Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vintage Racer Group at Watkins Glen October 10-12 2014
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
MikeSpraggi
VRG hosted a vintage race event at Watkins Glen last weekend, 10/10/14. This is an in car video of my second race. Still have a lot to learn, but what fun!! Great group to run with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPnR7F1hgFw

ChrisFoley
Hey Mike,
did you witness the white 914 crash on Saturday?
Any video?
ThePaintedMan
I really enjoy your videos Mike. Simple and to the point.

You also have the right mentality - each race I've seen you run on video, you're slowly building up to what the car car do, rather than diving headlong into it. You're getting faster and more consistent aktion035.gif

The car is really pretty too smile.gif I hope that someday I find myself far enough ahead in life to do some vintage 914 stuff, particularly with a /6. This /4 is already boring me to tears, but it's taught me more than any money could buy.
Jetsetsurfshop
Great video. I like all the comments through out the video. Man do want to get a /6 for vintage racing. Looks good. biggrin.gif
race914
Thanks for posting your video!

MikeSpraggi
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Oct 15 2014, 05:45 AM) *

Hey Mike,
Any video?

Hey Chris, Mike was in Group 3 with the "big boys". I spoke with him after the crash about what happened. I had just come off the track with Group 2 when it happened.

I do know 2 or 3 videos exist from different vantage points.

PM me if you want.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(MikeSpraggi @ Oct 15 2014, 12:12 PM) *

Hey Mike,
Any video?

Hey Chris, Mike was in Group 3 with the "big boys". I spoke with him after the crash about what happened. I had just come off the track with Group 2 when it happened.

PM me if you want.

Oh yeah, Mike did tell me he got bumped up to group 3.
He told me about the crash while he was driving home on Sunday evening, and he said he'll make a copy of his video for me.
If the chassis is salvageable we'll probably do the major metal repairs.
We just fixed the front end damage from an incident at NHMS this summer. icon8.gif

Was Stu Long there with his -4?
MikeSpraggi
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Oct 15 2014, 10:29 AM) *

QUOTE(MikeSpraggi @ Oct 15 2014, 12:12 PM) *

Hey Mike,
Any video?

PM me if you want.

Oh yeah, Mike did tell me he got bumped up to group 3.
He told me about the crash while he was driving home on Sunday evening, and he said he'll make a copy of his video for me.
If the chassis is salvageable we'll probably do the major metal repairs.
We just fixed the front end damage from an incident at NHMS this summer. icon8.gif

Was Stu Long there with his -4?

Mike was really fast, had 8 seconds/lap over me wacko.gif I've got a long way to go...

Yes, Stu was there and in my group. A guy named Gary Hess was there as well with a /4 in my group. Stu and I were parked in the garage almost across from each other. We had a couple of good conversations during the weekend. I have him on one of my other videos.

crash914
hey Mike, we got to get you out on the AX course...November at bowie statium. with Potomac PCA...should be fun.. last one of the season!

MikeSpraggi
QUOTE(crash914 @ Oct 15 2014, 03:13 PM) *

hey Mike, we got to get you out on the AX course...November at bowie statium. with Potomac PCA...should be fun.. last one of the season!

Can't remeber where the cones are .... very intimdating to me. AX seems to happen a lot faster!
ablesnead
Hey ! fix that dash...just kidding...really good video..the lighting going into the boot was perfect...fun to watch
MikeSpraggi
QUOTE(ablesnead @ Oct 15 2014, 04:49 PM) *

Hey ! fix that dash...just kidding...really good video..the lighting going into the boot was perfect...fun to watch

Yea, I plan to detail the inside of the car this off-season. Haven't had time since it was built.
wndsrfr
Mike--great show, really nice to visit the Glen again--definitely my favorite track. Hats off to you for getting out there with VRG--a nice step up from the DE's! Loved the video, well done & thanks for posting! driving.gif

John

mettelman
Hey Mike, Just saw the Watkins Glen video. Good driving! I always like it when people review/critique my videos so I'll give you my 2 cents. You are smart to start cautiously and speed up as your confidence increases (and your tires heat up). I noticed a few things after watching carefully. The Elva does so well on the back straight because he blasts through the esses and carries that momentum all the way to the bus stop. As your confidence grows you will need to stay flat out from turn 2 to the end of the back straight. I know it's a "gut check" but you can't lift going into turn two or anywhere through the esses. That's the only way that Elva was able to get by you so easily up there. I clench my teeth and force myself to stay on the gas.
Also, don't be so anxious to pull out to pass a slower car on the straights. Use their draft for a while to gather momentum and then pull out and pass them like a sling shot.
Thanks for sharing the video, we all learn a lot from watching each other.

Cheers, Ed
MikeSpraggi
QUOTE(mettelman @ Nov 18 2014, 01:06 PM) *

Hey Mike, Just saw the Watkins Glen video. Good driving! I always like it when people review/critique my videos so I'll give you my 2 cents. You are smart to start cautiously and speed up as your confidence increases (and your tires heat up). I noticed a few things after watching carefully. The Elva does so well on the back straight because he blasts through the esses and carries that momentum all the way to the bus stop. As your confidence grows you will need to stay flat out from turn 2 to the end of the back straight. I know it's a "gut check" but you can't lift going into turn two or anywhere through the esses. That's the only way that Elva was able to get by you so easily up there. I clench my teeth and force myself to stay on the gas.
Also, don't be so anxious to pull out to pass a slower car on the straights. Use their draft for a while to gather momentum and then pull out and pass them like a sling shot.
Thanks for sharing the video, we all learn a lot from watching each other.

Cheers, Ed

Hey Ed, good to here from you. I know what you are saying about the esses. Having my engine "refreshed" right now and was told by my "care taker" (he really does take VERY good care of me and my car) that it was amazing I could take right turns at all the way the rear suspension was in need of some serious service. With my green /6, I do just what you describe....foot down to the metal all the way through. Couldn't do it that weekend with the yellow car as I felt no grip whatsoever on right hand turns. There was one point coming on to the front straight where I got much too close to the blue monster than I wanted to. Thanks for the tips...maybe they can help me catch you one day biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.