Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone that's done the odo fix
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
john77
Just took my odo apart and crushed the metal gear out of round with a vise grip. Now that I've put the odo back together if I spin the plastic gear that rotates the metal arm with the number wheels on it only moves a certain amount forward and then jams.

Should it move completely freely or is this right? I obviously don't want to fit it back in my car and strip the plastic gears if it's wrong.

Thanks
John
bandjoey
Jump over to pelican parts. They have a tech article on odo repair.
john77
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Oct 16 2014, 10:06 PM) *

Jump over to pelican parts. They have a tech article on odo repair.

Thanks. I've actually read it, and done it. smile.gif I'm just wondering if I've done it right...
Bob L.
I had a similar problem when I did mine. The wheels weren't lined up right. I ended up resetting it to 0 miles an it was OK.
Dave_Darling
Jamming is not right. You may be able to get it to move smoothly by re-fiddling the assembly, as I assume Bob did. But if you really made the OD of the pot-metal gear an oblong, you may be hosed. For my repair, I actually used some pliers with sharp teeth to rough up the shaft where it goes through the gear. Others have used a pin punch to peen the gear around the opening, only distorting the opening.

I hope you can get it working again...

--DD
john77
Thanks guys.

I didn't put that much pressure on it, and the shaft went back through it (with a little encouragement) so hopefully it's not toast. We'll see.

I'll take it apart tonight and see if fiddling with the wheels helps.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.