret.

Ok Mom i'll get off the computer.

IPB Image IPB Image
scotty914
i hate to say it but those who voted the people in to office who then dont like the rules they come up with have no right to complain. i am an idependant who leans to the conservitive side on most but not all issues. now i live in a state very similar to kali, and have several issues with my state government, and local governments due to the laws that have been put in to place.but i am tring to vote them out.

simply put you dont like the laws that are in effect vote somebody in who thinks the same way you do.

btw i dont mean this to be political, just a statement. i did not take any sides at all
SirAndy
QUOTE (Teknon @ Jan 28 2005, 08:15 PM)
God I love real Americans. Not many left. Just too many lefts.
Hey I know 914 Border Patrol..... Tops off somebody standing shotgun. Fkit a mini gun torret.
Ok Mom i'll get off the computer.
IPB Image IPB Image

perfect example why we don't need no stinking politics here anymore ...

how did a notice about working on your car turn into driving around having fun shoting people?
IPB Image Andy
r_towle
I say you drive to another parking lot on another campus, do your work in front of another dorm area...when you are done, drive back home...

If it becomes a real problem, a u store it rental unit can be had for cheap and it gives you a place to work out of the rain.

But I like the idea of moving your shop around at will and work in other peoples parking lots.

Rich
redshift
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jan 29 2005, 12:47 AM)
how did a notice about working on your car turn into driving around having fun shoting people?
IPB Image Andy

How is using a 914 as a border patrol vehicle coming out to be 'having fun shooting people'?

IPB Image

I like the idea.

M
EdwardBlume
Dude, you go to Stanford. Get a BMW and change your name to Biff or Chutley. IPB Image

You know I'm just razzing you....
anthony
QUOTE (nebreitling @ Jan 28 2005, 07:22 PM)
but i can do without the "government knows best" bullshit.

Universities are way worse than any government. LOL! How dare you offend the sensitive sensibilities of the genteel folks living on the Stanford campus with your greasy old Volkswagon.
anthony
Go Bears!
lapuwali
Non-political, totally practical guide to owning too many old cars:

Don't live where the doctors and lawyers live, even if you are a doctor or lawyer, or paid as much as either. These neighborhoods always have uppity, busy-body people who seem to have way too much time on their hands, and feel compelled to make sure everyone else conforms. Lots of "homeowners organizations" and whatnot.

Instead, live where the electricians and plumbers live. Often very nice, safe neighborhoods, without the uppity neighbor factor. You'll almost never get complaints about non-moving cars, or satellite dishes, or what roof you decide to put on your house, or...if there's a homeowner's association at all, they're mostly concerned with what to bring to an local BBQ, not making sure that there are no 30-year-old cars rusting away within sight.

This works no matter what state or city you live in.

In my neighborhood, the guy next door on one side replaced the wheelbearings on his mid-80s diesel Mercedes in the street, as he had no room in the garage. The guy on the other side has been welding a new floor into his Jeep in the driveway. The person across the street hasn't moved their MGB GT in months. Three doors down, a guy has a '40 Ford he polishes the paint off of. Across the street from him is a guy with a pre-war Cadillac. Around the corner is a guy with an MGA coupe and a Morgan Plus 4. Across from him is a Triumph Spitfire that's been motionless for over a year. People regularly wash their cars in their driveways. I've parked cars on the street in front of my house to 2-3 weeks at a time w/o moving it.

Electrician next door, plumber across the street, retired construction contractor at the end of the street, etc. After we moved in here, my wife realized why her mother had always told her: "Forget this doctor/lawyer crap, marry a plumber." I'm in software, so it didn't work, but the principle applies...
Joe Bob
It isn't politics....it's just dickhead wanna be cops that got a job at a University.....no one else will hire them, they get paid dick and they take it out on the students.....same thing here at UCSB......I only drive thru with my Conty vehicle....otherwise I would get puled over in a heartbeat.

Most of the students ride bikes EVERYWHERE...the biggest crime is bike theft...behind rape, drugs, underage booze, B&Es...

Now....back to pissing and moaning about Ahnold.... IPB Image
redshift
That's odd, when I was going to UGA, the most likely crime was underage bike rape.

M
GWN7
Someone actually wrote a letter to you like that and signed their name?

Write them back.

Thank the writer for taking the time to write you.

Tell them it is not often that the criminal ellement in a neibourhood actually takes the time to tell you of their intent to steal your valuable German manufactured sports car.

Inform them, like any law abiding citizen you have taken their letter to the State Police and asked then to look into this matter if and when your valuable German sports car is stolen or damaged while being attempted to be stolen.

Suggest to them that they keep a diary of there daily activities, so that if your valuable German sports car is in fact stolen (or damaged) by someone else that they can prove that they in fact did not steal it.

Suggest that they keep phone logs of all the persons that they talk to by telephone (home, cell and work) and compleat tape recordings of these conversations so that they in fact did not contract with a third party to steal or damage you car.

