Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rotors, Pads and Bears! Oh my!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ezbngreen914
Time to change rotors and pads on my 73 1.7 stock 914. Any recommendations or cautionary tales? Thinking about getting a rebuild kit for the calipers while I'm at it. Anything else I should take care of at the same time. Thanks for any and all input!
stugray
Replace the flex lines as well.
BeatNavy
A couple of thoughts from my experiences:

1. If you rebuild the rear calipers this video from Eric at PMB is an awesome resource: Caliper Rebuild. He's also a great source for brake parts.

2. agree.gif I agree about replacing the flex lines.

3. If you buy the Textar brand brake pads they don't fit without some modification. Pelican notes that in their catalog, but I didn't see it, and nothing annoys me so much as buying a new part that doesn't fit well. Pelican did graciously accept a return and credited me toward the brand that fit without any modification

4. Rebuilding the front calipers can be a little more challenging just because it can be difficult to get the pistons out. There are different suggested methods. I tried to use compressed air method, and while I didn't hurt myself or anyone else in the process I did ruin the caliper and ended up buying rebuilt front calipers from someone else. Cautionary tale, and I can explain more if you'd like. There are other methods to accomplish this, apparently.

5. I like my power bleeder. I can bleed my brakes quickly without dragging a "volunteer" from my family out into garage to stomp the brakes.
Dave_Darling
Note that very few pads have the asymmetric mounting holes that are required by the 914's rear caliper. Fortunately, it only takes a minute's work with a drill to enlarge one hole in each pad so that the retaining pins fit.

--DD
ezbngreen914
Thanks for the input everyone!

It appears that the flex lines have a date stamp on them of 2007 which coralates with the time when the PO pulled it out of storage and recommissioned the car. I still might want to upgrade...

Still open for input... not ordering till tomorrow.
r_towle
Pmb performance has everything you need, and backs it up with lots of free advice.

Good vendor
mepstein
QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 9 2014, 12:50 PM) *

Pmb performance has everything you need, and backs it up with lots of free advice.

Good vendor

agree.gif I've spent many $ there and will continue to do so. Money well spent.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.