Full Version: show me yer wing mounts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Woody
beerchug.gif
J P Stein
Tain't mine no mo.
Best suggestion: bring money.
Mugs914
Ricer wing mount purchased on the 'bay. Cheap, kinda heavy and strong.

Not the best solution, but it is safe and will do until I can make something better...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Cheers,

Mike
Woody
I got it mounted last Saturday. Ran the car Sunday at a PCA autocross. Car doesn't turn anymore which means its working. Now I'm going to start building a splitter.

Click to view attachment
Woody
Click to view attachment
Woody
Click to view attachment
J P Stein
That is the same problem Brit has with his rear wing.....it worked too good at speed.....high AX speed, that is.
As you can see in the pic, he then got to work on the front end.
Heater Guy
This is the wing used on the World Challenge Mustangs.Click to view attachment
Woody
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Oct 22 2014, 12:59 PM) *

That is the same problem Brit has with his rear wing.....it worked too good at speed.....high AX speed, that is.
As you can see in the pic, he then got to work on the front end.

I didn't even have to be going that fast to notice a difference, 40mph and it would understeer. It may be a little too much wing but I'm going to build the splitter before I make that determination. I can also ease off the front bar but then I would be compromising my low speed handling.
Jetsetsurfshop
Are you going to make a splitter off your current lower valance? Would love to see some detailed pics of that. I'm currently stuck on selecting a lower valance and I like the one your running. Here's a thread that had some splitter info.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=237802
Oh, car looks great! biggrin.gif
Woody
Yes I am. I will do a detailed build on it. beerchug.gif
Heater Guy
Good material for a splitter is a sheet of oak plywood from Home Depot. It is stiff, strong and light weight. A layer of light weight fiberglass cloth seals it and makes it waterproof.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Woody
I am allowed 6" in front of the bumper with XP so this is going to stick out a bit. I would like to make it easily removable so I can get it on and off the trailer.
Heater Guy
Splitters are difficult to attach under the car. Which makes removing them a real pain. This one is 3". You may think about installing a basic 3" splitter and attaching a removable piece to it to provide the 6" total. Or use blocks for your trailer ramps. Be sure to leave space on the sides in case you want to add dive planes later. If you install a wing, you may need to add more front down force than just the splitter. This wing well unload the front tires in high speed turns. Click to view attachment
Randal
QUOTE(Heater Guy @ Oct 23 2014, 09:48 AM) *

Good material for a splitter is a sheet of oak plywood from Home Depot. It is stiff, strong and light weight. A layer of light weight fiberglass cloth seals it and makes it waterproof.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

How much does that front bumper assembly weigh?

Was thinking about a u bracket of sorts to slide the splitter into, instead of bolting it.
That way you could easily remove the bumper assembly and splitter for loading on to a trailer.
Randal
QUOTE(Randal @ Oct 23 2014, 09:58 PM) *

QUOTE(Heater Guy @ Oct 23 2014, 09:48 AM) *

How much does that front bumper assembly weigh?

Was thinking about a u bracket of sorts to slide the splitter into, instead of bolting it.
That way you could easily remove the bumper assembly and splitter for loading on to a trailer. But it might be easier to just build long 2 x 6 ramp extensions to my existing ramps to load.

Heater Guy
The bumper is light. Not heavy with a lot of resin.
Call Peter at Renspeed and ask him to weigh one (626) 256-8878. He has nice light weight parts and prices are reasonable. But, the freight on big parts is a little pricy.

www.rennspeed.com

His website is kind of info on top of info. Click on the overlaying parts art the bottom and you will find 914 parts.

Seabird
QUOTE(Heater Guy @ Oct 24 2014, 05:37 PM) *

The bumper is light. Not heavy with a lot of resin.
Call Peter at Renspeed and ask him to weigh one (626) 256-8878. He has nice light weight parts and prices are reasonable. But, the freight on big parts is a little pricy.

www.rennspeed.com

His website is kind of info on top of info. Click on the overlaying parts art the bottom and you will find 914 parts.

The website must be down the above link just forwards to a tumbler site, which is funny, but alas no 914 parts.

IPB Image
Jetsetsurfshop
Found it,
rennspd.com
J P Stein
The splitter & mounting object should be STOUT. A cone at 50mph (+/- 10) can (and will ) do a surprising amount of damage....then ya runover what's left of your splitter/bumper. A 1/4 sheet of solid carbon fiber is a good place to start.
There are those who say that you should be able to stand on it...... won't go that far, but better to be way too strong than a little too weak.
Seen busted ones more than once.....also seen tweaked ones that made the grade....the first time.
Joe Ricard
The splitter I made for my car went all the way back to the steering rack cover and blended into it. (XP legal). went out the 6" from the bumper and used struts to hold it up. I could stand on it and the car would go down but the splitter stayed strong without flex. 3 3/4" off the ground static and would just barely clear the ground @ 70 MPH so the down force was pretty significant.

Also now Canaards are legal as are end plates on the front splitter. Holy cow does this add even more Down force. It will make you superman in the cornering speeds of Autocross.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.