Suggest that all of their family members keep the same telephone logs and recordings so that they can prove that they did not act as their agent in contracting the third party to steal or damaghe your car.

Suggest that any employees phone records be also kept in the same manner to prove that they were not insturcted to steal or damage your car. Or that they acted on the writer behalf to hire someone to steal or damage your car.

And that by employee you mean anyone that they or there family members do any business with, from the paperboy to the local grocer. You wouldn't want them to not be able to prove that they are not innocent after all.

Suggest that all copys of any facsimile sent by themselves, family members or employees be kept incase your car is damaged or stolen.

Suggest that if they are planning on sleeping (or even taking a nap) that they hire someone to video tape them during those periods, as you wouldn't what them to not have a alibi during those periods.

You could then end this part letter by informing the orginal writer that Stanford is noted as higher learning center in most parts of the world and that you are glad that it has criminals of the writers worth.

You could also throw in that the Constitution of the United States guarentees you the right to the prusuit of happiness. Which occasionally includes your doing minor things to your rare German sports car. And the same Constitution gives you the right to protect your life, liberty and freedom. Which includes personal property like your rare German sports car.

and finally...under Amendments to the Constitution....

Article [X.]
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

(I have no idea what that means,but it sounds cool and will baffle the shit out of anyone but a law professor)

IPB Image
GWN7
Or send this letter....

Dear sirs,

in reguards to your letter dated January 25th, 2005 please see page two....

have page two be a picture of Zois's hairy ass with the words "Kiss It" stamped across
lapuwali
That letter and about $200 will get your car out of impound when they tow it, anyway. Then you can pay a lawyer a substantial sum to sue them to recover the $200. That may stop them from doing it to the next guy, but it doesn't do much for you.

That's the problem with petty bureaucracy. Even when you win, you still lose.
neo914-6
Nathan,

Apt. association rule's suck for car people. They ARE attached to the rental agreements. IPB Image

I've got a ticket (not a warning) for having a for-sale sign on one my mercedes parked right in front of my house. If it was parked in my driveway or parked on the front lawn, they wouldn't bother. This law is supposed to protect the neighborhood's image. Ironically, most of the cars parked on the street were beaters.
SpecialK
QUOTE (mikez @ Jan 28 2005, 09:24 PM)
It isn't politics....it's just dickhead wanna be cops that got a job at a University.....no one else will hire them, they get paid dick and they take it out on the students.....

Mike's got a good point here.

Possibility A:) You just have the misfortune of living in an area where the "rent-a-cops" have nothing better to do with their time than "F" with people doing nothing felonious.....hell, they're probably working on commision IPB Image

Possibility B:) You look just like someone that used to kick their ass in junior high and take their lunch money, and now it's payback time!

Possibility C:) Miles is right.... IPB Image ... and "underage bike rape" is the most likely crime committed on your campus.....which leads you back to possibility 'A'.

At any rate, what's the world coming to if you can't play with your toy...uuhh....workin' on your hobby without someone bitchin' about it.
SirAndy
QUOTE (Special_K @ Jan 29 2005, 01:29 AM)
Miles is right....

oh please ... shouldn't you be sleeping by now ???

IPB Image Andy
SpecialK
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jan 29 2005, 01:31 AM)
QUOTE (Special_K @ Jan 29 2005, 01:29 AM)
Miles is right....

oh please ... shouldn't you be sleeping by now ???

IPB Image Andy

IPB Image

It's 3:31 a.m. here, I just got off work an hour ago IPB Image , and I've just cracked my 3rd Becks.......can't let it go to waste IPB Image
SirAndy
QUOTE (Special_K @ Jan 29 2005, 01:35 AM)
and I've just cracked my 3rd Becks.......

hmmmm, becks .... IPB Image

i'm stuck here with corona!
well, at least it's free and the girls look better every 15 minutes or so ...
IPB Image Andy
SpecialK
Andy, since you're a computer genuis, how do I link a MPEG file I received as an email (friggin' hilarious UK DUI test) so people on the forum can check it out (O.T. of course...gauranteed funny!!). It's waaaay too big to load as an attachment, and I don't have a clue how to direct anyone to the original site.

IPB Image

CRAP! Hijack a thread again!! IPB Image
jandro62
Actually, many apartment and condominium lease agreements include a statement that says you're breaking the lease by performing "major repairs" on your vehicle. My roomates Cougar had the power steering pump in and out atleast 4 times and nobody complained luckily. They can pretty much define "major" any way they want.

Are there also noise restrictions? Usually its the 20 gal air compressor that gets bothered looks from my residential neighbors. That and the throwing knife target in the back yard...

Did you kindly inform these Palo Aalto people that you are in fact performing concours preparation for your (nose held high) porscccche, and how dare they scoff at your piece of automotive history?
Rusty
Politics? Nice to see after being away for a few days. Not. IPB Image

I'm the one who locked it down.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.