Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: That eBay 914...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lawrence
I've emailed the seller about the car. Seems that he's an "agent" of the owner. I asked about rust in the trunks and under the rockers. Also asked for pictures of the carpeted gas tank cover. It's been several days of back'n'forth, with no pictures.

Yesterday, I got this reply forwarded from the agent:

"Lawrence,

Thank you for your interest in my 914. I was going to tell you how impossible it would be for this car to have any rust. You see, except for once, it's never been driven in the rain and the only way this car has ever gotten wet has been when it was washed. So I went out to the garage to lift out all the carpeting and padding and take pictures to send to you. The front is completely rust free. But when I lifted the rear trunk padding, to my horror I found the beginnings of some rust in the middle of the rear trunk along the seam! I cannot believe it! I am taking it to get it repaired immediately. I am sorry, and in another way I must thank you because I never would've checked under there if not for attempting to provide proof to you of no rust. Thankfully, it was discovered early and the fix will be straight forward. If you would like, I'll keep you up to date on the repair.

Thanks again for your interest and your help. Take care and I'll send news soon.

Best regards,
Ian Moss"

Taking the car to get rust repaired in the middle of an auction?

DANGER, WILL ROBINSON!!

-Rusty
Brad Roberts
I'm carefully scripting a future BBS post about Ebay 914's.

This post will make your HEAD spin.. it involves a 10k dollar 9146 that had a PPI done on it..

Look for a post in the near future...called "Fuck EBAY cars" or something like that.

The owner of this car was taken to the cleaners by a seller and "his" repair shop.

"Days of our Lives"

B
Lawrence
Well, I was mostly curious about the carpet over the fuel tank.

From the pictures it appears to be done in two sections... probably mounted on some pad or perhaps fiberboard.

But the rust reply just about made me jump out of my skin. ohmy.gif

Screwed over, even with a PPI?? Whoa...
Mike D.
Whats "PPI"?

Can the Fuck Ebay 914 article wait two weeks, I was going to ebay my '74 (in avitar) to get a down payment for a new "Family Sedan" - biggrin.gif

-Mike D
Mueller
Pre Purchase Inspection

The idea is that a reputable shop looks at the car for fee and basicly gives you their professional opinion on the car...

1) good deal
2) bad deal: run

or

3) these things need attention, work out a better price or negotiate with the seller

Most people do not do a PPI on 914's....it all depends on the car and price...I didn't do a PPI on my C2 even tho it was close to $30K...I felt I did enough research on the car and I was willing to deal with anything minor that popped up after purchase...luckly for me, the seller was pretty honest, but I did find out the passanger door had been repainted (poorly which I didn't notice until pointed out to me)

In the past I had a PPI done on a '87 911 I was looking at...the shop pointed out too many little problems that I could not afford to fix and the seller was not willing to fix nor was he willing to drop the price...I walked away..... it cost me $75, but I feel that is much cheaper than had I bough the car.
Mike D.
OK - Yes I have occationally done this. Should have done it on the 944, didn't, it's been down more than up sense I've owned it and has costs me about $2500. during that time.

Damn ar15.gif 944

-Mike D.
vortrex
getting rust fixed mid auction means getting a can of yellow krylon, no sanding even.
914werke
$75! ohmy.gif
You got off cheap. I recently replaced the family sedan after a serious crash X-mass day. I sourced its replacement, a 95.5 Audi S6 Avant from a private party in Main. Having owned the sedan ver. just prior I was pretty confident I knew what to look for, and spent considerable time on the phone & the net with the guy. At the end of the day had a PPI done in a dealer ..over there, which cost $375!!!!
The car ended up being probably 7.5-8 out of 10 not the 9 it was reported to be.
Note to list =the Northern E. Coast states use a LOT of salt on the roads in winter. finger.gif
Lawrence
getting rust fixed mid auction means getting a can of yellow krylon, no sanding even.

Ewwwww...

The implication in the email was that the car was headed to a body shop.

Previous email sent to the "agent" revealed that they never did expect to really sell the car on eBay. However, he would be willing to pull the car from auction, "for a real enthusiast like you (me) who had the right offer."

