Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: wiper help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ripper911
I've been having trouble with my wipers lately, and now they've pretty much stopped moving at all. I checked my connections at the switch and they're tight. Looking at the wiper motor I see a blue wire hanging loose, could that be the culprit? Where does the blue wire go? My car s a 74.
bdstone914
QUOTE(ripper911 @ Oct 13 2014, 03:27 PM) *

I've been having trouble with my wipers lately, and now they've pretty much stopped moving at all. I checked my connections at the switch and they're tight. Looking at the wiper motor I see a blue wire hanging loose, could that be the culprit? Where does the blue wire go? My car s a 74.

There are four wires that connect to the wiper motor. The blue with black stripe goes to 53.
Yes all of the wires need to be hooked up. They did not supply any optional wires. chair.gif
ripper911
It looks like there is six wires on it right now, and a blue one hanging nearby.
bdstone914
QUOTE(ripper911 @ Oct 13 2014, 03:39 PM) *

It looks like there is six wires on it right now, and a blue one hanging nearby.

Is there an open connector? You may have to get a mirror below it to see.
ripper911
My brother, a mechanic, said he saw all the wires I was talking about. I'm going out there to remove the airbox to really see what's going on after I eat a burrito.

The loose wire is solid light blue from what i could tell.

I'll know more in a few minutes. I'm hoping for some ideas about why my wipers would work intermittently and then stop. It acts like it wants to move, but they just jump a little bit. If I help them manually they'll go back and forth, but over the past couple of days even that was getting more difficult.
ripper911
Did I mention that iit's going to rain like a MoFo tonight and tomorrow. mad.gif

I've been driving in the rain without my wipers in the usual showers that pop up in the daytime, but I won't be able to drive at night or if it really gets raining in the morning.

Maybe I should go buy some rain-x.
Elliot Cannon
Do NOT cut the blue wire!!! (Or is it the red one)? confused24.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(ripper911 @ Oct 13 2014, 04:00 PM) *

Did I mention that iit's going to rain like a MoFo tonight and tomorrow. mad.gif

I've been driving in the rain without my wipers in the usual showers that pop up in the daytime, but I won't be able to drive at night or if it really gets raining in the morning.

Maybe I should go buy some rain-x.

Rain-X works great. For awhile, then has to be re-applied.
ripper911
OK, well, I went out there and pulled the gas tank out to try to get the fresh air box off and had trouble getting it out. I didn't consider that the cables will probably need to come off.

It got dark on me, and I can't find my manuals, so I'll just worry about it later.

It shouldn't be a relay, since I don't have intermittent wipers.
Motor going bad?
Blue wire?
Who knows?
FourBlades

Fresh air box and its assorted cables are a major pain in the ass to re-install. It is easy to break the bakelite tabs on those parts as well.

I would get a flashlight and a mirror and see what you can do before taking it all apart.

Remember the control cables from the climate controls inside the car connect up to the whole mess too... barf.gif

John
HalfMoon
QUOTE(ripper911 @ Oct 13 2014, 06:53 PM) *

My brother, a mechanic, said he saw all the wires I was talking about. I'm going out there to remove the airbox to really see what's going on after I eat a burrito.

The loose wire is solid light blue from what i could tell.

I'll know more in a few minutes. I'm hoping for some ideas about why my wipers would work intermittently and then stop. It acts like it wants to move, but they just jump a little bit. If I help them manually they'll go back and forth, but over the past couple of days even that was getting more difficult.

Hmmmm.
If you're getting some kind of activity going on I would suspect a column switch. Oddly enough, often this type of behavior is due to a dirty fuse 8. Clean it with emory cloth and it's contacts in the fuse box or if your on the road just rotate the fuse in the contact prongs. You might be suprised.
ripper911
I've been thinking about the switch being bad, sometimes if I jiggle it they'll move just a bit. I don't use my column switch, I've wired in a toggle switch under the fusebox. The switch may have finally gone bad. I'll change it and see.

Funny thing... I switched the fuse which sends power to the switch with another of the same amperage and now my fuel gauge isn't working. It looks like a bad fuse may have been a problem as well, put putting a good one in the spot didn't help the wipers.

I'll try a new switch and fuse, maybe that'll do it.
ripper911
I just got in the car for lunch, switched the fuses back like they were and still no fuel gauge. I guess I knocked some wires messing with the gas tank yesterday.

So that makes me think less about the fuse and more about the switch.
ripper911
It's not the switch...

I just pulled the connectors off of the switch and attached them to each other, no help.

I'll try cleaning the fusebox next.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.