Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fun at Sebring this past weekend
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Seabird
Took the 914 up to Sebring this weekend for a track day with NASA. Saturday was a mix of rain and clear skies. First session in the morning it was coming down pretty good (cant quite tell from the video but when you see the stills it was very wet.) After a warm up lap trapped behind a slow moving Miata I was able to get by and let the red mist take over. wacko.gif

link to video

Did not hit anything so no harm no foul.

I got a bunch of other sessions in the afternoon in the rain to practice what to do in low grip situations. Great for learning not so great for fast fun.

Sunday I was able to crank out a 2:48:46 in a spec e30 I had access to. My best lap at Sebring. About 9 secs off the spec e30 track record. I was very happy with the result.

Moved up to HPDE3 so I got to do some laps with Shane (JetsetSurfShop). Did not really get to watch his line too much as some traffic got between us. But will have more opportunities now that we are in the same run group. Always great hanging with you Shane!

Miguel
ThePaintedMan
I love driving in the rain! Looks like a lot of fun Miguel - the good news is it sounds like your car is running well and at least when it's raining it's not running hot!

If I may, it looks like in your spin you got 1, maybe 2 wheels on the painted line on the inside of T1. That's something that's easy to miss as you should be running across it all the time in the dry. But when its wet (and worse at night!) you can't really see it. It's slippery, a lot like the painted S/F line. I try to move over about 1/2 cars length in T1 and 1-2 car lengths in turns 3,4,5, depending on how much standing water is there.

I'll get out there and run with you guys eventually. Someone let me know when the next NASA event is.
Seabird
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Oct 9 2014, 09:48 AM) *

I love driving in the rain! Looks like a lot of fun Miguel - the good news is it sounds like your car is running well and at least when it's raining it's not running hot!

If I may, it looks like in your spin you got 1, maybe 2 wheels on the painted line on the inside of T1. That's something that's easy to miss as you should be running across it all the time in the dry. But when its wet (and worse at night!) you can't really see it. It's slippery, a lot like the painted S/F line. I try to move over about 1/2 cars length in T1 and 1-2 car lengths in turns 3,4,5, depending on how much standing water is there.

I'll get out there and run with you guys eventually. Someone let me know when the next NASA event is.

Thanks George. I had not thought of the painted line will review it in the high def video. I do tend to hug the inside wall quite a bit through 1.

In the rain the car did not break 200 (maybe not even 180). So I did not have issues in the first session. Second session I had my regular mystery issue; hence the e30. (Most of my time on track was with the e30 not the 914.) From the video the 914 did not get as hot as it gotten in the past before the issue developed. I am still wrestling the mystery.

There is one at Daytona at the end of the month. I am not going to make that one and last I spoke with Shane he is out too. Looks like the next NASA event wont be till next year. ::grimace::

Miguel
Jetsetsurfshop
Good hanging with you as always. Nice spin, heres one I did on a dry track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4k3p5ZET9Tc
Seabird
Shane. What s the deal there, the wheel looked straight at the time of spin initiation.
ThePaintedMan
IMHO, that's rear wheel hop/decel because he didn't heel-toe. Only way to solve that is brake sooner or heel-toe. But Shane's been working on that biggrin.gif poke.gif He's an awesome driver... that's just one of those "when I get to it" things. Good news is he kept the clutch in... I always forget that!
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Oct 12 2014, 12:02 PM) *

IMHO, that's rear wheel hop/decel because he didn't heel-toe. Only way to solve that is brake sooner or heel-toe. But Shane's been working on that biggrin.gif poke.gif He's an awesome driver... that's just one of those "when I get to it" things. Good news is he kept the clutch in... I always forget that!

I knew George would get it. I watched the video and wondered how it came around too!
I spent last weekend without looking at that solo timer thing (stuck tape over it) and only worked on rev matching. I still ran a 2.48. Now I need to combined the rev matching with shorter brake zones. I think the red Lotus was tucked in pretty tight. bootyshake.gif
I couldn't catch you in that E30. Looked good out there. You'd look better in the 914.
Hope my dad gave you some useful info. Don't give up on her!!
Seabird
I suspected the clutch release when I watched the video too. I need to work on mine too.

Yeah Keith gave me some great tests to narrow down the problem. I already checked the spark and the induction system is fine.

Looking at fuel starvation next, again. I bought one of those 14point7 loggers reference in another thread to log fuel pressures.

Not giving up on it yet. Despite there being a good deal on a spec e30 right now.

M
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(Seabird @ Oct 12 2014, 04:14 PM) *

I suspected the clutch release when I watched the video too. I need to work on mine too.

Yeah Keith gave me some great tests to narrow down the problem. I already checked the spark and the induction system is fine.

Looking at fuel starvation next, again. I bought one of those 14point7 loggers reference in another thread to log fuel pressures.

Not giving up on it yet. Despite there being a good deal on a spec e30 right now.

M

If you thinking its a carb or linkage problem, we need to get Keith or George to the next event.
Whats a "good deal" on e30?
Seabird
QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Oct 15 2014, 06:40 AM) *

If you thinking its a carb or linkage problem, we need to get Keith or George to the next event.
Whats a "good deal" on e30?

I had a bit of linkage problem when I first switched over to the pulley system. But was a silly error when I installed it. The carbs are very well linked and synced now. Keith had me double check that already.

Under 10k; race car not a streat car. I can't swing it though. Not financially nor mentally.
wndsrfr
QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Oct 12 2014, 03:03 PM) *

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Oct 12 2014, 12:02 PM) *

I knew George would get it. I watched the video and wondered how it came around too!
I spent last weekend without looking at that solo timer thing (stuck tape over it) and only worked on rev matching. I still ran a 2.48. Now I need to combined the rev matching with shorter brake zones. I think the red Lotus was tucked in pretty tight. bootyshake.gif
I couldn't catch you in that E30. Looked good out there. You'd look better in the 914.
Hope my dad gave you some useful info. Don't give up on her!!

I've done that with the old "Money shift" grabbing 1st instead of 3rd....the car went loose before the clutch was all the way released so didn't overspeed the engine....nice.
Seabird
Pics came in from Eric at AWOL today. He takes amazing pictures. Here are a couple of the 914 before the guide dropped.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Jetsetsurfshop
Race prepped /6. driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.