Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 ignition switch and column lock removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
altitude411
914-6 ignition switch & steering lock removal help please? Anyone have pics of sheer bolt (stupid sheer bolts) headbang.gif locations or a easy way to disconnect assem. from the dash? Can I just remove the dash with assembly left in place? Also, the head light switch connection... how does it disconnect from the dash? I've searched PP tech forums but can't seem to get my hands on anything relevant for the 6.
altitude411
Ok, here's where I'm at now...do I have to grind off these shear bolts (stupid shear bolts) in order to remove the dash from the car? Stripping for media blast. Are these easily replaced?
rgalla9146
QUOTE(altitude411 @ Oct 14 2014, 10:15 PM) *

Ok, here's where I'm at now...do I have to grind off these shear bolts (stupid shear bolts) in order to remove the dash from the car? Stripping for media blast. Are these easily replaced?

The shear bolts are actually easy to remove.
Even easier with them as exposed as yours are.
Position a small sharp chisel at the perimeter of the shear bolt and tap it counter-clockwise lightly to get it to dig into the bolt.
Just a few hits will loosen it enough that you can then turn it out with a small vise grip.
More difficult is removing the allen bolt that fastens the dead bolt near to the column.
For that cut down the short end of a 90 degree 4mm allen key. Shorten it to about 1/4 inch. You'll have to use this tool while lying on your back with you head towards the pedals.
Loosen the 13mm jam nut then patiently turn the allen bolt a few degrees at a time till you can remove the dead bolt.
I just looked at your picture again and see that the column is already removed.
altitude411
Thank you sir! I greatly appreciate the help. beerchug.gif
Harpo
You can also drill them out with a reverse twist drill running in reverse. Usually they will back right out.

David
altitude411
QUOTE(Harpo @ Oct 15 2014, 03:56 PM) *

You can also drill them out with a reverse twist drill running in reverse. Usually they will back right out.

David

Copy that... Just what I did. Loosened them up w/chisel & hammer then used the easy out to back em out. Thanks guy's!

Here's my under dash #. What does it represent again? ( I think I'm getting a case of "oldtimers" dry.gif Notice the 6 on the dash? confused24.gif I'm pulling the harness then motor & trans. Drop suspension then off to media blaster (plastic bead) I talked w/today. He was restoring a 356. It looked sweet. Wish I had brought the camera. I'll hafta swing by again on Friday to get some pics...
McMark
The number is the chassis number.

Don't know about the 6.
Kraftwerk
The '6' scrawled on dash is so that assembler, lets call him Hans, knows its a 6 and not a 4.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.