Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: best tires
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wackii
anybody know the best tire to get . Should I replace with a lower profile that will still fit original fuchs? any thoughts would be a help Thanks Jeff. I want a sticky tire for mountain roads. Has anyone put a 195/ 50/ 15 on original fuch alloys?
Johny Blackstain
welcome.png
try this link for tire size conversions:

http://www.914world.com/specs/tirecalc.php
stugray
http://www.amazon.com/Goodyear-Eagle-GT-Ra...e/dp/B004QL63NC

You can get the eagle sport in 195
boxsterfan
Wish I knew. I'm looking at a tire replacement next spring in the same size. Got stock 2.0L Fuch's and like the look of how it fills up the wheel well.
messix
there is no 100% right answer to that question.

do you use this a your daily driver?

do you race it?

do you auto cross it?

will you drive it in rain?

will you drive it only in the summer?

will you put a lot of miles of it?

Dave_Darling
A tire is a series of compromises in the shape of a donut.

What are you looking for in a tire? Quiet? Dry grip? Wet grip? Soft ride? Low rolling resistance? Snow grip? Durability?

All of those things are trade-offs. You have to figure out what set of compromises you can live with.

--DD
wackii
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Oct 13 2014, 09:42 PM) *

A tire is a series of compromises in the shape of a donut.

What are you looking for in a tire? Quiet? Dry grip? Wet grip? Soft ride? Low rolling resistance? Snow grip? Durability?

All of those things are trade-offs. You have to figure out what set of compromises you can live with.

--DD

Just bought the car a few months ago. tires that came with the car are like 20 years old. They have to be replaced. Just looking for a good sticky road tire . Won't be driving in the rain, it's not a daily driver. Just wondered if a little lower profile looked good . Thanks for the help
messix
a little shorter tire but still reasonable

pick your price point here isn't a bad tire in the group http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchRe...amp;diameter=15
GeorgeRud
I went with Michelin Pilot Exalto AS in 195/65-15 when I had to make the choice a year ago. Seem to grip fine and have a reasonable ride, as well as looking period correct. Somehow the very low aspect tires don't look right on a 914 or early 911 in my opinion.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Oct 14 2014, 08:36 AM) *

Somehow the very low aspect tires don't look right on a 914 or early 911 in my opinion.

agree.gif
I went with Dunlop SP Sport A2 in 195/65-HR15. Good grip & reasonable ride. I also used the tire calculator here to make sure they were as close as possible to the stock diameter, so as to not screw up my speedometer.
rgolia
I went with spirit vederstiens 185/70 15. Look like the originals and ride great.
Porschef
I'm using Sumitomo 205/65 15's. Said to be the same diameter as the originals. With the exception of slight rubbing on full lock left, they're fine. I'm a cruiser, not an A/Xer... smile.gif
patssle
I can only find super-high grip tires in the 205/50/15 size (extreme/super max summer performance RE-11/Star Spec/G-force rival). Not really the size I want to go with but I want the best grip possible for my /6 conversion on stock Mahles.

Unless there is a 195/65/15 that I'm missing?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.