Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Suggestions: headers or triad
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ndfrigi
Hi teeners! Can I ask any suggestion(s) if I use the headers i have now or triad is better for a 1.8 F.I?

Thanks again and God bless!

Click to view attachment
messix
none of the exhaust systems that are meant for the stock type heat exchangers [the pipes that the piece you have pictured will replace] will fit the header you show.

you would just need to have a muffler installed on the collector extension on that system.
Dave_Darling
Which Triad system are you talking about? I think they might make a full tuned-header exhaust, in which case that would be roughly equivalent to what you have.

Their most popular 914 part that I know of is a direct replacement for the stock muffler. It won't even bolt up to the exhaust you have there--it needs stock heat exchangers to bolt to.

If you're looking for as much power as you can squeeze out of the 1.8, the exhaust you show will help. The Tangerine Racing header would likely help a little more, but it's gonna cost a whole lot more than "something you already have". I'd just get a flow-through type muffler and set it up to bolt on to your current header and be done with it.

Unless I needed heat, that is. Then I'd hunt down some pre-75 heat exchangers and get a muffler that fit them properly.

--DD
EdwardBlume
Bolt them on and enjoy!

It's a little known fact but Rich at HPH raced 1.8s as a racing platform for some strategic reason. If you are looking to soup up your 1.8 you might want to give him a call.
ndfrigi
Thanks for all the comments/suggestions fellow teeners!
Currently my 75 1.8 FI has already early heat exchanger with a loud muffler installed.

On the picture above (European Racing Headers), I was thinking if I should install this and offcourse add a muffler for the set up. I believed Elliot Cannon had use this before. Or should I just sell this headers and order the triad muffler with dual exit? If I can order the triad for a 1.8 engine.

Thanks again!
ThePaintedMan
You can order a Triad in any form that you want really. If you decide to go that route, I'd be happy to buy those headers from you for a reasonable price smile.gif
ndfrigi
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Oct 16 2014, 05:04 PM) *

Which Triad system are you talking about? I think they might make a full tuned-header exhaust, in which case that would be roughly equivalent to what you have.

Their most popular 914 part that I know of is a direct replacement for the stock muffler. It won't even bolt up to the exhaust you have there--it needs stock heat exchangers to bolt to.

If you're looking for as much power as you can squeeze out of the 1.8, the exhaust you show will help. The Tangerine Racing header would likely help a little more, but it's gonna cost a whole lot more than "something you already have". I'd just get a flow-through type muffler and set it up to bolt on to your current header and be done with it.

Unless I needed heat, that is. Then I'd hunt down some pre-75 heat exchangers and get a muffler that fit them properly.

--DD

Thanks again Dave!
ndfrigi
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Oct 16 2014, 05:37 PM) *

You can order a Triad in any form that you want really. If you decide to go that route, I'd be happy to buy those headers from you for a reasonable price smile.gif

I will let you know George in case I will not use it. Thanks!
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(RobW @ Oct 16 2014, 05:10 PM) *

It's a little known fact but Rich at HPH raced 1.8s as a racing platform for some strategic reason.

Class rules. The 1.8 was at the limit for some specific class in the SCCA--I think E Production or F Production. The engines were very much not stock, though. They didn't make much power below 5000 RPM, and red-lined at something like 7000. Mandated 40mm carbs, no FI allowed at all, headers were required to be at all competitive, and so on. They also used the "sewer pipe" cooling duct from the headlight buckets to the fan inlet, because ducting from the headlights was allwed by the rules. They ran fans that had most or in some cases all of the fins removed, and relied primarily on ram-air for cooling.

They made anywhere from 150 HP to 195 HP, and their lifespan was measured in hours. (In the less-aggressive cases, they could run a whole season before needing to be refreshed.)

Not stock or stockish motors, and very unsuited for driving on the street.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.