-Rusty
vortrex
it's at $11.2k now and reserve is still not met. I have a feeling someone's going to be unhappy with their purchase. what in the heck are people bidding on here???
vortrex
wonder if the owner would sell the plans for the log cabin interior? I could purchase those, a lot of lumber from home depot, get an running tab at maaco, and buy lots of worn tires from discount tire cheap. oh yeah, don't forget armor all by the crate. I could turn the creations loose on ebay and double my yearly salary.
Lawrence
Yeah, but could you live with yourself?
Mueller
vortrex Posted on Jun 2 2003, 02:04 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
what in the heck are people bidding on here???  

Some people are like birds....they see a shiny object and have got to have it not knowing what the are about to digest smile.gif
vortrex
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Jun 2 2003, 02:12 PM)
Yeah, but could you live with yourself?

no, I couldn't live with myself actually. that's the only fault in a perfect plan.
Mueller
I don't think the seller is trying to hose anyone on this car...it's just a case of;

"the reciepts add up to XXXXX.XX and it's a Porsche"

eBay is not at fault nor is it a bad place to sell or buy...

it's the sellers and the buyers responsibility to know what is being sold
Mike D.
So I just went on ebay and looked at the car in question for the first time.
whoa! this is like the oposite of side impact protection.

"Sorry ma'am, your husbands car accident wasn't that bad, But he died of Splinters!"

-Mike D.
vortrex
LOL!

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Qarl
However, he would be willing to pull the car from auction, "for a real enthusiast like you (me) who had the right offer."

Sounds like a recent long lost 916 that was for sale a month ago!

laugh.gif
Aaron Cox
whatever became of that 916 cars
Qarl
Okay... some people must be on dope. I know of original sixes selling for what this car is at... and the reserve isn't met.

$13K+ and 2-days left. laugh.gif Lucky seller!

Note to self: stick Porsche badges on every visable part of the car and immediately double apparent worth of my car!

Note to self: Bill it is a "show car", but don't show it!

Note to self: Build my interior our of Lincon Logs. Immediately double value of vehicle

Note to self: Add lots of useless switches and blinking lights to increase value of car! (Make sure they are installed crooked)
Qarl
The Gemini Blue 916! I bought it, silly.

NOT!

I think some Italian or French guy bought it!
Brad Roberts
I dont belive the bidding. I'm betting he has a buddy bidding it up. Check the high bidders location.

B
DrifterJay
all I can say is what a freaking joke...
would be funny if the buyer comes onto this forum all stoked and bragging about his lucky find laugh.gif
Jared
Qarl
Crap $14K and reserver not met.

Idiots, tell you. A bunch of freekin idiots!

laugh.gif
nebreitling
i hate to join in on the lincoln-log hating but this auction is really incredible. $13k+!?

From the listing:

"The restoration also included a flight to Germany to secure the rare Recaro sport seats you see pictured. That flight was specifically for these seats!"

I'm sorry, there are many great reasons to fly to germany. This seat is not one of them.

"Even the interior light works!"

pray.gif
seanery
I think those are the GTI optional Recaro seats.
jfort
I wouldn't blame ebay for a bad purchase. As a previous post states, it's up to the buyer and seller, mostly the buyer, to reach an understanding out what is being exchanged. I had a great experience buying my 9146 (albeit post-ebay) from Jim Chambers. I asked questions. He provided answers and pictures to back them up. I knew what I was buying.
Lawrence
I got an email yesterday from the "broker". They finally got around to sending those pictures of the trunks. They neglected sending pics of the gas tank cover. sad.gif

He says he's got a buyer in the San Diego (?) willing to pay 15k, and they're probably gonna yank it from eBay soon.

So, if you want it.. bid it up now!! lol2.gif

-Rusty
Ferg
cool.gif
Speaking as someone who buys and sells cars on a pretty regular basis, "Gotta love Ebay!!"
Just goes to show the premium a well crafted ebay page will bring over just some pic's thrown on the page. Good for the seller, and good for our car values!! Ferg.
Scott S
Those seats were readily available in the US. Look at any 80's Recaro ad. There was a silver/grey version of that fabric that I wanted really bad for my GTI. Recaro even sold extra yardage to get the back seat done. Tastes differ, and thats fine. But I think this guy is trying to pull a fast one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.