Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking at making these w/ GB to follow Early licence plate light -(in bumper top)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mikey914
Threw out some options as I'm looking at making these. The numbers are budgetary. If we don't get many takers I may still make but cost will be more. If these are wildly popular, I can and do reduce the cost if possible.
Going to the the lens and rubber for sure, but I'm thinking the electrical has issues too, so maybe the entire assembly.

What's your .02
mepstein
i'll take the complete assembly for 2 cars. thanks,mark
bdstone914
Yes they are often corroded and the ground terminal breaks. Can't see much point in offering lens only. Buyer would have to drill out old rivets and install new lens without cracking to save a few bucks. These should he very popular. I can't find good used ones and quickly sold the remaining decent ones I had.
Funny think is when they were available a few years ago they were only $14 each.
rick 918-S
Yes two cars
914Sixer
AA has reproduced them. They are selling for $59 for complete assembly.
bdstone914
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Oct 15 2014, 06:55 PM) *

Anybody seen one to check the quality?
I would still buy one from Mark even if it cost more.
barebrad
I'd be in for 2 cars as well!
bigkensteele
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Oct 15 2014, 05:55 PM) *

I have a set of AA reproduced Euro taillight lenses on my car, and if Mark produced a set that actually fit, I would gladly replace them.
walterolin
One car.

And ditto on the taillight lens. Looked good in the box, but didn't fit well and the glue joints were weak.
Mikey914
QUOTE(walterolin @ Oct 15 2014, 08:17 PM) *

One car.

And ditto on the taillight lens. Looked good in the box, but didn't fit well and the glue joints were weak.

What was glued?
The metal was riveted, the rubber and lens should each be one piece.
pilothyer
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 15 2014, 11:11 PM) *

QUOTE(walterolin @ Oct 15 2014, 08:17 PM) *

One car.

What was glued?
The metal was riveted, the rubber and lens should each be one piece.

He was referring to the euro taillight lenses offered in a group buy by GH some time back.
Mikey914
Got ya.
Yes I did make the molds to do them. I too had issues with the gluing. I may have some light at the end of the tunnel with them, as I did find a bonding agent the shows promise. I just need to make more up and try it. May be a few weeks, but as I get more time I'll be able to do so.
-mark
jeeperjohn56
Mark, I'm in for two cars, let me know when to send payment. John
clapeza
I'm in for a set of 2, for my '70.

Chester
AndyB
2 cars worth

Thanks
76-914
Mark, Bruce made a good point. These items are notorious for problems with the electrical. Mini spades that break and electrical shorts out the kazoo. Maybe they could be produced with a 6" insulated pig tail and a pair of bullet crimp connectors (to be connected in the enclosed trunk area) included with each lens assm.???
Johny Blackstain
Options, I like options to be available. Owning 2 cars, one in immaculate shape & one in more typical shape I like having options. biggrin.gif
sbsix
Mark, I'm in for one car.
Jonathan Livesay
I would take 2 sets.

Edit: To answer the original question, making them complete with electrical would be the way to go.
Mikey914
QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 16 2014, 08:29 AM) *

Mark, Bruce made a good point. These items are notorious for problems with the electrical. Mini spades that break and electrical shorts out the kazoo. Maybe they could be produced with a 6" insulated pig tail and a pair of bullet crimp connectors (to be connected in the enclosed trunk area) included with each lens assm.???

I think there is some opportunity to improve the design. Use of stainless may be part of it. Making the connection out the back of the rubber section may be improved also.
Also, an option for an internal with LED would be good, as they are not affected by vibration, and a cool white looks close to a regular bulb.
Rleog
The electrical mini spades on mine are corroded/gone. I'd be in for a set of the complete units. Hope you go that route.
Kansas 914
I would be in for 2 sets.
Mike Bellis
I need 2 assemblies.
narino
In for a set for one car.
Niklas
Your parts are so good!

I need parts for at least 2 cars.
no1uno
I'd be in for a couple of sets
Sleepin
I'd be in for a set.

