Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CV bolts- check 'em!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rjames
I know it's been said before, but periodically check to verify those cv bolts are torqued to spec. I think a lot of folks only check the ones at the tranny side, but the ones at the wheel ends of the half shafts should also be checked. I had a couple that were a few foot pounds shy of spec.
Hank914
QUOTE(rjames @ Oct 12 2014, 10:40 PM) *

I know it's been said before, but periodically check to verify those cv bolts are torqued to spec. I think a lot of folks only check the ones at the tranny side, but the ones at the wheel ends of the half shafts should also be checked. I had a couple that were a few foot pounds shy of spec.

Inquiring minds want to know.... smile.gif
...what is spec for those bolts? confused24.gif

...and what's a good way to estimate torque w/o a torque wrench?

Thanks muchly.

bdstone914
QUOTE(Hank914 @ Oct 12 2014, 11:09 PM) *

QUOTE(rjames @ Oct 12 2014, 10:40 PM) *

Inquiring minds want to know.... smile.gif
...what is spec for those bolts? confused24.gif

...and what's a good way to estimate torque w/o a torque wrench?

Thanks muchly.

32 ft/lbs.
Use a torque wrench. But one, borrow one or many auto parts stores rent them. And use the correct triple square socket you you will strip the head and have a worse problem.
914Sixer
I checked mine 3 weeks ago and found 2 hanging on by a thread.
cary
I give them a little tap with a ball pine hammer to make sure they're fully seated before I try to turn them with a ratchet.
bcheney
You also need to be tidy when installing CV's...Cleanliness is king, no grease of any kind on the thread surfaces and the tops of the boot plates where the bolts and washers are inserted. I brake clean the threads thoroughly and use new Schor washers everytime.
bigkensteele
Bolts that are pre-drilled for safety wire are available on 914rubber.com. If you really, really want them to stay torqued, that is the way to go.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.