Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No engine lid - cool or tacky?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
patssle
After completing my /6 conversion...I really like looking at what months of hard work and lots of $$$ has produced. Been running without an engine lid and I kinda like it!

Okay the real reason is that I'm converting my lid into a GT lid...but I'm not really feeling motivated to finish the job. So for now I'm daily driving without an engine lid.

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
Tacky ... Get the GT lid done and mounted ...
biggrin.gif
Larmo63
agree.gif

It looks like something is missing.
JmuRiz
Tacky, GT lid looks great if you're going for the less is more look.

I have a stock lid and GT lid, I haven't decided which I'll mount once I'm done with my conversion.
Hank914
Blonde or brunette?
Flared or narrow body?
Four lug or five?

Go with what you like...
ChrisFoley
A lotta crap's gonna end up in the engine compartment without the lid in place.
EdwardBlume
Cool. You are the master of what you want!
ripper911
Get a sign that says " look at all of these free engine parts " or " wow, what an engine! " to put in the back window.
AvalonFal
Tacky...tacky...tacky.
patssle
The votes are in...tacky!

I'll finish the GT lid - which was always the plan. Maybe I'll speed it up.
sb914
What about acrylic ? I've been talking with mark( 914 rubber)about trying to possibly make a acrylic deck lid .kinda like Saratoga tops he made. I to would like moter visible . Hope he can pull it off, If anyone can Mikey can!
wndsnd
Those Webers should be quick work biggrin.gif

John
pete000
Only acceptable until the GT lid is finished.

I am in the same boat, but my car is up on jack stands so it isn't a big deal...
patssle
QUOTE(sb914 @ Oct 14 2014, 12:07 PM) *

What about acrylic ? I've been talking with mark( 914 rubber)about trying to possibly make a acrylic deck lid .kinda like Saratoga tops he made. I to would like moter visible . Hope he can pull it off, If anyone can Mikey can!

I thought about making a clear lid as I do have access to the materials and a router...but airflow is too important especially with a /6. A clear lid would need many holes cut to make it a perforated lid.
AndyB
Its not cool its almost as tacky as that Fast and the Furious 914 that keeps making its way back here.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(sb914 @ Oct 14 2014, 01:07 PM) *

These engines run great without air!
sb914
QUOTE(RobW @ Oct 14 2014, 01:42 PM) *

Sorry, forgot to mention my car is a sbc v8 conversion (water cooled). So it would be no different than a hood on a random water cooled moter.
Drums66
......The goods are exposed?(like a cycle!!)
cool(temperature)Tacky looking(not cool!!)
flag.gif bye1.gif (more popcorn!)
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Oct 14 2014, 02:55 PM) *

A lotta crap's gonna end up in the engine compartment without the lid in place.

agree.gif 100%, including unwanted fingers looking for the 5 finger discount. I use a GT lid on my six & it does the job.
Woody
QUOTE(RobW @ Oct 14 2014, 03:42 PM) *

laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.