Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: relay for H4s?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ben and Ralph
So I know there are threads about H4s out there but I've gotten mixed answers from different people, so here it goes. Would I need to run separate relays for hella h4s like these
Someone told me that I should play it safe and get relays for them, Someone else said that the power is very close to the stock headlights and the switch should handle it, and a third someone told me to just run a thicker ground wire.
Called Pelican and they are 55/60 watt. If I would need to run new relays, who sells a kit that I could purchase?
Ben and Ralph
QUOTE(Ben and Ralph @ Oct 13 2014, 10:23 PM) *

So I know there are threads about H4s out there but I've gotten mixed answers from different people, so here it goes. Would I need to run separate relays for hella h4s like these
Someone told me that I should play it safe and get relays for them, Someone else said that the power is very close to the stock headlights and the switch should handle it, and a third someone told me to just run a thicker ground wire.
Called Pelican and they are 55/60 watt. If I would need to run new relays, who sells a kit that I could purchase?

Part number PEL-H4-70477 for 66$
Luke M
If I would need to run new relays, who sells a kit that I could purchase?

You can buy all of the parts needed at your local auto parts store.
SirAndy
H4 relays should be readily available from your local FLAPS, at least they were when i bought mine some 10 years ago.

Do *not* run H4 lights without relays!
popcorn[1].gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 14 2014, 12:50 PM) *

H4 relays should be readily available from your local FLAPS, at least they were when i bought mine some 10 years ago.

Do *not* run H4 lights without relays!
popcorn[1].gif

Doesn't the stock circuit already have relays? confused24.gif
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 14 2014, 01:35 PM) *

That's what I thought, so you have to wonder do you remove the original or just add 2 more in line?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 14 2014, 10:35 AM) *

Nope ...
Java2570
I had always heard that the relays and heavy duty wiring were only necessary when using the
higher output bulbs in the H4's. I've had mine in for awhile without any mods on my part with no issues.
Of course, I don't use them much because I don't drive at night often....YMMV.
Ben and Ralph
QUOTE(Java2570 @ Oct 14 2014, 11:52 AM) *

I had always heard that the relays and heavy duty wiring were only necessary when using the
higher output bulbs in the H4's. I've had mine in for awhile without any mods on my part with no issues.
Of course, I don't use them much because I don't drive at night often....YMMV.

Yeah, this car is my daily driver so I better put some relays in. I drive at night almost everyday.
Dave_Darling

It has one--the high/low relay. But all of the power to the relay comes through the ignition switch and I think the light switch also. Asking those switches to carry more power is not a recipe for a long and happy life for them.

You can run H4s without extra relays. I've done so for 20 years. They are low-powered H4 bulbs, though. And they would be brighter, and the other electrical bits would be happier and less stressed, if I ran relays like the ones shown in the diagram above. Running even the lower-powered ones is still quite sub-optimal. I would not try it at all with the higher-powered bulbs.

--DD
michael7810
Has anyone tried Nighthawks? I guess they would benefit from better voltage as other lights but these seem to draw way less juice than OEM or H4s and produce better (?) light.

GE Nighthawk
lonewolfe
QUOTE(phatnine11 @ Oct 14 2014, 07:16 PM) *

I just purchased one of these on Ebay! sunglasses.gif
tnsmike
I am running hella lenses with piaa xtreme white bulbs and have had no problems with stock wiring but I may need to look in to relays.
Phoenix914
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Oct 14 2014, 06:02 PM) *

It has one--the high/low relay. But all of the power to the relay comes through the ignition switch and I think the light switch also. Asking those switches to carry more power is not a recipe for a long and happy life for them.

You can run H4s without extra relays. I've done so for 20 years. They are low-powered H4 bulbs, though. And they would be brighter, and the other electrical bits would be happier and less stressed, if I ran relays like the ones shown in the diagram above. Running even the lower-powered ones is still quite sub-optimal. I would not try it at all with the higher-powered bulbs.

--DD

Dave, your statement about power to the headlight relay coming through the ignition switch got me thinking. My headlights haven't been switching between high and low, and I just realized my ignition switch is bad (electric part). Could the headlight switching problem be related to the ignition switch?

I have a new ignition switch, but haven't installed it yet. Maybe I will by the weekend and the question will be answered anyway.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Phoenix914 @ Oct 16 2014, 06:11 AM) *
My headlights haven't been switching between high and low, and I just realized my ignition switch is bad (electric part). Could the headlight switching problem be related to the ignition switch?

Probably not, if the lights are on but just not switching between high and low. The suspects in that case are the high/low switch in the turn signal stalk, and the high/low relay on top of the fuse panel.

--DD
Phoenix914
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Oct 16 2014, 12:51 PM) *

Probably not, if the lights are on but just not switching between high and low. The suspects in that case are the high/low switch in the turn signal stalk, and the high/low relay on top of the fuse panel.

--DD

Ok. That narrows it down quite a bit. I replaced the relay on the fuse panel, but didn't realize there was also a switch in the turn signal stalk. It's likely my problem is there because of a wiring challenge in the past. I'll make sure there is 12V getting there.

Thank you! biggrin.gif

Also, I asked this question because I am running H4s with no additional relays.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.