If Mark's parts were twice as much as AA's...I would buy from Mark.
bigkensteele
1 set for me, please.
Harpo
Can these be also mounted in to your fiberglass bumper tops? Could someone post a photo. I have back dated my bumpers with fiberglass bumper tops but I currently have no license plate lights.

Thanks

David
Steve
QUOTE(Harpo @ Oct 17 2014, 05:25 PM) *

Can these be also mounted in to your fiberglass bumper tops? Could someone post a photo. I have back dated my bumpers with fiberglass bumper tops but I currently have no license plate lights.

Thanks

David

They make lighted license plate franes. That's what I used.
Bossman
I would be in for a set of the complete assemblies. Ditto on the pigtail into the trunk.
Mikey914
I will have the lens only in about 8 days. Pulled the 1st one. It has a few small bubbles in the outer edge but looks good.
dw914six
I will take 2 sets.

Thanks
brant
Let me know if these happen. Nice product
Mikey914
Just showing progress.
hndyhrr
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Oct 17 2014, 08:41 AM) *

I'd be in for a set.

If Mark's parts were twice as much as AA's...I would buy from Mark.

agree.gif
Harpo
Any chance these will be LEDs?
mharmon
I'm in for 2 sets
Mikey914
QUOTE(Harpo @ Nov 15 2014, 04:59 AM) *

Any chance these will be LEDs?

Yes that will be an option.
SKL1
I'd go for two sets as well.
Mikey914
Got the rubber done, it was kind of a bit$h, but the Guts are left.

We are looking at 2 options.
1- OEM style with bayonet bulb
2-LED with choice of warm white (like the bulb), or the cool white (more LED looking white light)

Either way the cost for the internals will be slightly more than we expected. The OEM style will be $2.50 more than anticipated, and the LED will be $5, but will include the bulb.

As a further improvement we are looking at sealing the LED version and providing with just the 2 wires protruding to splice in. This will eliminate the issue with Vibration and corrosion should be minimized.

This is where we are at so far.

Note that in picture 4 the holes do not line up. We may have to make adaptor plates. I'm starting another thread to see what is know about these. I've only had one early car and it was some time ago, so I need some feedback on this.
mepstein
I'm still in. 1 reg set, 1 led set. thanks!
pgollender
Mark, I was just re-conditioning my old ones on my '70, what a PIA !' Will need complete set for my '73. Why didn't you post last Friday, before I began ? hissyfit.gif My time = $200/hour. Spent 1.25 hours... Coulda saved $150 of frustration.
Mikey914
Paul, any pics would be appreciated, I'm trying to solve the mystery of holes. Do yours line up?
mepstein
QUOTE(pgollender @ Feb 11 2015, 11:13 PM) *

Mark, I was just re-conditioning my old ones on my '70, what a PIA !' Will need complete set for my '73. Why didn't you post last Friday, before I began ? hissyfit.gif My time = $200/hour. Spent 1.25 hours... Coulda saved $150 of frustration.

Call me next time you need some work on your car. I only charge $100/hour so I can possibly save you thousands next time you have a big job. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
pgollender
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 11 2015, 08:23 PM) *

Paul, any pics would be appreciated, I'm trying to solve the mystery of holes. Do yours line up?

Mark the old lens dropped right into the old stock 1970 bumper holes, 65mm on center lens and bumper holes. Looked at the '73 and same measurements. The back of the electric chassis had some room to position within the 'receptacle' cavity in each of the '70 and '73
Click to view attachment I think because the old bumpers had that thin sheet metal plate you can put the screws in just about anywhere....if you push it a little. My '73 had two sets of holes on the left side, both were 65mm apart, but offset from each other about 2.5mm. I think the previous owner or mechanic just decided to punch in an extra set into fresh metal.
Dunno if that helps you or not confused24.gif
pgollender
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 11 2015, 08:36 PM) *

QUOTE(pgollender @ Feb 11 2015, 11:13 PM) *

Call me next time you need some work on your car. I only charge $100/hour so I can possibly save you thousands next time you have a big job. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Pennsylvania labor @$100/hour smile.gif = California labor @$200/hour sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.