Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Questions About L-Jet AAR
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
motorvated
My '75 1.8 Liter L-Jet Auxiliary Air Regulator has a set screw with a locking nut on it. Is this for some sort of adjustment, or should it just be tightened down. Also, when heat it up I can still blow a little bit of air through it, but I have to put a lot of pressure on it for it to flow that little bit. I have soaked it in mineral spirits overnight, and cycled it a few times, hitting it with PB Blaster in between, and it's about as good as it will get. Does it need to be replaced?

Click to view attachment
Cap'n Krusty
That style never closes all the way. There are graphs somewhere (They're in the big yellow Bosch books, but I no longer have those) that show the proper adjustment. Leave it alone ...

The Cap'n
motorvated
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 11 2014, 12:14 PM) *

That style never closes all the way. There are graphs somewhere (They're in the big yellow Bosch books, but I no longer have those) that show the proper adjustment. Leave it alone ...

The Cap'n

Thanks Cap'n
jim_hoyland
The main thing about the AAR is that they open and close properly ( the part tha moves is called the shade) At ambient temp the hole is more/less open an you can blow air through it. When attached to a 12 volt power source, the window closes, prevent a free-flow of air. I've tested mine several times to see how long it took to close; about a minute and a half. The test is done on the bench.

I adjusted one with that screw; the shade wouldn't close all the way after testing it. At that point, I loosened the screw and moved the shade over a hair so the hole was closed after powering up
motorvated
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Oct 11 2014, 03:36 PM) *

The main thing about the AAR is that they open and close properly ( the part tha moves is called the shade) At ambient temp the hole is more/less open an you can blow air through it. When attached to a 12 volt power source, the window closes, prevent a free-flow of air. I've tested mine several times to see how long it took to close; about a minute and a half. The test is done on the bench.

I adjusted one with that screw; the shade wouldn't close all the way after testing it. At that point, I loosened the screw and moved the shade over a hair so the hole was closed after powering up

I was bench testing it with the 12 volt battery. It wouldn't close at all before I cleaned it. After cleaning it closed almost all the way in about a minute or so, but a little bit of air could still be blown through it. I loosened the screw and retightened it, but that made no difference. Are you saying that I should be able to see the position of the shade by looking into the large hole, and if I loosen the screw I will be able to change its position, and then retighten the screw to hold it in the new position? Sounds right. I'll give it another try.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(motorvated @ Oct 11 2014, 03:07 PM) *

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Oct 11 2014, 03:36 PM) *

I was bench testing it with the 12 volt battery. It wouldn't close at all before I cleaned it. After cleaning it closed almost all the way in about a minute or so, but a little bit of air could still be blown through it. I loosened the screw and retightened it, but that made no difference. Are you saying that I should be able to see the position of the shade by looking into the large hole, and if I loosen the screw I will be able to change its position, and then retighten the screw to hold it in the new position? Sounds right. I'll give it another try.

That sounds about right. You won't get an airtight seal when it's closed enough to work.
If you put the AAR in the fridge or freezer, the shade will open almost all the way. Closing in a minute is good. smile.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.