Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.7 flywheel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cfletch
So iv got this flywheel on the engine I bought and am wondering if it will work for my conversion. any 2cents is welcome. im trying to mate it to a side shift box Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
wndsnd
No you have to change it out for a 914-6 or early 911 flywheel and PP.

John
JStroud
They make an adapter ring gear that will bolt on to that flywheel and work with a side shift tranny, can't think of who sells them off the top of my head though.
Cfletch
early meaning 70-73?
wndsnd
Earlier

Look for 901 102 026 01

wndsnd
I bought one recently and I think the cheapest I found was from partsgeek.com

You might find a used one somewhere..

Cap'n Krusty
Once you have the early (2.0) flywheel, you'll need to re-mark the TDC indicator on the flywheel as the bolt holes on a 2.4-2.7 crank are clocked differently.

The Cap'n
ClayPerrine
You can use a 70/71 911 trans converted to side shifter with that flywheel. I have it in my car. But be warned, you have to use the 2.2 pressure plate, clutch disk and throwout bearing. And the throwout bearing is almost 300.00 new.

But you get to dispose of the clutch pulley in the process.

Mark Henry
About 3 ways to go at this:
1/ that flywheel and an adapter ring with a VW bus 228 PP, pretty sure this is what KEP sells.

2/ early 901 flywheel and a stock 914 PP

3/ Clays method, BTW anyone looking for this I have a good TO bearing that I inspected and repacked for a third of that price.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 11 2014, 10:09 PM) *

You can use a 70/71 911 trans converted to side shifter with that flywheel. I have it in my car. But be warned, you have to use the 2.2 pressure plate, clutch disk and throwout bearing. And the throwout bearing is almost 300.00 new.

But you get to dispose of the clutch pulley in the process.

The release fork design means the fork wears in the cup area, and I bought the last one Porsche had at least a decade ago. I just sold a bare "911" (2.2) trans case for a LOT of money. They go for big bucks because they have a tendency to crack on the top of the case above the diff. Personally, I wouldn't use that route again. BTW, a '72 911 clutch cable works perfectly with that conversion, and a good machinist can convert the 914 tranny to the 911 style release bearing ball. Still wouldn't do it again. 901 flywheel and clutch are a drop in the bucket compared to this.

The Cap'n.
Mark Henry
I have a 2.2 trans in my '67 bug, wish I knew they were worth something. unsure.gif
I cut and welded the RB fork to make it longer and for the geometry of a bend I put in it. I'm using a stock 914 bearing and HD 914 PP, it works good. shades.gif
sixnotfour

Dont forget to flip the ring gear
bigkensteele
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Oct 11 2014, 06:25 PM) *

Earlier

Look for 901 102 026 01

The one I picked up recently is 901.102.205.0R
Cfletch
why wouldnt I be able to use the flywheel and just buy the ring gear for it off of pelican? does it not work with the side shift?
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Cfletch @ Oct 13 2014, 11:08 PM) *

why wouldnt I be able to use the flywheel and just buy the ring gear for it off of pelican? does it not work with the side shift?

The 911 ring gear is just a thin ring gear. alone it won't work

The adapter ring effectively changes your flywheel into a 914/4(or early 911, 914/6) flywheel, then most adapter set ups use the HD bus PP and 228mm disc.
The finished product fits like stock using the stock 914 TO bearing.

This is the set I made for my 3.0
IPB Image
IPB Image
Cfletch
oh sweet. just to be clear my flywheel plus that adapter will make it work? where can i find this adapter kit?
Cfletch
also a dumb question. would it be possible to use the flywheel off my 1.7 or no?
wndsnd
914 flywheels have a different bolt mounting pattern.
wndsnd
914 = 5 bolt
Early 911 and 914-6 = 6 bolt which match the 2.0 - 2.7 crank.
3.0 and higher = 9 bolt

Mark Henry
Although the set-up in my pics works well, my bet is it will cost more than sourcing a early 911-901 flywheel. On my engine it requires a 9 bolt flywheel so this adapter ring set-up is the only choice.
The set-up in my pics requires a different PP and disc.
The early flywheel just uses the stock 914/4 pressure plate (PP) and clutch disc which you probably already have.

The set-up in my pics I made, but KEP (Kennedy Engineered Products) sells one very similar. It's a "kit" you get the adapter ring, PP and the disc, plus a new throw out bearing if needed.
You may not see it on the site, but they have it, they're old school it's best to phone them direct.
http://www.kennedyenginc.com/Pages/default.aspx
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.