Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: defroster intake grill?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
siverson
Do all cars have this plastic grill between the windshield cowl and fresh air intake box, or just the late cars?

Trying to make sure I bolt my -6 back together correctly. It didn't have one, and I want to make sure that is correct for an early car or a 1970 -6.

Thanks,
Steve
SirAndy
I'm pretty sure early cars didn't have the leaf catcher ...
idea.gif
McMark
Yup, it came in 74 IIRC.
JmuRiz
My 73 doesn't have one...but I wish it did.
Steve Snyder
QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 17 2014, 08:18 PM) *

Yup, it came in 74 IIRC.

agree.gif

The screen made it's long-overdue appearance in 1974.

That being said, I'd consider adding one to any car (6 or 4) that is not destined to be a CW show car. Stuff gets sucked in there quickly, and it's not exactly easy to clean out...
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Steve Snyder @ Oct 18 2014, 05:52 AM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 17 2014, 08:18 PM) *

Yup, it came in 74 IIRC.

it's not exactly easy to clean out...

agree.gif agree.gif
You can say that again.
rick 918-S
Back when I first got the Alien (1992?) it didn't have one. I slipped a piece of screen under the cowl. It works nicely and is not easily noticed.
Mikey914
I made the molded seal to add it in if your car didn't have one or it just needs to be replaced. We are working on making a replica of the screens, but they are 5 weeks out. You can use perforated metal to replace it.120 thick. (can't recall the gage).

On the original 6 leave it out.
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 18 2014, 10:13 AM) *

On the original 6 leave it out.

a 1970 should look like this.........
Dave_Darling
Not after the fall of 1970, it shouldn't. It should have lots of pine needles, and a couple of dried leaves, stuck in there.... wink.gif

--DD
siverson
Thanks for the info everyone.

> On the original 6 leave it out.

Yeah, that's what I'll do.

While my -6 isn't 100% "correct" (i.e. I opted to powder coat some parts instead of paint), I have, in general, been trying to keep this one original.

-Steve
partwerks
I recall seeing a small piece of stainless steel screen at work, and some woven, that I think just might work in there in place of the current screen once he gets all that junk torn out of the cowl area, I can look into it further on the size issue..........
Mikey914
QUOTE(siverson @ Oct 19 2014, 09:36 PM) *

Thanks for the info everyone.

> On the original 6 leave it out.

Yeah, that's what I'll do.

While my -6 isn't 100% "correct" (i.e. I opted to powder coat some parts instead of paint), I have, in general, been trying to keep this one original.

-Steve

I doubt yours will accumulate crap in there as it probably lives pretty sheltered like biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.