Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sacrifice a -4?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fixer34
Found this car on Craigslist. It's still available. Same color as my -6. Is it worth buying to 'rob'/swap parts from to improve the condition of the 6? Obviously the engine and most of the running gear would be left intact, I would mainly be interested in bumpers, front hood, interior, and the myriad of small pieces. Could I get half the price back selling the leftovers?

http://boulder.craigslist.org/cto/4649104862.html

Or should I leave it be for someone else to buy and enjoy?

(It's about a thousand miles away, so driving/trailering it home would be no small undertaking)
PanelBilly
Don't put used parts on your /6 unless you can't get them any other way. Better investment to refurb the original parts
boxsterfan
Looks like an OK running /4. Please don't tear it apart.
bdstone914
QUOTE(fixer34 @ Oct 17 2014, 03:33 PM) *

Found this car on Craigslist. It's still available. Same color as my -6. Is it worth buying to 'rob'/swap parts from to improve the condition of the 6? Obviously the engine and most of the running gear would be left intact, I would mainly be interested in bumpers, front hood, interior, and the myriad of small pieces. Could I get half the price back selling the leftovers?

http://boulder.craigslist.org/cto/4649104862.html

Or should I leave it be for someone else to buy and enjoy?

(It's about a thousand miles away, so driving/trailering it home would be no small undertaking)

The rear bumper is not the correct shape corner for a 1970. It has a side shift trans. You could probably get more than half the asking price for the engine and trans. Still seams like a lot of money to get a hood, interior and little parts.

ThePaintedMan
agree.gif

That's too high (and nice) for a parts car, but looks to be a great price for a solid driver! Depending on the rust of course....
rnellums
I've seen the car in person and the hell hole rot is pretty bad on this car. That said the engine felt pretty strong and it shifted well!
carr914
It all depends.

You certainly could come out ahead if the Parts you want are in nice shape. The asking price is $3200, so maybe you get it for $2500. You take $1500 worth of parts (what you would have paid to buy them), leaving you $1000 in. The Motor, Tranny, & wheels are worth a lot more than that and we haven't talked about anything else.

The Bad is you are taking a car off the road. But if the Hell Hole is that bad, then Mother Nature already made the decision and you aren't the bad guy
billh1963
With 914 prices finally moving up, any car that can "reasonably" be saved should be. The big question is what price does "reasonably" equate too?
EdwardBlume
In the first 1000 ever built, with a build date of 11/69, for that price.....

Its tempting from just a historical / restoration perspective.
rick 918-S
I have purchased cars for parts. Don't forget it will cost at least a grand to move it. So at 4200.00... I just did this. Purchased a car from OR, drove there and picked it up. the trip was 1500.00 +The car was $ 500.00 for a shell. I'm using the front fenders. Not much else is good. So... was it worth it? Maybe.
gms
You are in luck being in the Chicagoland area because we have Garold right over the border in Portage IN. Garold is always cutting up 914s that are not repairable.
shoot me an email and we can talk about what you are in need of
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(gms @ Oct 19 2014, 11:31 AM) *

You are in luck being in the Chicagoland area because we have Garold right over the border in Portage IN. Garold is always cutting up 914s that are not repairable.

bye1.gif agree.gif beerchug.gif
fixer34
QUOTE(gms @ Oct 19 2014, 11:31 AM) *

Glen;
Sorry, I was out of town for a week and didn't follow the thread. Your name sounds familiar-I think we crossed paths or exchanged notes/emails somewhere along the line. I'll have to shoot Garold a email. At the urging of this group, I just had my /6 appraised. Came in at $35k just the way she sits right now. Mostly original, not perfect, but pretty good condition.
Pete
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.