Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Has anyone used an interior spray paint?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Scott S
Hi All -
Has anyone used any of these interior spray paint products? If so, how do they last?

The steering wheel of my daily driver is going to cr@p all of the sudden. I was just going to throw a leather wheel skin on it, but it is not a standard color, so matching it will be impossible. The exposed ends of the spokes and the center pad (airbag) are all the same weird color. Going with a black cover looks terrible (there is no black in the interior).

Do you think I could spray the whole wheel and have it last?

Thanks -
Scott S
Chris914n6
On surfaces you touch, no. Body oil, lotion, and friction all work against you. On surfaces you never touch, yes. I've got paint on hard plastic trim panels going past a decade.
GaroldShaffer
I have seen a few tan seats that were painted black and still look good over many (6+) years. Not sure what he used, but I can find out. Not to sure how well it would work on a steering wheel.
ThePaintedMan
Never tried in in an automotive application, but my roommate in college and I painted a nasty green leather sofa with WalMart Acrylic poster/craft paint. Lots of folks (even some ladies) sat on that couch as well as dogs, spilled beers, etc. Thing still looked perfect 3 years later. It's worth a shot. I think the brand they carry is called "FolkArt".
Ansbacher
Not sure if they make the color you need, but Krylon "Fusion" spray paint is absolutely fantastic for steering wheels and other hard interior plastics and composites. The black (satin or gloss) is especially good as a match for black interiors. In addition, it lasts and wears for YEARS! Fusion molecularly bonds to the plastic that is painted, so it really never wears off. Only caution, if you use the gloss product, go with multiple VERY LIGHT coats. If you over do it, it can look a bit too shiny and uneven.

Ansbacher

QUOTE(Scott S @ Oct 15 2014, 01:18 PM) *

Hi All -
Has anyone used any of these interior spray paint products? If so, how do they last?

The steering wheel of my daily driver is going to cr@p all of the sudden. I was just going to throw a leather wheel skin on it, but it is not a standard color, so matching it will be impossible. The exposed ends of the spokes and the center pad (airbag) are all the same weird color. Going with a black cover looks terrible (there is no black in the interior).

Do you think I could spray the whole wheel and have it last?

Thanks -
Scott S

76-914
I used the DupliColor interior paint on my carpets, Yes, it is also for carpet. On the can it said if applied on plastic to use in conjunction with another DupliColor primer product which bonds the two.
Wdunster
Look for SEM interior products at a local auto paint suplier. They make good products. Another is Marhyde.
Bill
PPG Industries
7TPorsh
Black will turn purple-ish over time...like window tint does.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.